--Cause for Concern

--Blues, Two

--The Angel of Angels

--He Still Carries a Torch for Her

--Song for Che

--Attempted

--Something About David H. [with Jon Brion]

--Cymbidium

Nels, Scott, and Devin played one long, intense set tonight in the big room at Largo. Some highlights for me: "The Angel of Angels," a sober, piercing elegy; "He Still Carries a Torch for Her," which concluded with Nels sitting on his haunches and holding a creepy doll to his guitar strings, while the doll simulated playing a stringed instrument, propelled by the guitar's vibrations; and of course, Jon Brion's cameo for a track from The Giant Pin. "Something About David H." filled the lovely hall with a fragile eeriness that I don't think I'd heard before at the Coronet.

What a nice mix of songs. I really like the pairing of Thurston County and Build, and they played quite a few of my favorites. I think Something About David H. is one of their most powerful songs live. It killed me the last time I heard them play it, in Asheville last summer.

I know Nels will be busy with Wilco a lot this summer, but I hope these guys can squeeze in a few short tours like they did last summer.

I know Nels will be busy with Wilco a lot this summer, but I hope these guys can squeeze in a few short tours like they did last summer.

Oh Lord yes, I hope so too! Maybe the best show I saw in ALL of '08 was the NCS. Just completely blew me away.