hey computer experts -- i help with firefox

i haven't been able to start firefox in four or five days ... apparently some file got corrupted ... keep getting the same error message, which is "Firefox is running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

needless to say, i've rebooted, i've gone to task manager, but there is no firefox process. i've even uninstalled and reinstalled the thing, but the same message comes up

i found a mozilla support site that addresses this particular error message and directs you to delete a particular file called "parent.lock" that can be found at: C:\Windows\Profiles\\Application Data\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default ... but i see that file, even when i change my settings to "see hidden files."

not sure what to do next. this is driving me crazy. help.

When I get that message, I just do a refresh by right clicking on the desktop, and then, Firefox will open. Something tells me you may be beyond that now though.

yeah, i've tried all those

nothin'

i'm screwed

guess i'll just ... throw the fucker out the damn window

• 1 month later...

I have started getting a message when I open Firefox it says something like "Firefox cannot install this item because of a problem with Chrome registration". I have Apple Chrome installed but rarely use it. Is there a connection? Should I uninstall Chrome? Uninstall and reinstall Firefox? I'm guessing some add-on or extension isn't working, but I won't identify which one.

"Firefox is running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

Ctrl/alt/delete and see "firefox.exe" running? Kill that and then re-start Firefox. Maybe you already did this. Uninstall the program completely and use IE as a browser to download Firefox again?

I'm going to guess that the chrome firefox is referring to is their ui, which they call chrome. So uninstalling google chrome (that's what you meant right?) probably won't help much. Does it start in safe mode? go to start>all programs>mozilla firefox>firefox safe mode and see if it loads okay that way.

I have started getting a message when I open Firefox it says something like "Firefox cannot install this item because of a problem with Chrome registration". I have Apple Chrome installed but rarely use it. Is there a connection? Should I uninstall Chrome? Uninstall and reinstall Firefox? I'm guessing some add-on or extension isn't working, but I won't identify which one.
  • 6 months later...

Another firefox issue. In the newer versions, if you drag a tab, it will open in a new window. As I browse around quickly on my laptop, I'll often accidentally pick up and drag, opening it in a new window. This has become annoying. I can't find a way to turn this feature off. If anyone knows, I'll be most appreciative.

Werd. Thanks!