Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still say the guitar playing on that song is straight out of a John Mayer composition...

Yep, it's that "Waiting for the World to Change" lick. Despite the cheesiness of the melody, the lyrics on that song are still really strong, though...I think Pitchfork nailed it, for once.

Yep, it's that "Waiting for the World to Change" lick. Despite the cheesiness of the melody, the lyrics on that song are still really strong, though...I think Pitchfork nailed it, for once.

yeah, i do like the song regardless

Wow really beautiful. Loved the whole thing but especially the end about the "cinematic feeling" he hopes the record evokes. Gotta say, his songs have always done that for me. What a great songwriter coming into his own. Thanks for the link.

I believe you are correct. I hear the lyrics a tiny bit differently than I originally did and they fit your theory more than mine.

The more I listen to "Sunstroke" the more I think we are both correct. I think he talks to both Patterson and Shonna in the song. The song is ultimately aimed at the entire band.

The more I listen to "Sunstroke" the more I think we are both correct. I think he talks to both Patterson and Shonna in the song. The song is ultimately aimed at the entire band.

I went to NYC last night for the show. Man, that band just blows my mind. They are all SO good. I was in front of Browan and it's mesmerizing watching him play. I'm waiting for someone else to post a setlist, but one of the highlights was their cover of 'Into The Mystic'. And they played 'The Assassin' to send Patterson good wishes for a speedy recovery! There were two disappointments though....no 'Decoration Day' and no 'However Long'. But we did get 'Danko/Manuel', 'Goddamn Lonely Love', 'Outfit', and 'Never Gonna Change'. I have a feeling DD was supposed to be the final encore song but the club cut them off. Oh, and, HOLY SHIT does 'Sunstroke' sound good live!!!

I went to NYC last night for the show. Man, that band just blows my mind. They are all SO good. I was in front of Browan and it's mesmerizing watching him play. I'm waiting for someone else to post a setlist, but one of the highlights was their cover of 'Into The Mystic'. And they played 'The Assassin' to send Patterson good wishes for a speedy recovery! There were two disappointments though....no 'Decoration Day' and no 'However Long'. But we did get 'Danko/Manuel', 'Goddamn Lonely Love', 'Outfit', and 'Never Gonna Change'. I have a feeling DD was supposed to be the final encore song but the club cut them off. Oh, and, HOLY SHIT does 'Sunstroke' sound good live!!!

Glad to hear the show was excellent. I had my choice between Jason and Blitzen Trapper. I've seen Jason 3 times in the past 2 years and I've never seen BT. I went with the latter. I saw the Unit when it was like their 4th or 5th show. I'd be curious to hear how they sound at this point.

Seven-Mile Island

Soldiers Get Strange

Chicago Promenade

Try

No Choice in the Matter *

Danko/Manuel *

The Assassin

Cigarettes and Wine

Never Gonna Change

Goddamn Lonely Love

The Last Song I Will Write

Outfit