This is a followup on my previous post about modifying my Fender Champ 600. So, I'm looking at replacement speakers (I'm forgoing the kit and just getting individual parts that best suit my needs -- I'm also going to grab some NOS tubes if I can find a good deal), and will probably go with a Weber -- the question is ceramic or AlNiCo? Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm leaning toward the AlNiCo because as I understand it, though my understanding is fairly limited, they tend to be warmer, more harmonically complex, and tend to break up a little easier.

webers are good...

check me on this but i think alnico is a stronger magnet and keeps its magnetic strength longer...ceramics tend to be more 'mellow' sounding, but generally are cheaper to make and supposedly dont have some sonic qualities of alnico...i think youd have to have some amazing hearing to really tell a difference

Hey man...PM me a good mailing address, ill send you a vintage 6v6 i have lying around...my good xmas deed

I hate to be one to promote gear lust....but really. Check this out.

Wow. That does indeed inspire gear lust. Unfortunately, the upgrade costs more than the amp.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Do you have a champ? This would sound great mic'd up on stage but would look less than impressive.

Yeah, the amp I'm working on is a Champ 600.

webers are good...

check me on this but i think alnico is a stronger magnet and keeps its magnetic strength longer...ceramics tend to be more 'mellow' sounding, but generally are cheaper to make and supposedly dont have some sonic qualities of alnico...i think youd have to have some amazing hearing to really tell a difference

Hey man...PM me a good mailing address, ill send you a vintage 6v6 i have lying around...my good xmas deed

Again, my comments in previous posts about how friendly and helpful the regulars in the "SST" forum are justified. Rowboat, I've sent you a PM with my address -- thanks so much.

As for the speakers, I'd been wondering if the difference between the two is noticeable. The price difference is only about $15, but there's no reason to waste the money of I can't hear the difference.

Man I always say how i love to live vicariously thru others' gear experiences...happy to help, and let us know how that old Philco 6v6 performs

Speakers??!? Well its about as subjective as it gets, and hard to try them out...i guess my best advice is that in this case, you generally get what you pay for...also, some speakers 'open up' over time, so its tough to tell what youll end up with

j

This is a followup on my previous post about modifying my Fender Champ 600. So, I'm looking at replacement speakers (I'm forgoing the kit and just getting individual parts that best suit my needs -- I'm also going to grab some NOS tubes if I can find a good deal), and will probably go with a Weber -- the question is ceramic or AlNiCo? Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm leaning toward the AlNiCo because as I understand it, though my understanding is fairly limited, they tend to be warmer, more harmonically complex, and tend to break up a little easier.

There's a lot of good info on Weber's speaker page: http://www.webervst.com/sptalk.html

Speaking of which, why don't you just call or email Ted Weber and ask him? Tell him about the amp you're working on and the sound you're looking for (or if you just want the classic sound of that amp) and he'll direct you to one of his line. I've never spoken to him (I bought my weber on ebay), but he's apparently quite responsive. I think I read somewhere that for fender deluxes he doesn't recommend alnico, but he might recommend that for the smaller fenders (I think the original little amps might have had them). I went ahead and stuck an alnico celestion blue clone in my fender deluxe reverb and it's actually pretty bright now, but it's also pretty vox-y. I think I like it.

Finally, alnicos tend to have a larger bell, so make sure you can fit it in your amp without knocking out the tubes!

Doesn't the Fender 600 have a six inch speaker? That might limit your options since it's a less common size for guitar amps.

I've heard great things about Weber speakers over the last few years on various guitar forums/websites. Sounds like you can't really go wrong with them.

Recently I've been hearing a lot of raves for Tone Tubby hemp speakers. Jimmy Herring talks about them here:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=30843

The bass, the drums and the piano were done pretty fast but I had to redo the guitars because in the studio, when we cut live, I was playing through a little Fender Deluxe amp and the speaker had this thing going on with it where certain notes I would hit would sound like something was wrong with the speaker. There was some stuff worth keeping from the original session but I had to redo the entire thing because everything would be grooving and there would be this one note that would sound awful. It's a phenomenon called 'cone cry.' Do you know what that is?

AAJ: Beyond the usual feedback problem, no. .

JH: It's not feedback so much as it is certain frequencies on certain notes where the cone from the speaker makes a really undesirable noise

• 2 weeks later...
BTW, I just replaced the stock preamp and poweramp tubes. I put a JJ 12AX7 in the preamp and changed from a 6V6 to a 6L6 in the powertube. It's a vintage Sylvania. Sounds super.

Nice combo, love vintage tubes...im sure the 6l6 is beefier...I know the 6l6 takes more power from the transformer, and the transformer that comes in the Champ is already at its capacity with the smaller 6V6-----id really like to know, do you hear a big difference? You might need a new trany to really take advantage of that switch...

Nice combo, love vintage tubes...im sure the 6l6 is beefier...I know the 6l6 takes more power from the transformer, and the transformer that comes in the Champ is already at its capacity with the smaller 6V6-----id really like to know, do you hear a big difference? You might need a new trany to really take advantage of that switch...

I did a fair amount of research to make sure it was "safe". It seems to be okay, given the transformer, etc. I certainly hear a huge difference. The sloppy, fuzzy breakup that I was hearing with the 6V6 is gone. This sounds better, warmer -- bluesier...

I thought about getting a new transformer, like Mercury Magnetics or something, but this is just for bedroom use and I ain't got any extra cash :)