You might want to narrow down your question a bit. SF has arguably the best collection of restaurants of any city in the US - certainly in the top 3. All ethnicities, all price ranges, styles, etc. etc. etc. What kind of restaurant/food are you interested in?

That being said - if it's your first time there, you can't go wrong with a bowl of chowder or cippolini and a hunk of sourdough.

You might want to narrow down your question a bit. SF has arguably the best collection of restaurants of any city in the US - certainly in the top 3. All ethnicities, all price ranges, styles, etc. etc. etc. What kind of restaurant/food are you interested in?

That being said - if it's your first time there, you can't go wrong with a bowl of chowder or cippolini and a hunk of sourdough.

When I was there I went to the stinking rose, an all garlic restaurant so if you like garlic.

I also wen to All You Kneed ( i believe that was the name) in the haight

Both of these places are tremendous:

Chaya On the Embarcadero. Breathtaking night views of the bay and Bay Brige. French Japanese influenced menu. The best sushi I have ever tasted.

Dosa My favorite new-to-me cuisine; South Indian. What a discovery. Dosa is on Fillmore.

Have a great time. I adore San Francisco.

We spent a week in SF last year and are heading back for two more weeks later this summer. Restaurants are one of the reasons we go there, and though we're not locals, we have a few suggestions (perhaps some locals could corroborate/dispute my list). These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head ... we plan to re-visit all of these places this summer, and many more.

Axum Café, 698 Haight St. - Excellent Ethiopian food. Casual atmosphere.

Pagan, 731 Clement St. (and 3199 Clement St.) - Burmese food. Yum.

Benjarong, 1968 Lombard St. - Good Thai place. There are at least two other pretty decent Thai places on or near Lombard in this area (Yukol and Gatip).

China Village Restaurant, 1335 Solano Ave. (Albany) - My uncle lives nearby in Berkeley, knows his Chinese food (he's spent some time in China), and insists that this is the best Chinese food in the Bay Area. We very much enjoyed our meal there. If you read the reviews, a fair number of people originally from the Sichuan province regard this place as the real deal.

Gaspare's Pizza, 5546 Geary Blvd. - One of two places we had pizza, and both were good. If you get a pizza with garlic on it (e.g., the Margherita), prepare for a metric ton of the stuff.

The Cheeseboard Pizza Collective, 1512 Shattuck Ave. (Berkeley) - Line up with the crowd and pick up their pizza of the day. Always vegetarian, and you have one choice: whatever they're making that day (no ordering involved). A bit odd, but the pizza's really good. Don't expect to get seats -- this is likely to be a take-out experience.

Mona Lisa, 353 Columbus Ave. - It's hard to choose one Italian restaurant in this neighborhood, and for all we know there are better ones, but we went here looking for well-executed basic Italian dishes (we couldn't care less about what's trendy) and these folks know their stuff. Possibly the best carbonara I've ever had, and that's one of my favorite dishes. The "Sicilian Candy" is a great appetizer (especially if you love garlic like I do). The menu only mentions roasted garlic, but there's also cheese involved.

I second (third?) the Ferry Building recommendation, along with the farmer's market out back (Saturdays and Tuesdays, if I recall correctly).

I cannot WAIT to get back to that town. :D