I saw Mott The Hoople in my college days, 1974, when they played at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Loudest band I ever heard live, before or since. It was an epic show and was broadcast live on FM, so naturally a bootleg appeared on vinyl not long after, a very faithful recording. They were a great live band. Not sure I'd want to sully that memory with a reunion show 35 years later...

I saw Mott The Hoople in my college days, 1974, when they played at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Loudest band I ever heard live, before or since. It was an epic show and was broadcast live on FM, so naturally a bootleg appeared on vinyl not long after, a very faithful recording. They were a great live band. Not sure I'd want to sully that memory with a reunion show 35 years later...

Who was in the band then? Mick Ronson, or Ariel Bender? That was about the end. Queen opened for them on that tour.

Who was in the band then? Mick Ronson, or Ariel Bender? That was about the end. Queen opened for them on that tour.

Ariel Bender. Ronson showed up later in the year.

IIRC (and my memories of those days are shall we just say a little hazy), Queen did not open for this show. I think I would remember that...

Ariel Bender. Ronson showed up later in the year.

IIRC (and my memories of those days are shall we just say a little hazy), Queen did not open for this show. I think I would remember that...

I see. I was not sure.

There are some articles about Mott The Hoople in the stack of Circus magazines I have from 1974/75. Also, Mojo Magazine did a nice feature about the band a few years ago.

• 1 year later...

Ian Hunter: The truth about Mott the Hoople, the drugs and the manager with a death wish - The Independant

I don't know squat about Mott The Hoople/Hunter - good interview. Found it interesting that he lives in Connecticut, like Keith Richards. I wonder how many more aging English rockers are living there?

I read that this morning. I believe a lot of rock dudes live there, and/or out west.