Was Not For the Season originally released?

It was done by Wilco during the YHF sessions and that version can be found at Owl and Bear.

But it was officially released as "Laminated Cat" on the first Loose Fur record (the Loose Fur version obviously). You can find the Jeff Tweedy solo version( with Glenn Kotche) on the Sunken Treasure DVD.

Welcome, newish person!

Yes, the song is called "Laminated Cat," and was released on the groovy "Loose Fur" CD by Tweedy / Kotche / O'Rourke's side project "Loose Fur."

Here's the wikipedia article on that album:

wikipedia on loose fur

You can find the CD available online for sale, I couldn't find any vendors in the top results in Google that I'm familiar with, though. Not sure about iTunes.

Hope this helps and welcome to VC!

edit: foiled again by the fast-typers!

The biggest crime that Wilco has ever committed wasnt leaving off a "Wilco version" of Not For The Season, but rather, not putting Magazine Called Sunset on YHF

Excellent song, but not sure how it would've fit on YHF. They've played it enough live that it's become a significant part of the Wilco legacy w/o being on an LP.

Excellent song, but not sure how it would've fit on YHF. They've played it enough live that it's become a significant part of the Wilco legacy w/o being on an LP.

I think they need to play it WAY more live, http://wilcobase.com/song.php?song_key=189 under 40 times, compared to the 650+ for I'm The Man Who Loves You

I guess when you write a lot of great songs, it's unfortunate that some of them are left off various albums. I agree that 'Magazine' and 'Not for the Season' should've been on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I think 'The Thanks I Get' should've been on Sky Blue Sky and 'Dark Neon' should've been on Wilco (The Album).

Come to think of it, YHF could've been a double CD. Add Magazine, Not for the Season, Cars Can't Escape and Venus Stopped the Train.

The biggest crime that Wilco has ever committed wasnt leaving off a "Wilco version" of Not For The Season, but rather, not putting Magazine Called Sunset on YHF

Magazine is a great song, but I don't think leaving off of YHF was a mistake. It fits well with the early demos, but the final More Like the Moon version doesn't really fit with the tracks on Foxtrot. They could have easily done the Kid A/Amnesiac thing and put out two albums from the Foxtrot session, but I can't help but think almost anyone who wants to hear those other songs can track them down on the internet.

The biggest crime Wilco has ever committed was the band's infamous diamond heist in the summer of 2002. Jeff and Leroy rigged a giant claw machine (from the pieces of the one Jeff and Spencer destroyed after it ripped him off, see Sam Jones imaginary 10 hour director's cut of IATTBYH for more details), and poached four world famous jewels from the Diamant Museum Amsterdam. Diamond Claw was written about the experience, which perhaps non coincidentally is involved in the twenty-third biggest crime Wilco has ever committed: leaving Diamond Claw off of A Ghost is Born.

--Mike

Mike, I want some of whatever you've been smoking recently.

Can you smoke Benadryl and Flintstone vitamins? One of the scarier realizations of my young adult life is many of the ideas I come up with sober, people assume I must have been blasted out of mind to come up with.

--Mike

Come to think of it, YHF could've been a double CD. Add Magazine, Not for the Season, Cars Can't Escape and Venus Stopped the Train.

you'll have to wait for the remasterd 10th anniversary edition for that. 20th maybe.

Can you smoke Benadryl and Flintstone vitamins? One of the scarier realizations of my young adult life is many of the ideas I come up with sober, people assume I must have been blasted out of mind to come up with.

--Mike

what kind of ideas do you come up with when yuou're blasted out of your mind, then? stuff like "gee, i should probably take out the garbage?"

That is an ultimate music fantasy, I wish it was true! YHF would not only be, sorta better, but monumentally better.

Magazine is a great song, but I don't think leaving off of YHF was a mistake. It fits well with the early demos, but the final More Like the Moon version doesn't really fit with the tracks on Foxtrot. They could have easily done the Kid A/Amnesiac thing and put out two albums from the Foxtrot session, but I can't help but think almost anyone who wants to hear those other songs can track them down on the internet.

You bringing up More Like The Moon makes me think, imagine adding Bob Dylans Beard to that double album idea? Crazy stuff