Wilco- Aronoff Photos

Hey all,

shooting for a local blog this time around. One of the best Wilco performances I have ever seen! Hummingbird was priceless. Shots took a little more artistic lean. Thanks for looking.

Oh I started this new thread because I didn't want to be involved in the sit down/stand up debate going on in the other thread.

Thanks all!!

WilcoKeithKlenowski0029.jpg

WilcoKeithKlenowski0019.jpg

Keith Klenowski

Keith

www.photokeith.com

Great pics as always Keith. I like this one the best;

3627085433_d6cb5dc742.jpg?v=0

And Jeff looks very Neil-like in this one.

3627903944_a8555e9294.jpg?v=0

Not bad at all, but I'm noticing that almost every set of post-concert Wilco pictures is so similar to the rest. It's strange, because their sets are so varied and unpredictable, yet I feel like I've seen every one of this pictures so many times before.

Interesting critique. I both agree and disagree on the assessment. For obvious reasons, your average 'fan' shots are all going to look the same. Usually one point of view, from his/her seat. For me, those shots are usually worth looking at for novelty alone (funny expression, cool venue, etc). A more ambitious shooter can offer much more. Even then, most press access type photographers are often restrained by the '3 song rule', which allows pit and venue access for only the first three songs (urban legend has it that this was started by Rod Stewart, who in his vanity became too sweaty and unattractive after three songs). Three songs is simply not enough for any variety at all. You barely have the opportunity to evaluate the lighting, vantage points, etc. Overall, this is good for the band as you wouldn't want hoards of photographers in the pit all night. Even when shooting an entire show, it's pretty much the same guys on stage doing the same thing with the same few lighting scenarios night after night. The main thing (besides photo ability) that allows variety is access and venue layout. Poor access and/or poor sightlines are quite limiting. Under the best of circumstances, it still takes monumental effort to achieve a great diversity of shots.

I somewhat agree with the assessment the Keith's shots are a bit repetitive. A minor edit could improve the viewing. However, they look great so no complaints from me. Very good offering from Keith. Concert photography is much harder than you might think. Because of that, Wilco is the only band I shoot.

Here's a few from the April tour that I never got around to posting here. Clearly there is repetition, but hopefully not boring....

Knoxville

Asheville

older shows

charles

Interesting critique. I both agree and disagree on the assessment. For obvious reasons, your average 'fan' shots are all going to look the same. Usually one point of view, from his/her seat. For me, those shots are usually worth looking at for novelty alone (funny expression, cool venue, etc). A more ambitious shooter can offer much more. Even then, most press access type photographers are often restrained by the '3 song rule', which allows pit and venue access for only the first three songs (urban legend has it that this was started by Rod Stewart, who in his vanity became too sweaty and unattractive after three songs). Three songs is simply not enough for any variety at all. You barely have the opportunity to evaluate the lighting, vantage points, etc. Overall, this is good for the band as you wouldn't want hoards of photographers in the pit all night. Even when shooting an entire show, it's pretty much the same guys on stage doing the same thing with the same few lighting scenarios night after night. The main thing (besides photo ability) that allows variety is access and venue layout. Poor access and/or poor sightlines are quite limiting. Under the best of circumstances, it still takes monumental effort to achieve a great diversity of shots.

I somewhat agree with the assessment the Keith's shots are a bit repetitive. A minor edit could improve the viewing. However, they look great so no complaints from me. Very good offering from Keith. Concert photography is much harder than you might think. Because of that, Wilco is the only band I shoot.

Here's a few from the April tour that I never got around to posting here. Clearly there is repetition, but hopefully not boring....

Knoxville

Asheville

older shows

charles

Oh yes, I agree that concert photography is difficult, and that there is always an obvious difference between professional and amateur photos. This is the case in any type of photography though. I've taken several photography classes, and I cannot tell you how much it bothers me when people think taking a bunch of shitty digital pictures of a street sign qualifies them as a legit photographer. The difference between that and real photographers' work is clear, and Keith knows what he's doing. Like I said, they're great images from a photographic and compositional standpoint, but I still feel like I've seen them all. I guess in all the unpredictability of Wilco concerts, it's really just six guys playing music, and there really aren't that many different ways to take a picture of that.

That being said, there will always be a market for someone who can take good concert pictures. You just have to be OK with the inherent sameness that comes with that. I skim through any set of pictures involving Wilco, but more often than not, there's very little that I haven't already seen many times. So it really becomes a "what is the band wearing" contest, since that's all that's noticeably different inmost concert pics.

However, repetition does not always equal boring. Wilco is a photogenic live band, so the shots are rarely boring, they're just repetitive.

Don't hate me Keith. Just a bit of constructive criticism of the entire concert photography field, really.

Thanks for sharing, Keith and Charles. I'm an enthusiastic very-much-amateur photographer, but I find it hard to take candid shots of others and not worry about being conspicuous. This is actually more of a dilemma for me out in the wild, so to speak, but also a factor at shows. I take my share of concert shots, but usually try (futilely, I'm sure) to shoot when nobody is looking. I admire folks who have gotten past that, but at the same time I'm pretty sure that a fan snapping photos nonstop through an entire show would be annoying. It must be somewhat freeing to have a photo pass - it's clear what you're there to do, and you have a predefined window for it. Unless you have special dispensation, of course.

Hey everyone,

I love that I avoided posting this in the official thread because of the controversy brewing over there and started something new altogether. I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. No hard feelings towards anyone. I was a little taken aback by the first comment but realized that it wasn't a personal attack at all and more of a comment in general. And my jaw dropped when I saw that Mr. Charlie Harris had commented. I bow down to you sir.

I know one of my biggest weaknesses is the editing process and that a few shots could be weeded out. Still working on that. I always feel that when I go onto fan sites, I want to see as much as possible. I never know what people are going to like or think is good. I do shoot for local blogs and papers in town, but I try post them for viewing up here. I truly love this band and want to share the excitement.

With that being said.... enjoy!

Thanks,

Keith

Hey Keith,

I think your photos look really great. Coming from a film background, I really like what you got. The shot composition and lighting looks great.

One question: I'm assuming you get the sepia tone from whatever you use to put those pics online. I guess feel free to post what type of camera you used etc.

Kristofor

PS Ok, I looked at all the pics and noticed the nice mix of color, b & w and the really nice sepia tone. It's definitely something I admire to see especially considering that you're doing this at a concert and the shots look nice and steady and not rushed. I also love Charles' work too.

On a quick side note: when I film my friend's band, I switch the setting to Black & White and it looks really amazing. I dislike my color on my 3 year old Sony Handycam. Time to upgrade to something more vibrant.