2008 Umbrella Music Festival...

I am planning to go to many of the shows. I won't be able to catch Saturday's show because I'm heading up to Kalamazoo to see a Dylan show. But the festival will be a great way to unwind from the election. All the nights look great, but I'm most looking forward to the Alexander von Schlippenbach /Paul Lovens duo on Wed.

Tonight' show at Elastic (2830 N Milwaukee Ave) should be a great way to start the week. Elastic website states the show starts at 10pm, but in an email from Dave Rempis it showed a 9pm start.

Z

Sunday night does look very good (Jim Baker and group as well as two groups with Nikki Mitchell) and Wednesday is free, but late for a work night. I do like the Hungry Brain though....

It is interesting that Ken Vandermark is nowhere to be seen unless I am just not seeing his name...

LouieB

I'll probably be at the Hungry Brain on Sunday, I'd like to goto the hideout on saturday but I've got work.

I'll defiantly check out Jeff Parker at the culture center on Wednesday. I caught his organ quartet at the green mill the other week, great stuff but with Parker it always is.

Vandermark does help curate the festival. But since you brought this up, I don't remember him ever playing during the festival. So I looked at the past schedules and indeed he in not any of the schedules. Perhaps he wants to use the funds available on other players, which is a good thing.

I really only know Jeff Parker from his involvement with the Scott Amendola Band, but I loved seeing his trio when I was in Chicago in June. I know he's got a new trio with Scott Amendola and John Shifflett and that Scott is going to be selling downloads of a show they did in San Francisco last month on his website soon.

Can anybody recommend a few other Jeff Parker albums for me to check out?

I really only know Jeff Parker from his involvement with the Scott Amendola Band, but I loved seeing his trio when I was in Chicago in June. I know he's got a new trio with Scott Amendola and John Shifflett and that Scott is going to be selling downloads of a show they did in San Francisco last month on his website soon.

Can anybody recommend a few other Jeff Parker albums for me to check out?

Oh man....he is on tons of CDs...late Tortoise, Isotope 217 (particularly the first one) Exploding Star Orchestra. I don't know his solo stuff on Thrill Jockey but I am guessing it is good too. He is/was associated with AACM groups so stuff with Ernest Dawkins, Fred Anderson, etc is probably all interesting. Park yourself at the Velvet Lounge it looks like he is playing there several times just in November, which doesn't count is gigs other places. He is truly an MVP.

I have seen him play dozens of times with all sorts of groups. If you don't know Nicole Mitchell...she is worth checking out too.

LouieB

Also check out Parker on Vandermark Powerhouse Sound CD (atavistic.com). His stuff with The Chicago Underground Trio/Quartet and Isotope 217 is also rather good. Lastly he's on a number of Fred Anderson disks (Live at the Velvet Lounge - Vol. Two and he is on a few tracks on the From the River to the Ocean.)

Regarding the Exploding Star Orchestra, there is a live show (11.1.08 from Germany), where Roscoe Mitchell sits in with the band up on the Dime a Dozen website. Definitely worth the download.

Also check out Parker on Vandermark Powerhouse Sound CD (atavistic.com). His stuff with The Chicago Underground Trio/Quartet and Isotope 217 is also rather good. Lastly he's on a number of Fred Anderson disks (Live at the Velvet Lounge - Vol. Two and he is on a few tracks on the From the River to the Ocean.)

Regarding the Exploding Star Orchestra, there is a live show (11.1.08 from Germany), where Roscoe Mitchell sits in with the band up on the Dime a Dozen website. Definitely worth the download.

Oh yea...the Underground Quartet stuff is good too, I forgot that.

I should actually try and download that ESO thing with Roscoe....big fan of his....

As with any musicians you like, trying to collect their entire discography can make you go broke. But the first Isotope 217 could be a good place to start actually. (unstable molecule) (hell I just discovered there is a third one...from 8 years ago too...damn. :lol )

LouieB

I had not expected this to be crowded, but it was. I waltzed into the Hideout just before the first group was to go on and all the seats were taken. By the time the first group did get started, musician time-about half an hour late, the music room was full and I eventually went up front and sat on the floor. The first quartet with musicians from Poland, Switzerland, and Boston was enjoyable, if not thrilling.

Next up was John Tchicai and Hamid Drake. Tchicai's major claim to fame is having played on the seminal free jazz album Ascension by John Coltrane. Drake is a Chicago favorite and world class drummer. Together their set was amazing, with Tchicai on saxes, wooden flute, vocals and at the end cow-bell. Hamid played traps, frame drum and vocals. The crowd went wild on this and it was the best set of the night, afterwhich the place cleared out a bit and I found an actual chair in the first row.

Douglas Ewart and his larger band Inventions was also quite good. I had not seen him for many years, but with Mwata Bowden on sax and unexpectedly Edward Wilkerson on sax it was an exciting show. Dee Alexander on vocals added alot, while Jeff Parker filled in more on rhythm guitar than anything else. Ewart did a piece on a toy that was wild and Wilkerson, Bowden, and Ewart all played a cool thing on these long bamboo tubes.

It was an interesting mix of younger and older fans. Sadly this was the only night of this I made.

LouieB

Sounds like good stuff.

On a side note: As one early poster mentioned, Vandermark is gone for a while in Europe. But his next Chicago show is with the DKV trio and Fred Anderson with a set by each person. It's on December 17th, and hopefully it's playing at a no age limit place!

