Shot In the Arm Strumming Pattern

I really like the stripped down version of Shot in the Arm that Jeff Tweedy plays alone. I have been trying to figure it out for the last couple hours, but the strumming pattern is stumping me. Anyone have any idea how to strum it? I found a decent tab that sounds right, but I just can't get the strumming down.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Hey fellas...I'll do my best to help on this one. I'm pretty sure for the solo version of this song (as well as Remember the Mountain Bed and many current versions of Wait up) he does not use a pick and while his thumb is holding the baseline, his index finger (when needed) is strumming or picking (depending on what is needed) some of the higher strings of the chord he is holding. I guess, kind of like a really sloppy Travis Picking, but not really...I don't know...hard to describe. If I remember correctly, if you watch the IATTBYH DVD, when they show him on the couch playing Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down...THAT is the strumming pattern. It is very awkward to learn, but after a lot of practice, that strumming pattern has opened up a ton of Tweedy solo tunes for me. Hope that helps :stunned

Hey fellas...I'll do my best to help on this one. I'm pretty sure for the solo version of this song (as well as Remember the Mountain Bed and many current versions of Wait up) he does not use a pick and while his thumb is holding the baseline, his index finger (when needed) is strumming or picking (depending on what is needed) some of the higher strings of the chord he is holding. I guess, kind of like a really sloppy Travis Picking, but not really...I don't know...hard to describe. If I remember correctly, if you watch the IATTBYH DVD, when they show him on the couch playing Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down...THAT is the strumming pattern. It is very awkward to learn, but after a lot of practice, that strumming pattern has opened up a ton of Tweedy solo tunes for me. Hope that helps :stunned

Are you sure stagerug? Looks like he is hitting the bass notes with a flatpick here (Mtn Bed). Especially on the alternating/descending bass line from the D to A to Bm (in the 1:20-1:24 range). I can't get this to sound right either, but I figured it was me, not that the strumming/picking pattern was wrong.

If it's uncool to post this here, I will remove. I am not sure if it's kosher.

He definitely has a pick there.

If you look on You Tube, he uses a pick for shot in the arm, also.

Sorry no help, but I can certainly offer empathy. I think picking Mountain Bed and Bob Dylan's beard is a lot easier than shot in the arm, because the riff is syncopated and not in rhythm with the strumming.

Yeah, he is definitely using a pick there. I have seen him play these songs without...I don't use a pick, so I have gravitated towards finger-style anyway, so when I saw him do it I ran with it. If you're willing to give it a try, it really does work!! I'll probably be proven wrong, as usual :ohwell , but I'm still pretty sure that his version of S,YKMCD on IAATBYH is this strumming style. It has been the one way for me to play finger-style and still have the sound stay true to the recordings/live versions. I promise, I am not making this up. It works dammit! :D

OK. I just checked the DVD. The Intro to the Eugene, OR show has him strumming this pattern on S, YKMCD. This strumming style (the pattern syncopation changes obviously with each song) can be used for all the songs you were discussing above. If you don't like this style, that's cool...but that's how I do it.

If you're willing to give it a try, it really does work!! I'll probably be proven wrong, as usual :ohwell , but I'm still pretty sure that his version of S,YKMCD on IAATBYH is this strumming style. It has been the one way for me to play finger-style and still have the sound stay true to the recordings/live versions. I promise, I am not making this up. It works dammit! :D

I have definitely noticed that he does what you are saying on some songs. I have been trying to play mtn bed for awhile, and I can get close, but just not perfect. So I was exploring whether maybe I was the one that was wrong.

When I have the time and patience, I am going to give your suggestion a shot. It looks pretty hard, but it sounds great. I think he does it on ViaChicago, too.

Good luck on the finger-style!

Anyway, I guess I never really answered the question on the strumming pattern. I"ll give it a try..be merciful if this makes little sense.

If you are strumming with a pick or your thumb only, whatever, the strum is a normal up/down...The syncopation, or when you hit the strings while you are strumming is something like...down down down up down up...down up down up down up down (after the ellipsis the the riff thingy).

I'm pretty sure it is not the strumming pattern you're having trouble with though (or maybe it is, I don't know). It's probably the hammer-ons during the riff that may be the trouble. You guys may know this already, but the riff is based off of the D shape chord in drop D tuning.

So, you're strumming the chord and for the riff off of the D chord. On the A string, you move your pinky up to hammer on the 4th fret, then open A, then quickly move your index finger up to the 2nd fret on the A string hammer-on the 4th fret with your pinky, 2nd fret again, open A then start over again.

All this while strumming D chord (minus the fingers you will need to move for the hammer-ons, etc...obviously)

on A string 4-0-2-4-2-0 then hit low D string to start all over again.

Makes sense to me, but then again, I'm writing it! Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
I really like the stripped down version of Shot in the Arm that Jeff Tweedy plays alone. I have been trying to figure it out for the last couple hours, but the strumming pattern is stumping me. Anyone have any idea how to strum it? I found a decent tab that sounds right, but I just can't get the strumming down.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

DADGBE

Start strumming a D

E---2-------|---2-2-2-2-2--|

B---3------o|---3-3-3-3-3--|

G---2-------|---2-2-2-2-2--|

D-----------|--------------|

A----------o|---4-2-4-2-0--|

D-----------|--------------| (D)

The ashtray says

I think on this one and Bob Dylan's Beard you can also look at it like some notes are hit like it's a strum, but he's really only playing one or two strings of the chord for that "strum" if that makes sense.

Said another way: you move your hand back and forth like you're strumming fast but just sort of lift up the notes you want instead of the whole chord, to string together the little counter-melody.