on-line desktop/screen sharing

I'd like to be able to allow a group of people to view my screen live, on-line.

At work, we use Microsoft Live Meeting for training, etc. I'm looking for something similar for personal use. Preferably free, within minimal software/plug-in installation, for use by PCs, Macs, whatever.

I've found a couple of options (yugma and dimdim), and I'm wondering if anyone here has used these, or knows of another program that does this same thing.

Thanks!

I'd like to be able to allow a group of people to view my screen live, on-line.

At work, we use Microsoft Live Meeting for training, etc. I'm looking for something similar for personal use. Preferably free, within minimal software/plug-in installation, for use by PCs, Macs, whatever.

I've found a couple of options (yugma and dimdim), and I'm wondering if anyone here has used these, or knows of another program that does this same thing.

Thanks!

Ultra VNC. Free, works great. Not sure if you would all need to be on the same network.

You could probably do some IP Port Forwarding (static IP) on your machine if you plan on doing this from home and allowing people to view your machine.

Ultra VNC. Free, works great. Not sure if you would all need to be on the same network.

You could probably do some IP Port Forwarding (static IP) on your machine if you plan on doing this from home and allowing people to view your machine.

Oh, one thing, you would not be able to do voice using this, but you could set up a conference call number.

Great, thanks! No, definitely don't need voice, so that's fine.

I'm afraid you may have lost me on the port-forwarding/static IP business, though! I'll give some of these programs a shot this weekend, see if I can figure out which is the most idiot-proof. :twitchsmile

with this thought, could set up a Dyn Dns as well, in case the outside ip changes. will still need a static ip on the lan, and have the ports forwarded.

i use VNC all over the place. great lil tool, once you get it configured.

i use it so when my boss goes" dude, my computer doesn;t work" , i don;t have to drive across town to find out it's just user error

OK, I like the multiple votes of confidence for this one! :thumbup

Now, can someone confirm for me that this is going to work for even a non-techy person/group of people?

I download and install the software, open up a webpage that I want my friends to be able to view, and then what? Do they also have to have the same program installed, or can I just send them a link or an invitation or something to let them view my desktop?

The reason I was leaning toward yugma, above, is that from what I can tell from the tutorials, etc., the other people don't have to have anything (besides Java) installed. I can just invite them in to view my screen.

each "client " would require the VNC viewer, which is a small .exe, so requires no installation. to make life simple, you can also use a java viewer, i believe... ( been a while since i've tried that).

personally, i've been using Tight VNC, but there is also , Ultra, Real, and a few other variants. all use the same core technology. originally developed in AT&T labs , many years ago

each "client " would require the VNC viewer, which is a small .exe, so requires no installation. to make life simple, you can also use a java viewer, i believe... ( been a while since i've tried that).

OK, I'll play around with that, then. Thanks, all! :cheekkiss

You work in IT?

un-officially. i have more computer knowledge than anyone else in the company, so.... we'll just say i wear a lot of hats.

company has grown, we are up to 26 , i think.

just had to walk the boss through something, and VNC to the rescue.

man it will be nice when we are back in 1 building. only another couple of months!!!

I use TightVNC a ton as well as Log Me In Free at http://www.logmein.com/, for free one-on-one desktop sharing across the 'net without worrying about port forwarding or opening ports on firewalls. I'm not sure if it has any many-to-one sharing abilities, but the LogMeIn software is excellent for basic desktop sharing and much faster than LiveMeeting and some of the others.

vnc works on mac, and i think is included in some versions (not a mac guy, so my knowledge is limited). can;t speak for the others.

Do both VNC and Yuuguu work well between Macs and PCs?

Re: Yuuguu--we use Mac and PCs, and it seems to do fine on either. My experience with it has been very passive (sign in, let others drive), but the people who do this often seem to approve. I think many of our IT folks have switched to it for meetings.