Apple gets with the program

They're charging 30 cents to remove DRM from applicable tracks.

That means that if you've spent $3,030 in the iTunes store since it opened, you'll ONLY have to pay $1,000 to get your tracks de-DRM-med!!111

Really, it wasn't Apple that got with the program, it was the record studios. Apple has wanted to have DRM free songs for a long time, but the record studios have been holding out because they felt Apple had too much power in the market. So they let Amazon and some other stores do DRM-free music for a while to get some competitiveness in the market. Furthermore, Apple was really stubborn about wanting all music to be $.99 no matter what. Eventually though they had to back off on this so that they could get DRM-free music. So now some newer, "hot" tracks are going to be $1.29, regular tracks are $.99 and older tracks are $.69. Apple liked the simplicity of everything being a dollar, but whatever. I don't buy Beyonce stuff anyway, so I won't be the one paying $1.29

This thread was created without DRM, enabling myboyblue to make an exact digital copy of it.

I don't know what you are talking about. :monkey

I don't buy Beyonce stuff anyway, so I won't be the one paying $1.29

You don't 'get' Beyonce yet. Keep listening.

finally! I recently had to reformat my PC, and after reauthorizing my ipod to my newer PC, iTunes refused to let me play those purchased songs. so, its like $100 was tossed out the window. I know, I know, there's an option where you can back up your purchases, but who's got time for that?

finally! I recently had to reformat my PC, and after reauthorizing my ipod to my newer PC, iTunes refused to let me play those purchased songs. so, its like $100 was tossed out the window. I know, I know, there's an option where you can back up your purchases, but who's got time for that?

I believe that you should be able to get all of your songs back that you purchased. They do have record of that. I lost mine once upon a time and got them all back.

In other news, they are offering to upgrade for a few hundred dollars. When I listen, I can't seem to tell the difference between 128 and 256. Am I broken?

that's great! pretty clever hidden punch line.

If you're not familiar with xkcd, just click the RANDOM button for a while to get an idea of its greatness. It's one of my two or three favorite web comics, though the math/physics/programming stuff is sometimes over my head.

If it hooks you, you can catch up on some of the recurring characters and bits via its Wikipedia page.

If DRM is that big of a deal to you, you must already know about burning a CD, then reimporting it, right?

the files are still protected... plus, cds are so out

I'm getting ready to order a new computer, and I'm dreading transferring my iTunes library. The Apple website makes it sound like it's going to be easy enough to authorize my new computer so it can play the tracks I've bought, but I'm still going to back up everything.

it's very easy... I just went through it. You essentially just need to login to your account after the transfer. You just have to remember to deauthorize your old computer as you don't want that to count as 1 of your 5. However, not sure if this whole 5 computer thing goes away with the new non-DRM protected files.

fucking commies

The whole authorizing computer thing is really annoying if you have had an account for years and/or have multiple household computers and/or want to listen to your music at work. I don't think you can deauthorize your old computer if it crashes. The other MP3 stores (Amazon, eMusic) sell all their files without DRM.

The whole authorizing computer thing is really annoying if you have had an account for years and/or have multiple household computers and/or want to listen to your music at work. I don't think you can deauthorize your old computer if it crashes. The other MP3 stores (Amazon, eMusic) sell all their files without DRM.

agreed... but doesn't that whole 5 computer thing fly out the window with the new DRMless stuff?

digital rights manufacturing software - it ensured that you weren't using their product on other mp3 players or being too generous with sharing

hate to bust you Blue, but the proper word is Managment.

Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term that refers to access control technologies used by hardware manufacturers, publishers and copyright holders to limit usage of digital media or devices.

they are still fucking commies

hate to bust you Blue, but the proper word is Managment.

Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term that refers to access control technologies used by hardware manufacturers, publishers and copyright holders to limit usage of digital media or devices.

that's actually what i meant to type in my head... i have manufacturing on the brain for some reason :monkey