The Dead @ Obama Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball

Here's the link to some videos I took and posted up on YouTube I recommend clicking the "watch in high quality" link at the bottom of the video player.

Setlist:

I: Dancing in the Streets, Uncle John's Band, Sugar Magnolia, Eyes of the World

Setbreak: Joe and Jill Biden dance

II: The Wheel --> Touch of Grey, Box of Rain

E: Barack and Michelle Obama speak and dance

After spending the day on the Mall watching Obama get sworn in among a truly exuberant crowd, I was fortunate enough to have a ticket to the Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball, one of ten official Inaugural Balls organized by the Obama Inaugural Committee. Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Billy Kreutzman and Mickey Hart were joined by Warren Haynes and Jeff Chimenti in this incarnation of The Dead. Al Franken was in attendance as was Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) who apparently was living out a dream as a roadie for the Dead. He was sidestage for most of the show and would hand Phil his bass, then take it back at the end of the sets, come out and check the monitors and move the cables around on the stage to keep Phil from tripping on them. All in his tux!

I thought the setlist was a good mix of familiar tunes and some chestnuts with lyrics that really spoke to the moment and the emotion in the room. Box of Rain was a personal highlight, with more than enough meaning in the lyrics to go around if you really wanted to find some; from Obama's call to service and sacrifice ('what do you want me to do...") to a major milestone in the fulfillment of Dr. King's dream ("it's all a dream we dreamed one afternoon on the go...."). I don't know if there's such a thing as a perfect day but I think Tuesday came about as close as I can humbly expect.

Awesome, DKN! :cheers

Man, I would have given anything to see Roadie Leahy movin and groovin at the side of the stage. Too cool!

Oh so Brilliant DKN...Sen. Leahy as the roadie love love love that. Nice set list. I am so glad we had VC represented at this event. Here's a tidbit from Leah Garchik's column:

Mickey Hart, who played with the Dead at the Mid-Atlantic Ball, says that after the gig he was backstage talking with Jennifer Lopez when Michelle Obama walked in, "and Jennifer Lopez just disappeared. ... This woman's got power."

Thank you so much for the link to You tube!