First Impression

Just got my copy in the mail!

On first impression I like it a lot, a lot, a lot!!!! I don't know if I'll ever feel the way about it as I do about the Being There - A Ghost Is Born era but it's a really solid album and doesn't have the boring middle of the album sequence that a certain other Wilco album had. And that duet with Feist is absolutely beautiful!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I held out for the actual release date, having heard only a few early live versions of a handful of songs. My initial impression was that it was another album in the vein of SBS, which meant that once again Wilco had made a well-crafted album for other people. But I've been listening nonstop for a week, and W(TA) has grown on me immensely. Even the few tracks that feel minor contain tiny glories and subtle oddities that I'm thrilled to have. In other words, it might be in the same vein as SBS but it convinces and pleases in a way that SBS didn't (at least to me). And "Sonny Feeling" is already one of the band's most underrated songs.

And "Sonny Feeling" is already one of the band's most underrated songs.

Your computer must have some sort of weird macro in that makes it put it out "Sonny Feeling" when you type "I'll Fight." Someone's been messing with you!

The vinyl and CD versions sound a lot better than the downloaded version I had, I will say that. I almost feel the one I got was mixed differently than the final version.

Your computer must have some sort of weird macro in that makes it put it out "Sonny Feeling" when you type "I'll Fight." Someone's been messing with you!

I love that one, too! It's a great one-two punch.

I've been slagging this lp on a few forums and maybe I was little harsh but I think the reason is there are a few songs, You and I and Everlasting Everything that I absolutely hate. Not a dislike or indifference, but I find them really crappy songs. I hate it, as their sentiment is in the right place, but they have to be in the top 5 worst Wilco songs ever. Maudlin, may be the correct term.

There are some growers on the album though, Sonny Feeing being one. I like the majority of side one and the vinyl fidelity is good, not great. Compared to the cd, it's miles ahead, probably the greatest separation in fidelity of any of the past 4 Wilco lps/cds. It almost sounds like a different mix, not just a different mastering.

Speaking of I'll Fight, the melody kind of reminds me of another Wilco song but I can't put my finger on it... any ideas??

I can't tell if you're taking the piss, but I'll answer anyway - On and On and On.

The vinyl and CD versions sound a lot better than the downloaded version I had, I will say that. I almost feel the one I got was mixed differently than the final version.

I agree with this statement.

Guest Jules

I've been slagging this lp on a few forums and maybe I was little harsh but I think the reason is there are a few songs, You and I and Everlasting Everything that I absolutely hate. Not a dislike or indifference, but I find them really crappy songs.

You and I may be crappy (I don't agree, btw), but it might also be brilliant. They're playing it with Feist on Letterman next week, and the performance will definitely sell more albums.

Guest Francis X. Hummel

My first impression was that I really liked You Never Know and that was about it. I've given it a solid listen or two everyday since I bought it, and it has grown on me some but not too much. It's not a bad album. It's just not something I've fallen in love with [yet]. I've come to really like Wilco (the song) and One Wing, and still really like You Never Know. I can't stand You and I, I'm not big on Everlasting Everything and I'm already sick of Bull Black Nova. The remainder of the songs are fine but nothing special to my ears.

I agree with a few others that One Wing is easily the shinning moment of this record. It's amazing and I'm stunned that I didn't like it from the start.

My first impression was that I really liked You Never Know and that was about it. I've given it a solid listen or two everyday since I bought it, and it has grown on me some but not too much. It's not a bad album. It's just not something I've fallen in love with [yet]. I've come to really like Wilco (the song) and One Wing, and still really like You Never Know. I can't stand You and I, I'm not big on Everlasting Everything and I'm already sick of Bull Black Nova. The remainder of the songs are fine but nothing special to my ears.

I agree with a few others that One Wing is easily the shinning moment of this record. It's amazing and I'm stunned that I didn't like it from the start.

i'm the exact same way, started with "you never know" and "one wing." personally i can't stand "country disappeared" and "you and i" is no gem either. "one wing" is easily the best song on the album, imo. "deeper down" has grown on my quite a bit but besides those few, everything else is decent at best.