Former Beatles and Stones manager Allen Klein has died

Jul 4, 2009, 05:13 PM | by Nicole Sperling

Iconic and infamous music business entrepreneur Allen Klein has died after a long battle with Alzheimer's. He was 77.

Klein -- a controversial manager whose clients included Sam Cooke, the Rolling Stones, and the Beatles -- founded Allen Klein & Co. in the late 1950s. Today, ABKCO is one of the world's leading independent music companies.

The New Jersey-born accountant's rise to fame began with Cooke, who he helped land an unprecedentedly lucrative recording deal in 1963. He then moved on to the Rolling Stones -- and, when their relationship ended, he walked away with the rights to some of the band's classic hits like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash." He also represented the Beatles during the tumultuous months before their 1970 breakup.

Along the way, he earned a reputation as a dogged businessman with a take-no-prisoners negotiating style.

Klein is survived by his longtime girlfriend Iris Keitel, an ABKCO executive, and three adult children.

My link

He not only had a hand in the The Beatles empire, but many other things as well.

Its assets include recordings by the Rolling Stones, the Animals, Herman's Hermits, Bobby Womack, the Kinks, Chubby Checker, Bobby Rydell and many others.

The publishing arm boasts more than 2,000 copyrights including compositions by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, Cooke, Womack, Ray Davies of the Kinks and Pete Townshend of the Who.

I finally got All You Need is Cash on DVD after years of trying to watch my recorded VHS version. I forever think of this bit whenever I've seen Klein's name.

When I was 12, my father settled an argument my brother were having on whether or not to watch Empire Strikes Back (me) or Return of the Jedi (him) by popping a VHS copy of All You Need Is Cash he taped for Comedy Central. I watched it at least once every day from that day forward for 22 consecutive times (the streak was stopped by my mother who didn't think it was funny on the 23rd night when I kept rewinding and playing Idle's "what's it like to be such an asshole?" line. Because of the Rutles I started raiding their Beatles tapes, and because of the Beatles I began to care way too much about music. I guess in a weird way the Rutles were the most influential band on my musical development.

As for Klein, rest in peace. Yes, he helped the demise of the Beatles, but think of an alternate universe without Klein and Silly Love Songs as a Beatles single, and maybe in the long run what he did wasn't so bad.

--Mike

As for Klein, rest in peace. Yes, he helped the demise of the Beatles, but think of an alternate universe without Klein and Silly Love Songs as a Beatles single, and maybe in the long run what he did wasn't so bad.

--Mike

I just finished reading the latest Lennon biography, and it talked quite a bit about the Klein situation. From the perspective of John's growing discomfort and paranoia about everything, post-Epstein. Pretty interesting section. Klein coming in (against Paul's will) did sort of force the issue of the breakup. I suppose. But seems like there were a hundred other reasons the band was going to dissolve anyway...

Definitely a sleazy character from all the accounts.