What I Ate Today

I had Thanksgiving at my brother's new house today. It was a relief because this is the first time in my adult life that I haven't been in charge of putting everything together. The spread was less than spectacular but not too shabby. I probably put on five pounds today.

Turkey

3x Macaroni and cheese (and it was totally boss because I made it)

Stuffing

Green Bean Casserole

2x Candied Yams (also totally boss because I made it)

2x Cranberries

Corn (but very little because it was icky)

Mashed taters and white gravy

Corn chips

Chocolate cream pie

A gas station microwaved burger (soggy ickynes)

Honeycomb cereal

Smarties candies

Popcorn

Which of these things gave me the righteous gas I have now? I'm betting on the mac and cheese, so worth it though. I could heat up a king-sized "dutch oven" right now. :innocent

What did you stuff yourself with?

I ate:

-a nice helping of white-meat turkey

-my dad's AWESOME homemade stuffing

-candied yams [mmmmm Aldi food]

-green bean casserole

-a crescent roll

-mashed butternut squash

-riced potatoes

-my gramma's delicious apple pie

-dad's pumpkin pie

MMMMMmmmmmMMMMMM! Now that I've taken a crap, I'm ready for round two! :eat

I had a small dinner, a little turkey, some stuffing, some grn. bean stuff and some mashed taters. And about 5 glasses of wine. I was pretty proud of myself, until dessert when I had 4 pieces of pie. Then I came home and worked out HARD for about 20 minutes and damn near gave myself a heart attack. I'm thinking I'm gonna jog 4 miles tomorrow morning as opposed to my usual 3 miles.

Guest Speed Racer

Appetizers:

Artichoke dip (which I made and is, in llynn's words, 'boss'), bacon-covered pineapple, breads, roasted garlic cloves, gouda and assorted other cheeses on fancy crackers.

The Big Deal:

Lots o' white meat

Stuffing

Smashed sweet potatoes

Mashed potatoes

Green been 'casserole' - green beans, about 12 cloves of garlic, bread crumbs and half a cup of cheese...it was iffy

Collard greens

Homemade cranberry sauce

Awesome gravy

Pies:

Pumpkin, some chocolate lava extravaganza, and home-whipped cream.

Bottom line: Befriend your culinary co-workers, and leave the rest in the kitchenette.

The usual mother-in-law masterpiece. This year everything on the table was grown or raised on the farm...including my husband.

Organic turkey raised on Breezey Hill (order yours now here)

garden fresh mashed potatoes, long green bean casserole, sweet orangey yams w/ almonds

oyster stuffing from scratch that doesn't taste like oysters

homemade buttery rolls

lots of gravy salted with real salt

fresh cranberry stuff to put on...something. What do you put this on?

homemade apple butter or something (from the great aunt w/out teeth from the Ozarks)

raw milk cottage chesse

fancy cut radishes, carrots and celery

wine

tasty free-tade coffee

homemade pumpkin pie with fresh raw milk whipped cream

mince meat (yuck) pie, some other pie I could not identify, cinnamon rolls, and chocolate cake.

peppermint ice-cream

Tasted better the second time around @ my haus when I could actually let down the manner guard and eat like a real woman.

Turkey (dark meat, of course)

Mashed taters

Stuffing

Gravy on all the above

Green bean casserole

Broccoli and cheese casserole

Homemade cranberry sauce

Crescent rolls

Wine

My mom's homemade blueberry pie

We had two dinners and could have hit a third.

Since we are vegetarians, no turkey, but when people say "OMG, what do you eat on thanksgiving??!!" I recite something like this:

Cheese and crackers

Salad

Mashed potatoes

Spinach Provencale (totally boss -- I am not allowed to show up without it)

Roasted root vegetables

Brussel sprouts

Stuffing (cooked outside the turkey)

Cranberry sauce

And all covered with hollandaise which I use as gravy :x

Then dessert -- bread pudding with vanilla ice cream

Then we did largely the same thing 3 hours later, though way smaller portions and three desserts.

Oh and wine. Copious amounts of wine.

I missed this this year.

Turkey (3x)

Stuffing (3x)

Mashed Potatoes (3x)

Gravy (3x)

Corn

Roll

Candied Yams

12 pack of Sam Adams Light

Yeah, you really wouldn't want to overdo the calories with regular Sammies. :lol

Yeah, I guess that's kinda like having a Diet Coke with your Big Mac :lol

See I would do that 'cuz I'm totally addicted to Diet Coke!!! Coke makes me :stunned

We had two dinners and could have hit a third.

Since we are vegetarians, no turkey, but when people say "OMG, what do you eat on thanksgiving??!!" I recite something like this:

Roasted root vegetables

Oh and wine. Copious amounts of wine.

Roasted root vegies sounds interesting. What kind of roots you eating there sister?

Wine......I provided the Bow-jew-lay New-vou (Sorry, I'm unable to spell most everything French) and ticked off the mother in law something fierce. She had some swill she probably picked up in the deal bin at Walgreens. Funny thing about it......no one, not even her, drank any of the swill she laid out.

Greenbean cassarole.....what IS the deal with that stuff, I just dont get it.

Those of us with Type II diabetes shouldn't be eating Big Macs anyway, but if we do, getting them with a diet Coke makes a bad situation a little less bad.

Does she not like Beaujolais because it's too complex or because it's French? Sounds like a perfectly good Thanksgiving wine to me...

She's Dutch so I'm sure she likes French stuff just fine. I think I somehow stepped over some bizarre line of hers by bringing something that wasnt specifically requested. For me, it just aint Turkey Day without a lil' nip of fresh French vino and I know by now (we're married 11 years) that she sure isnt going to shell out the 14 bucks to make it happen. Ah well, I just cant win for trying......the wine sure was good though! (George DeBueff, 2008)

Roasted root vegies sounds interesting. What kind of roots you eating there sister?

Wine......I provided the Bow-jew-lay New-vou (Sorry, I'm unable to spell most everything French) and ticked off the mother in law something fierce. She had some swill she probably picked up in the deal bin at Walgreens. Funny thing about it......no one, not even her, drank any of the swill she laid out.

Greenbean cassarole.....what IS the deal with that stuff, I just dont get it.

Roasted root veggies had parsnips, turnips, beets, carrots, rudabega, onion and garlic. Had I made them, I would thrown in about double the olive oil and a bunch of herbs. But they were still very good.

And Beaujolais Nouveau is pretty damn good -- an excellent holiday choice.

Green bean casserole for the most part = :yucky

My green bean casserole is fabulous, but I mostly ignore the standard recipe and wing it. Let's see, our dinner included:

a 22-lb. turkey (about 20 pounds of terrific leftovers, yay!)

stuffing

mashed potatoes

gravy

green bean casserole

layered salad

pickles! olives! sometimes stuck on fingertips in the traditional manner

ambrosia

homemade yeast rolls

pistachio-crusted cheese log

raspberry trifle

pumpkin pie still untouched because we ran out of room

I think that's it. Wow, we are so lucky to have such abundance of good things! :yes

Edie, please share the spinach recipe!

My family does not do that green bean/mushroom soup casserole anymore. :no Thank goodness, as we all really prefer Mom to make the green beans this way: Green Beans with Italian "Salsa" Topping recipe. Sort of like a warm chunky bruschetta topping of sauteed chopped fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, rosemary, and olive oil. You can make the tomato topping the day before, and just steam the fresh green beans just before you eat. Love those do-aheads! (PM me if you want the recipe!)