Mike Watt interview (done for a Nels Cline feature)

Thanks for that. Watt and Nels make such great interview subjects.

This reminds me, I was sent a copy of State of Mind magazine a year or two ago, and I was impressed by the quality. I intended to order a subscription, but it slipped my mind. I'll try to remember to do that this weekend.

Once at a show at the Casbah in San Diego, Watt's drummer's pedal busted, and Watt asked if anyone in the crowd had a pedal. One guy spoke up, he said he lived down the street and could be back with one in ten minutes. Show stopped, Watt sat down and chatted with a bunch of us. Guy came back with the pedal, everyone cheered, show resumed. Punk!

Once at a show at the Casbah in San Diego, Watt's drummer's pedal busted, and Watt asked if anyone in the crowd had a pedal. One guy spoke up, he said he lived down the street and could be back with one in ten minutes. Show stopped, Watt sat down and chatted with a bunch of us. Guy came back with the pedal, everyone cheered, show resumed. Punk!

Awesome. That reminds me that Watt was playing a Squier bass that he borrowed from an audience member (or maybe it was the opening band) at the gig that was recorded for the Firehose "Live Totem Pole EP".

:lol

when I saw the ergs a few weeks back (in some abandoned warehouse in Williamsburg) the stage that was built an hour before the show collapsed twice, and the show stopped for repairs. DIY still exists.

I poured Mike Watt a glass of beer at a backyard keg party.

fIREHOSE had just played a show at Carleton College in Northfield MN. My friend's roommate had origanized the show, so they invited the band over for BBQ...

I hope you had a lot of BBQ and beer. I'm thinking George Hurley can put away a lot of both.

I hope you had a lot of BBQ and beer. I'm thinking George Hurley can put away a lot of both.

I don't recall much about the party at all. I'm guessing it was the Spring of 1989 or 90. I seem to recall Watt having a faceful of BBQ sauce. I don't recall memories of George Hurley or Ed from Ohio at all.

I don't recall much about the party at all. I'm guessing it was the Spring of 1989 or 90. I seem to recall Watt having a faceful of BBQ sauce. I don't recall memories of George Hurley or Ed from Ohio at all.

I guess that means you had plenty of beer.