Apple gets with the program

Yes. Jules was making the sarcastic commie comment because he didn't understand why people were complaining about DRM (I think). I was explaining why it was annoying.

No sarcasm. I really think they're commies.

you're only saying that cause you don;t want them to make your i-tunes library explode

If DRM is that big of a deal to you, you must already know about burning a CD, then reimporting it, right?

That sounds like shit, though, when the process is done.

• 4 weeks later...
They're charging 30 cents to remove DRM from applicable tracks.

That means that if you've spent $3,030 in the iTunes store since it opened, you'll ONLY have to pay $1,000 to get your tracks de-DRM-med!!111

Has anyone tried doing this?

I'm just trying to figure out how to accomplish stripping previously-purchased songs of DRM.

Also - can someone verify whether or not this new DRM-free era takes care of the whole "authorizing computers" thing? Itunes still has literature on it, so I'm assuming that authorizing/deauthorizing is still there...

I'm just trying to figure out how to accomplish stripping previously-purchased songs of DRM.

Also - can someone verify whether or not this new DRM-free era takes care of the whole "authorizing computers" thing? Itunes still has literature on it, so I'm assuming that authorizing/deauthorizing is still there...

The FAQ answers much of this. I haven't tried it as of yet but am tempted. Many of the albums that I would be interested in upgrading don't appear to be available as of yet.

It basically strips out the song that you previously purchased and replaces with the DRM-free 256kpbs version. Yes, it does take care of the whole authorizing computers thing.

No DRM means no DRM; you can do whatever you want with your music. The files are tagged with your name on them, however, so if you upload it to a filesharing site, everyone will be able to play it, but everyone will know who it came from too. The transition to All DRM-free is not complete yet, plus there will still be DRM on videos for the time being, so that is why the documentation is still up.

No DRM means no DRM; you can do whatever you want with your music. The files are tagged with your name on them, however, so if you upload it to a filesharing site, everyone will be able to play it, but everyone will know who it came from too. The transition to All DRM-free is not complete yet, plus there will still be DRM on videos for the time being, so that is why the documentation is still up.

But - the music I previously purchased - the DRM is still there until I opt to pay $0.30 to "replace" it with a DRM-free file, correct?

I really don't feel like dropping 80 bucks on this.