What I Ate Today

hmmm my spinach receipe is by heart; I threw out the cookbook long ago. Here goes....

Fresh spinach -- lots of it. I think I used five bags of the prewashed kind

2 lbs of cheese (I use muenster and mozzarella; creativity here is fine)

2 eggs

2 medium onions

2-4 cloves of garlic

sautee the onion and garlic -- set aside

cook down the spinach 1 bag at a time and put in a colander to drain. The more water removed the better. Also get rid of any big stems.

beat the eggs, add salt/pepper to them

shred a little more than half the cheese (any proportion -- I have never been picky), slice the rest

In a casserole dish, mix the spinach and the onion/garlic, then add the egg, then the shredded cheese. Lastly, put the sliced cheese on top in some pretty pattern, or just randomly. Actually, this is where the orange rind of the muenster comes in handy. Eat whatever is left of the sliced cheese

then place in a 375 oven for 30-45 minues until really nice and bubbly and brown on top. I always check every 15 minutes. You can cover it about half the time it's in the oven (or not). You can par cook it and put in the fridge, or just prepare until it goes into the oven. This is where the holiday fun comes in -- figuring out how far to cook it how far in advance.

This is much better than the old days when you had to wash every frigging leaf.

That sounds excellent, Wendy! Why don't you share the recipe here so we can all steal it! :eat

Well, I was being lazy i.e. if nobody cared about the recipe enough to PM me, I wouldn't bother finding it and typing it up. :blush

But I will now for you :hug if you give me a day or two, I'll add it here.

Haha, sorry 'bout that Wendy, but just think of all those happy Wilco-loving homes next Thanksgiving, filled with good music and the smells of roasting turkey and green beans with Italian "salsa" fresh tomato topping.....and Edie's spinach! I ask you, is this a lovely image or what? :yes

Here's the recipe Donna!

GREEN BEANS WTIH TOMATOES

Serves 6

GREEN BEANS:

2 lbs fresh green beans, cooked until tender but not overcooked.

(fresh is way better, but you can use 2-3 cans cut or whole grean beans,

just be sure not to overcook them either, because they will fall apart something terrible)

TOMATO SAUCE:

1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp butter

1 medium onion chopped

1 clove garlic minced

1 Tbsp minced celery

2 to 3 fresh tomatoes coarsely diced (or could use stewed tomatoes if you have no fresh)

1/2 Tbsp parsley flakes

1/4 tsp rosemary

1 tsp wine vinegar

1/2 tsp basil

1/4 tsp sugar

salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil and butter, simmer onion, garlic, celery for 5 minutes.

Add tomato and seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour tomato sauce over cooked green beans before serving.

You can make this tomato sauce ahead of time, refrigerate, and reheat just before serving.

Enjoy!

My green bean casserole is fabulous, but I mostly ignore the standard recipe and wing it. Let's see, our dinner included:

a 22-lb. turkey (about 20 pounds of terrific leftovers, yay!)

stuffing

mashed potatoes

gravy

green bean casserole

layered salad

pickles! olives! sometimes stuck on fingertips in the traditional manner

ambrosia

homemade yeast rolls

pistachio-crusted cheese log

raspberry trifle

pumpkin pie still untouched because we ran out of room

I think that's it. Wow, we are so lucky to have such abundance of good things! :yes

Edie, please share the spinach recipe!

I am so gonna spend next Thanksgiving in your house Donna :eat (if you won't take me on, I'll nip over to Wendy's :P)