Also with Jeff Parker, check out his solo album "Like-Coping" it's pretty good. Moreover, I would recommend "Flamethrower," for Parker's playing with Chicago Underground. There is some killer stuff on that album.

On a side note: As one early poster mentioned, Vandermark is gone for a while in Europe. But his next Chicago show is with the DKV trio and Fred Anderson with a set by each person. It's on December 17th, and hopefully it's playing at a no age limit place!
Needless to say they did announce this show, but I forget where it is, the Hideout maybe?? One of the usual places but it doesn't seem to be posted anywhere. Let me keep looking. This group rarely plays anymore. There is a cool Okkadisk release from 97 fo this group with Anderson. (and a pic of Fred standing outside the old Velvet for nostalgia sake.)

I plan to make this and hope it is somewhere you can get in. edit- It is posted on Ken's website but no site. He has a killer European tour though...man.

LouieB

edit- It is posted on Ken's website but no site. He has a killer European tour though...man.

LouieB

The DKV Trio show will be at the Hideout - if you click Dec 17, 2008 on his tour page it shows the venue.

Tomorrow night should be another great show at the Hideout.

Wednesdays November 12 9:30

Immediate Sound

presents a special event

Michael Zerang's 50th Birthday Celebration

featuring

set I The Thing Mats Gustafsson saxophones / Ingebrigt H

There is apparently a Hamid Drake birthday party sometime soon also. For some reason the Hideout's calendar doesn't go into December, or maybe I am just missing something.

LouieB

I haven't heard about Drake's B-day party.

I did notice on Zerang's website that Zerang and Drake are playing at the MCA in a puppet show

http://www.mcachicago.org/performances/per...tail.php?id=375. That may interesting.

Also later in December Zerang and Drake will be doing their annual Winter Solstice shows. I never have made it to one of these shows. Every year I say I'm going to catch one of them. Perhaps this year.

I haven't heard about Drake's B-day party.

Also later in December Zerang and Drake will be doing their annual Winter Solstice shows. I never have made it to one of these shows. Every year I say I'm going to catch one of them. Perhaps this year.

It is also possible I confused the Zerang and Drake birthday thing....we shall see.

I have been to the solstice many times over the years. I missed the first few years, but once I did start going I hated to miss it. Actually attendence at this has increased year by year after they announced they weren't going to do it any more. It is a very moving experience, although it is sort of relaxing as well so one is likely to doze off if you have a comfortable seat. Since it starts before the sun comes up and ends after sunrise you do have to be an early riser. I suggest buying a ticket ahead because some shows do sell out. It usually includes all sorts of drumming, both hand drums and trap sets and a variety of percussion. It gets particularly interesting when Hamid chants.

It is a great experience, even if you have to go to work afterwards. it looks like this is happening the 12-21 of December and as usual tickets are available at Bookworks across the street from Links Hall.

LouieB

• 1 month later...
A reminder (bump) for the DKV Trio show at the Hideout tomorrow.

Thanks for doing this. I was just looking at the Velvet Lounge line-up and they mention it there. Unfortunately Fred is playing the second set (the first starts at 9:30) and so I doubt I will make it. report back though. DKV rarely plays anymore so this is an event.

LouieB

Did you happen to go to this? Mats Gustafsson is playing in Philadelphia at the end of next month, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the four-hour drive. I first heard about it because Thurston Moore is opening for him. I'm already planning a trip to Philadelphia in February to see Glenn with the Bang On a Can All-Stars, so I'm thinking I may have to skip the Gustafsson show, but I wanted to make sure I'm not going to miss something incredible.

I did not make it to Zerang's Birthday bash, but I have seen Mats Gustafsson play a half dozen times or so and he is definitely worth checking out. Is it worth a four-hour Drive? Its hard to say because he plays in Chicago a lot so I never had to drive that far to see him play. But if it was the only opportunity to see him perform, I would take a drive and catch him.

The Thing just put out a box set (((THE THING "NOW AND FOREVER" (4 DISC BOX SET))). A DVD is part of the set and Thurston Moore sits in with The Thing for a long extended tune. It is a total shredding by all four members involved.

Is Mats playing with The Thing in Philadelphia?

Thanks for doing this. I was just looking at the Velvet Lounge line-up and they mention it there. Unfortunately Fred is playing the second set (the first starts at 9:30) and so I doubt I will make it. report back though. DKV rarely plays anymore so this is an event.

LouieB

Sorry Lou, I did not make the show. We should start a petition to have these shows start earlier. I get up at 4:15 for work during the week, so it takes extra motivation to get out to see these shows, usually a show like the DKV Trio does the trick.

Anyway, did you or anyone else make it to the Hideout?

Sorry Lou, I did not make the show. We should start a petition to have these shows start earlier. I get up at 4:15 for work during the week, so it takes extra motivation to get out to see these shows, usually a show like the DKV Trio does the trick.

Anyway, did you or anyone else make it to the Hideout?

I was up early also and just can't handle this kind of show in the middle of the week most of the time. Sucks doesn't it?? Considering Fred and DKVs set would probably start around 11 after the first set was over and some DJ time. Oh well.

Hey join us for Von on the 30th if you don't have to work. (see von for the holiday thread).

LouieB