The city formerly known as Bombay

Bad stuff. Eighty dead (so far), attacks all over the city, Americans and westerners targeted. Looks like Islamic terrorists.

Maybe this is just my sheltered American mind thinking this but all this does again is make me think a few select thoughts that I seem to come back to with unfaltering regularity:

1-"How the fuck can one human do this to another? How?" There's no other way to phrase this question in my mind.

2-"How can one person do this based on what they claim are their religious beliefs, especially when that religion preaches peace?" This question leads me to my complete hatred of organized religion because these can be the results of those who twist it to their own personal hatreds rather than what the religion is actually preaching.

Just sad, sad times. I wish nothing but the best to those in that area.

My niece is traveling with a school group in India -- they are now in Jaipur. Needless to say, we are happy all is ok with her but our thoughts are with those affected. Apparently, this is not an infrequent occurrence :(

Good summary of Hindu-Muslim tensions throughout the centuries:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...62650-1,00.html

9/11 was/is terrifying, but a handful of dudes running around with automatic weapons and grenades in a major metropolitan area lacks so much complexity that all you can react with is fear. Despite the smaller scale, this blows my mind in a number of ways. Think about how easy it would be to pull off anywhere.

Maybe this is just my sheltered American mind thinking this but all this does again is make me think a few select thoughts that I seem to come back to with unfaltering regularity:

1-"How the fuck can one human do this to another? How?" There's no other way to phrase this question in my mind.

2-"How can one person do this based on what they claim are their religious beliefs, especially when that religion preaches peace?" This question leads me to my complete hatred of organized religion because these can be the results of those who twist it to their own personal hatreds rather than what the religion is actually preaching.

Just sad, sad times. I wish nothing but the best to those in that area.

I agree that this is horrific and sad, but to answer the questions (which I assume were rhetorical but I'll answer anyway)

The answer to both questions is you get you mind conditioned to the notion that the target is just that a target, not a human being. You dehumanize them and it makes it so much easier to do. Miltaries have been doing it for centuries, including ours. In WWI it was the Hun that had to be killed, not Frans the family man. In WWII it was Nips and krauts. Korea, the Commies, Vietnam it was gooks, slopes etc... When I was in we were conditioned to hate Russians, comies etc... It works for the religious aspect also. Be they godless heathens on the plains of the western US or papists during various european wars to the current "Islamic militants" A view of them is created that dehumanizes them and pits them as enemies of what you hold toyour faith. Make them faceless, nameless ennemies of your faith and or country and it becomes easier to do this sort of thing.

Just look at the senseless destruction man has been able to conduct this previous century and shooting someone in the face because you hate their religion or country is realatively easy for many.