I called the radio station to request a song

It was kinda fun.

I wanted to hear some Brinsley Schwarz, on the (very) off-chance that this station might actually have some, and wound up talking about English Pub Rock for about 5 minutes or so. We probably could've talked longer, if the DJ didn't have to, you know, work.

Makes me like the station all the more.

Ever happen to you?

I called WFNX (alternative medium market) late, late one night in early 1992 and asked the guy to play 'Hey Ladies' by the Beastie Boys and he said - 'The Beastie Boys? Are you kidding me?' and hung up. Fast forward three months and the station has 'So What'Cha Want' in heavy rotation...

It was kinda fun.

I wanted to hear some Brinsley Schwarz, on the (very) off-chance that this station might actually have some, and wound up talking about English Pub Rock for about 5 minutes or so. We probably could've talked longer, if the DJ didn't have to, you know, work.

Makes me like the station all the more.

Ever happen to you?

Only once.

Had a chance to talk Springsteen with Redbeard (local radio legend in Dallas) in 1995.

In late '99 I was at a show in Indy and saw flyers for a new Dead-related radio show (midnight-6 am sunday mornings) at a local college station. I started tuning in and calling to request songs, shows, etc.

I got to be pretty good friends with the DJs (Tim & Dave) and ended up doing a lot of trading with them, going to shows, etc. Dave even gave me about 50 Dead shows on cassette after his wife told him their house had no more room for 'em!

The show lasted until about '04. Damn, I miss staying up all night on Saturday, getting baked, and listening to those guys! :ohwell

In the 80s I used to called a New Haven radio station often to request stuff for my drive to school and then started dropping off donuts to the dj's due to the nice interaction we started having. They always played my requests. Once, I called to request a tune and they asked if I wanted to "win " Dead tix (they knew I was into them) on air. Yes, of course, even though I already had tix to that Hartford show.

They had me act surprised on-air as the 4th caller or whatever and I scored the tickets. Gave them to two friends who needed them.

Around 1999 I had a long phone conversation with a DJ in Birmingham AL (who called me after I sent him a hate email). He did a Sunday morning show called Reg's Coffee House, which I informed him was too heavy on any female musician who ever picked up a guitar and informed him I was pissed that he dismissed the new Wilco album on air (Summerteeth). We spoke for an hour and the entire time he wanted to debate me on Train vs. Wilco. To this day that conversation makes me laugh and pissed off at the same time. I think I won the debate.

My first night at college, my roommates all went to a frat party and I stayed in my room, alone and depressed. Around midnight I turned on the college radio station and heard good punk rock. I listened to these crazy dudes for an hour, and then I called the station to request Screeching Weasel ('My Right', I think) and tell them how relieved I was to hear that I wasn't the only freak on campus. I told them the name of my band and they knew who I was. Twenty minutes later I was at the student union meeting them. They saved me, and became my best friends.

It was kinda fun.

I wanted to hear some Brinsley Schwarz, on the (very) off-chance that this station might actually have some, and wound up talking about English Pub Rock for about 5 minutes or so.

Dancing the Night Away by the Motors is one of the best songs ever

(no relation to the Van Halen song)