Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Dallas, TX 5/2/2009

Just got home from seeing Jason Isbell at the Granada Theater. Good show. Pretty small but enthusiastic crowd.

Cool moment during the bridge in Never Gonna Change. After playing a bit of a solo, Jason started playing something that seemed familiar. I couldn't quite figure it out at first, but as it built up I had the sense that it should transition into the 'rock out' part of Spiders (Kidsmoke). Then I realized he actually was playing Spiders, and they did transition to the 'rock out' part! My mind was blown. Anybody know if they've been doing this at every show on this tour, or is this a new wrinkle?

Rough setlist below. I think this is all they played, but the order is not exact.

Soldiers Get Strange

Try

Chicago Promenade

Streetlights

Goddamn Lonely Love

Grown

Never Gonna Change w/Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)

The Blue

Outfit

Hurricanes and Hand Grenades

The Assassin (Patterson Hood)

Seven Mile Island

Danko/Manuel

-Encore-

Dress Blues

Decoration Day

Sway (Rolling Stones) - Pretty sure this is what it was

Just got home from seeing Jason Isbell at the Granada Theater. Good show. Pretty small but enthusiastic crowd.

Cool moment during the bridge in Never Gonna Change. After playing a bit of a solo, Jason started playing something that seemed familiar. I couldn't quite figure it out at first, but as it built up I had the sense that it should transition into the 'rock out' part of Spiders (Kidsmoke). Then I realized he actually was playing Spiders, and they did transition to the 'rock out' part! My mind was blown. Anybody know if they've been doing this at every show on this tour, or is this a new wrinkle?

Whoa, they definitely did not do that when I saw them last month. Very cool.

I just got the album the other day and am really loving it so far. That "Spiders" breakout was very cool. Maybe they're jockeying for an upcoming support slot on a Wilco tour.

Here's a video of them doing it last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU8JyccnAlM

Does the Spiders bit around five minutes in.

Thanks, good find!

Looks like they've been working on it over the last week or so, since I'm pretty sure he played about 10-20 seconds or so of the actual leadup to that part (or at least something resembling the actual song enough for me to recognize). I did see some mics in the crowd, so hopefully a recording pops up out there somewhere. The Granada usually puts a few songs from every show up on their Youtube channel, so it also could show up there.

• 2 weeks later...