Wildlife (1971)

Brain Capers (1971)

All the Young Dudes (1972)

Mott (1973)

The Hoople (1974)

Live (1974)

Posthumous albums:

Two Miles from Heaven (1980)

Original Mixed Up Kids - The BBC Recordings (1996)

All the Young Dudes: The Anthology (1998 triple CD box set)

Rock'n'Roll Circus Live 1972 (2000)

A Tale of Two Cities (2000)

Two Miles From Live Heaven (2001)

Mott the Hoople Live - 30th Anniversary Edition (2004)

Family Anthology (2005)

Live Fillmore West (2006)

Fairfield Halls, Live 1970 (2007)

Old Records Never Die: The Mott the Hoople/Ian Hunter Anthology (2008)

Youtube videos:

Keep A Knockin' (1970)

You Really Got Me (1970)

At The Crossroads (1970)

Rock N Roll Queen (1971)

All The Young Dudes (1972)

All The Way From Memphis (1973)

Drivin' Sister (1973)

News:

Mott The Hoople Mk 1 reunion - it's official!

At last, after months of speculation, it's official. The Mk 1 line up of Mott The Hoople (Ian Hunter, Mick Ralphs, Overend Watts, Verden Allen and Dale Griffin) will reform for two gigs at London's Hamersmith Apollo on 2nd and 3rd October 2009. Fans may know the venue better as Hammersmith Odeon, which was renamed after the venue was sold in the early 1990's.

Rumours were rife after organist Verden Allen appeared to spill the beans in a radio interview in September 2008. They were fuelled further by comments from Zeppelin promoter Rob Hallett who said that another legendary reunion could well happen, saying it would please a lot of people 'of a certain age'. "If you were a teenage boy in the pre-punk 70's, you're going to be very excited. Outside of Led Zeppelin, this is probably the biggest reformation that you could hope for."

A posting on Ian Hunter's website says:

Just thought you'd like to know the Mott the Hoople reunion IS going to take place on October 2nd & 3rd, 2009 at the HMV Hammersmith Apollo in London. It will be the original members - Mick, Pete, Phally, Buff and me. They've asked our esteemed webmaster, Justin, to formulate a Mott the Hoople site which should be up and running in the near future. Why are we doing it? I can't speak for the others, but I'm doing it just to see what it's like. Short of war, death, famine etc. ...it's ON."

I understand tickets will go on sale on 22nd January 2009, priced at

I have around 6 or 7 of their records on CD. Favorite is probably Mott, followed closely by All the Young Dudes.

Never got to see Mott live, but I did get to see (and meet) Ian and Mick Ronson in the late '80s. They did quite a bit of the Mott catalogue, along with much of the very fine "You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic" LP that Mick played on. Very nice guys.

Great, great band.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I was a British dude, because I'm sure this would be a blast. A somewhat comparable U.S. reunion of the Raspberries a couple of years ago resulted in the release of a great live album from those shows, maybe Mott would do something similar.

Anyhow, is the album named after the song "Rock and Roll Queen," released in '74 some sort of U.S. collection of tracks from a couple of different British releases? I have most of their albums, but this one is a standout for me with the title track, "Walking With a Mountain," and yet another great cover of "You Really Got Me," being my favorites. Also, Mick Jones of the Clash was a huge fan and followed them around, much in the same way we follow Wilco around. Great band, that unfortunately is largely ignored here.

EDIT - I just noticed Jeff played Henry and The H Bombs last night. Maybe he really does read the board?

Oh really - I missed that.

The Clash and Mott The Hoople connection:

Guy Stevens

The dude who taught me about Mott The Hoople, way back in the last century, had it:

Rock and Roll Queen

With Mott enjoying huge success with the single All The Young Dudes, and the UK tour to support the album, Island put out this compilation in an attempt to cash in. The cover is quite dreadful, but as an introduction to Island-era Mott the track selection was reasonable (for the time), and it does include the non-LP single Midnight Lady.
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Echoing HWF - yes, we need to hear about these shows! Keeprighton2 - let's hear about it!

Man, I wish I was in London town right now.

I can't believe how good Ian looks for 70 years of age. Work done, you think? Anyway, fair play to him.

Never completely got into the band myself apart from a few tracks here and there.

I was reading about this company somewhere else the other day:

Exclusive Live CD Pre-Order

(18 Sep 2009) This is your exclusive opportunity to pre-order the live cd of the reunion gig of the year! October 1,2009 sees the live return of one of the best loved Rock & Roll bands of all time: Mott The Hoople. It has been 40 years since this highly influential band formed in 1969, and over 35 years since the original line-up has played together. It is with great pleasure that we announce that we are recording the band at the Hammersmith Apollo on the 1st October to create an instant CD for fans to take home straight after the show.

This limited edition live CD is the ONLY recording of the Mott The Hoople reunion show. Presented in bespoke artwork, this is an exclusive 3 CD set featuring songs from their classic albums. Concert Live will be recording the band’s show on the 1st October, selling this live CD directly at this show and at the following 4 dates the band are playing at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Pre-order this live CD for collection at concert or to be posted to you directly after the show. Order now to avoid disappointment! Visit the Concert Live website for ordering information.

I guess the pressure is on, if they are pre-selling live cds.