damn. one of my favorite people . . .

Helluva writer. Never met him, but I did meet Arthur Miller once. I blushed like a schoolgirl.

Oh fuck.....RIP Studs....one of the true greats.

This sucks but he had a really great life.

I have a story about Studs. Several years ago I was in Lincoln Square at the Sulzer Regional Library with my family and Studs and his wife got out of a cab right in front and looked confused. I asked if he needed assistance and he said he was looking for the Old Town School of Folk Music. The OTS had rehabbed the old regional Hild Library that had stood empty for years and the day I ran into him the OTS was having an opening. So I directed Studs back up the street a couple blocks to the correct place. I felt badly that they got off at the wrong spot.

I also have a vague recollection of picketing in front of the Marriot on Michigan Ave and Studs walking by and stopping to talk to us about whatever we were picketing about. He nearly always wore a red checked shirt, tweed jacket ,and red socks. Studs was one of the last of the great "reds".

LouieB

alas.

a few years ago i went to an event at the museum of televison & radio history here in l.a. studs was in the audience and got called up to take the stage with another radio guy. what resulted was a crazy radio love fest. they just kept sharing stories about working in radio. it was wonderful.

i've read many of his books, but my favorite is "coming of age."

thanks studs, for giving us the opportunity to listen to these incredible stories! you will be missed! :cheers

boy. this is one man i am really sad to see go. :hmm

Aw, hell. :(

I read Working sometime probably during my freshman year of college and it was definitely a watershed moment for me to realize books like this even exist. The stories he was able to draw out of people just amazed me. I've read a lot of his stuff since then, but that one remains a sentimental favorite. You'll be missed, Studs.