Atlanta Rhythm Section

I remember kinda liking these guys back in H.S., but not much more.

Except their bass player was huge:

P10830XMURB.jpg

Is it worth picking up a cheap best of?

Or, Champagne Jam is available for $1 at Amazon. That's the one that I remember. Is it really any good? No?

I used to like ARS way back in HS days. Champagne Jam was the one I had. If I remember correctly it had a nice mellow feeling to it. Maybe Al Stewart meets low key pop Allman brothers? I don't think I have heard it in 20 years or more though. I would get the best of if it is a resonable price.

Champagne Jam for $1 though, it can't be that big of a risk.

I used to like ARS way back in HS days. Champagne Jam was the one I had. If I remember correctly it had a nice mellow feeling to it. Maybe Al Stewart meets low key pop Allman brothers? I don't think I have heard it in 20 years or more though. I would get the best of if it is a resonable price.

Champagne Jam for $1 though, it can't be that big of a risk.

underrated band

pretty damn good

i dig 'em

i got their 20th century masters disc which for the most part is good. i've checked out their other albums and they are way hit and miss. i LOVE that song Doraville. living in atlanta, i drive through there all the time. also, their version of spooky is so great!

also, their version of spooky is so great!

I'm pretty sure that members of the group that originally had a hit with "Spooky" (Classics IV) were founders of ARS.

These guys are kinda what I think of when I think about the 'Seventies FM radio' sound - professional musicians with a lot of chops, but ultimately kind of bland. I don't hate 'em - I just don't LOVE 'em, either.

I'm pretty sure that members of the group that originally had a hit with "Spooky" (Classics IV) were founders of ARS.

These guys are kinda what I think of when I think about the 'Seventies FM radio' sound - professional musicians with a lot of chops, but ultimately kind of bland. I don't hate 'em - I just don't LOVE 'em, either.

Yea, really not sure why anyone would listen to them now. Go buy their LPs, I am sure you can finds lots of them at your local used record store or local resale shop. It will cost more to have it shipped to you from a dealer at Amazon than it will be worth.

I love it when dealers have so much stock that they sell stuff for a buck or less. You can get CDs on Amazon for a cent if you look.

LouieB

Yet another reason for a record player. This is the exact reason I started record collecting back in the day (2000). ARS wasn't the exact reason, but wanting older music on the cheap was one of the main reasons. Do I want to but a 15 dollar Amercia CD? No. Do I now own 4 America records that I probably spent 5 dollars total on? Yes. Does this make me cool? Debatable. Is that the correct spelling of that word? I have no idea1 :mellow

Yet another reason for a record player. This is the exact reason I started record collecting back in the day (2000). ARS wasn't the exact reason, but wanting older music on the cheap was one of the main reasons. Do I want to but a 15 dollar Amercia CD? No. Do I now own 4 America records that I probably spent 5 dollars total on? Yes. Does this make me cool? Debatable. Is that the correct spelling of that word? I have no idea1 :mellow

I totally agree with this. Up until the great vinyl rush of the last couple years (and to a great extent in spite of it), you could (and can) still get plenty of old not perfect records for cheap at your local record or resale shop. How often are you really going to play the ARS anyway really?? Not too often. I just picked up a perfectly playable, if not perfect Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell LP (their first) for $2. Don't let the snobs convince you otherwise, there is lots of perfectly playable vinyl still to be had. As soon as the rush is over by the youngbloods, the stuff will be cheap again.

(Back in the day actually started in the late 1980s when CDs were replacing vinyl......)

LouieB

I totally agree with this. Up until the great vinyl rush of the last couple years (and to a great extent in spite of it), you could (and can) still get plenty of old not perfect records for cheap at your local record or resale shop. How often are you really going to play the ARS anyway really?? Not too often. I just picked up a perfectly playable, if not perfect Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell LP (their first) for $2. Don't let the snobs convince you otherwise, there is lots of perfectly playable vinyl still to be had. As soon as the rush is over by the youngbloods, the stuff will be cheap again.

(Back in the day actually started in the late 1980s when CDs were replacing vinyl......)

LouieB

2000 was back in the day for me an my record collecting

2000 was back in the day for me an my record collecting
I know, I was just fucking around and agreeing with you. Whenever you start collecting vinyl you don't have to break your bank account buying the 180gram stuff you are talking about on the other thread. Back in the day for me was 1969 and they were already selling cut outs for a fraction of the full price then. Used LPs in the 1970s saved my poor ass to be sure.

I don't really recall the Atlanta Rhythm Section, but I do have some records that came out of radio station that was throwing away all of their records when the switch to cds took place.
Yes, very few radio stations own vinyl any more, even the little indie ones. XRT once had a huge collection which I assume they still have, but very rarely play.

In other tales of record collecting (not vinyl) I bought the deluxe version of Greendale by Neil Young yesterday for $9. if you don't have to have things they day they come out, (or even the year), you can have a pretty good collection for a fraction of what it would cost retail...(I know this is unpatriotic...but....)

LouieB

I recall the name, just not their songs. After a Youtube check, I recall them now. MOR shit.

Can't think of a single song by them I would ever care to hear again. And I pretty much love all the 70's music that was on the radio. Even the cheesy stuff. MOR is right.

I recall the name, just not their songs. After a Youtube check, I recall them now. MOR shit.
That would be my assessment too.....I knew you would know them. They made serveral singles that were played into the ground. I am sure they are well off today.

LouieB