Was it totally solo or was Mark Spencer with him? I saw Jay and Mark in Aug of '04 and I too was 'completely mesmerized and time stopped'. Great thread. I agree.

Hey, you guys know I have my own message board you can kiss my ass on, right?

I was going to post earlier and say that you were awesome. I enjoy your voice and think you are a better guitarist than Mark Spencer.

Could you get rid of all that space junk though?

Guest JayFarrar
I was going to post earlier and say that you were awesome. I enjoy your voice and think you are a better guitarist than Mark Spencer.

Pretty stupid huh? Do you like the roman numerals bit?

I don't think we should be talking about this.

Are you calling for an RAA-style filibuster of this thread?

Was it totally solo or was Mark Spencer with him? I saw Jay and Mark in Aug of '04 and I too was 'completely mesmerized and time stopped'. Great thread. I agree.

yeah, mark was with him. awesome lap steel player. wonder why he didn't join the 'new' son volt. would've fit perfectly.

yeah, maybe on space junk and the alternative versions of songs are unnecessary. would have done well on a bonus disc. i do think jay playin' lead guitar is awesome and don't know why he doesn't do it in son volt.

yeah, mark was with him. awesome lap steel player. wonder why he didn't join the 'new' son volt. would've fit perfectly.

I agree with you. My guess, based on looking at the band, he's too old?

yeah, maybe on space junk and the alternative versions of songs are unnecessary. would have done well on a bonus disc. i do think jay playin' lead guitar is awesome and don't know why he doesn't do it in son volt.

I agree... Terroir would have been a very solid album with some strategic editing. I think Jay is a good lead player but maybe not as technically adept as some he works with. I'm pumped whenever he does take a lead during his live shows...Chicamauga comes to mind.

Mark is actually in the studio now along with Jay, Chris Masterson, Andrew DuPlantis and Dave Bryson working on the new album. Mark is playing keys and lap steel like he did on the most recent SV shows. He is a monster. Masterson and Spencer are a hell of a guitar attack.

Yeah, that board blows.

:lol True that. Except for my 10,031 posts, of course.

:lol True that. Except for my 10,031 posts, of course.

Damn. :lol I posted a couple times a few years ago but it wasn't for me. Way too much testosterone. At one point, there was some kind of Farrar board invasion here, but I think that was because that board was down for a while.

It is, as the 6 regular female posters say, a 'sausage fest'. Recently one of them started a 'Ladies Lounge' thread where they go to post things of a strictly XX interest. :lol They are some good people, the Jay women. Wish there were more of 'em posting. I can understand why though...

I never understood TB. Maybe it was the complete plethora of totally unnecessary tracks. Maybe it was that the album seemed loaded with filler "alternate versions." I'm not sure. I once trimmed it down to a respectable 8 track EP that I enjoyed mildly, but it still has never really found its way into rotation. I still think of it as the worst Jay-related release too. This is due entirely to Space Junk and alternates. It just felt like he could have done better. Then again, he released "Trace" and how can you ever equal that again?

trace does leave the bar set pretty high. but space junk really isn't on the list of songs you're gonna yell out for an encore....... Chicamunga, yeah........

trace does leave the bar set pretty high. but space junk really isn't on the list of songs you're gonna yell out for an encore....... Chicamunga, yeah........

Ha ha! It would be hilarious if someone yelled out "SPACEJUNK" and then Jay played it.

i would be scared , honestly

Its that voice. One of the all-time great voices. Amazing.

Yes. It gets to the core of my being.

Its that voice. One of the all-time great voices. Amazing.

Yes, but let's not also forget his guitar playing. One of my favorite singer songwriters and also one of my favorite guitarists. For sure.

Trace and Straightaways, in addition to 4 remarkable UT albums = pure genious.