Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm reading too much into that cover artwork, but it strikes me as another sign of Jason trying to distance himself from an alt-country sound.

That cover is absolutely gorgeous, but it just doesn't look "twangy" to me, if that makes any sense. Compare it to Sirens of the Ditch...

Maybe I'm reading too much into that cover artwork, but it strikes me as another sign of Jason trying to distance himself from an alt-country sound.

That cover is absolutely gorgeous, but it just doesn't look "twangy" to me, if that makes any sense. Compare it to Sirens of the Ditch...

If you listen to the link to the samples above (if it's still live), there's an absolute departure from the "alt.country" sound. Lots of buttery soul in the new album from what I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...
2009 Tour To Support New Album Announced

JASON ISBELL AND THE 400 UNIT ANNOUNCE 2009 TOUR SUPPORTING NEW ALBUM

"Combine the sounds of Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, and Aretha Franklin and you've got Jason Isbell, a 28-year-old reviving Southern musical history." -ESQUIRE

Muscle Shoals, AL - Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit announce their first tour in support of their new self-titled album (Release date: February 17, 2009 on Lightning Rod Records). Presented by Paste Magazine, the tour will begin in Birmingham, AL on February 12 and continue through the band's mid-March SXSW showcase in Austin, TX. Benji Hughes, Deer Tick, and Sons of Roswell will support select dates.

Fans can pre-order concert tickets through Front Gate Tickets from now until December 19. Pre-order ticket buyers will also receive a one-year subscription to Paste Magazine and an MP3 of "Seven-Mile Island" from the new album.

PRE-ORDER LINK: http://jasonisbell.frontgatetickets.com/

TOUR DATES:

Thu-Feb-12 Birmingham, AL Workplay

Sat-Feb-14 Florence, AL Shoals Theater

Tue-Feb-17 Athens, GA Georgia Theatre

Wed-Feb-18 Atlanta, GA The Earl

Fri-Feb-20 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre

Sat-Feb-21 Richmond, VA The National

Sun-Feb-22 Harrisonburg, VA The Pub

Tue-Feb-24 Boston, MA TT the Bears

Thu-Feb-26 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom

Fri-Feb-27 Philadelphia, PA World Caf

It was between TT's and the Bowery. Since my husband hates driving anywhere around Boston, NYC won out. Also it's closer to the weekend. Maybe we'll take an impromptu road trip to Philly, too. We've done it before!

I'm actually hoping they'll add a Northampton show the day after Boston. That one would win by a landslide.

• 4 weeks later...