Digital TV question

Maybe someone here will know the answer to this...

I get my TV signal through a rabbit ear antenna and a digital converter box. When I'm watching TV, if I make the slightest movement, the reception deteriorates and sometimes the signal gets lost completely. However, when the commercials come on, the picture is clear as a bell and can not be disrupted no matter how much I move. Then when the program comes back on, the signal gets touchy again.

Anyone know why this is happening?

I'd actually blame the rabbit. My guess is that it is for the same reason that commercials are at a louder volume than regular programming. I think, for whatever reason, commercials are broadcast at a stronger frequency. Even if its digital.

I'd actually blame the rabbit. My guess is that it is for the same reason that commercials are at a louder volume than regular programming. I think, for whatever reason, commercials are broadcast at a stronger frequency. Even if its digital.

I've noticed that, too. I assumed the commercials were louder because they want to get their message across even if you try to ignore them, or leave the room, and not because of anything having to do with the signal.

I think the loudness of commercials has a lot to do with audio compression, but I may be talking out of my ass.

Yeah, that's it for sure. My good friend is in TV advertising... They compress the audio to crank the volume. Kind of like what Metallica did with their last album that some were complaining about. I think he said in some ad firms that is an added cost to the advertiser as well. Don't ever fall asleep with your TV on TNT...shit'll wake up the dead... f'king ShamWOW.

It is actually illegal for commercials to be louder than the TV show you are watching. I think it is a federal law, and perhaps is even a felony. You are supposed to call your cable provider or the management of the channel you're watching and complain. Also making a complaint to the FCC will help. Nothing makes me crazier than 2x as loud commercials than TV show. It is definitely one of my pet peeves.

I actually have done some work in the commercial field. They are definitely over compressing the sound on the commercials. It's just like what major record labels have done and is referred to as the loudness wars. The last Metallica album being a prime example of this. The same thing is happening with commercials and compressing the hell out of the final mix is the standard operating procedure now. There has been some backlash against the record companies for doing this so maybe someday they will dial back a bit on the compression for commercials too.

Without looking at the original poster's setup I can't answer his question but it is strange that you would get a clear signal sometimes but not always. The advantage of digital is supposed to be that you either have a signal or don't and no more fuzzy reception. So it might possibly an antenna issue either with the one on your TV or the one on the roof of your house or apartment building.

Without looking at the original poster's setup I can't answer his question but it is strange that you would get a clear signal sometimes but not always. The advantage of digital is supposed to be that you either have a signal or don't and no more fuzzy reception. So it might possibly an antenna issue either with the one on your TV or the one on the roof of your house or apartment building.

I don't have an antenna on the roof.

The signal doesn't get fuzzy like analog tv, it just freezes for a second or two, or it sort of pixelates (if that's the right term) and sometimes the signal gets lost completely, making the screen go black with a little floating box that says "no signal".

It is actually illegal for commercials to be louder than the TV show you are watching.

They probably rationalise it by matcing the volume of the commercial to the loudest sound in the tv show. So, if you're watching a show with gunfire and explosions, the commercial can be as loud as the sound of gunfire or explosions and not be considered louder than the tv show.

They probably rationalise it by matcing the volume of the commercial to the loudest sound in the tv show. So, if you're watching a show with gunfire and explosions, the commercial can be as loud as the sound of gunfire or explosions and not be considered louder than the tv show.

I'm sure that's what it is now. If the whole bloody commercial is the same volume as the highest volume of any regular program, the can't get fined. Which, curiously, doesn't explain ION television, but no matter.

I don't have an antenna on the roof.

The signal doesn't get fuzzy like analog tv, it just freezes for a second or two, or it sort of pixelates (if that's the right term) and sometimes the signal gets lost completely, making the screen go black with a little floating box that says "no signal".

I have the same problem except I have it hooked to an antenna.

I absolutely hate this digital thing. I was totally fine with the way things were.

Something tells me I'll be watching a lot less TV come June.

That's basically what compression is. The overall volume isn't louder, technically, but it sounds louder because all of the quieter sounds have been made the same volume as the loudest. The TV show will have peaks and valleys, but the commercial is basically a solid bar of unnatural shitness.

That's basically what compression is. The overall volume isn't louder, technically, but it sounds louder because all of the quieter sounds have been made the same volume as the loudest. The TV show will have peaks and valleys, but the commercial is basically a solid bar of unnatural shitness.

Exactly, and it's manipulative and intentionally annoying because even though it isn't louder than the regular programming, and isn't illegal (assuming a previous poster's comments are correct), if the show was that loud all the way through, almost nobody would tune in.

But back to signal strength, are the TV stations boosting their signal power during commercial breaks or something? I can think of no other explanation for why the picture quality is always impeccable during commercials, and is usualy very touchy during programming. The picture quality often goes from distorted to pristine instantly when the commercial break starts.