Jeff on upcoming Rosanne Cash

http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/108748-rosanne-cash-announces-new-album.html

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash will release her 12th studio album, entitled The List, on Manhattan Records on October 6th, 2009. This stunning work features Cash’s contemporary interpretations of 12 classic songs culled from a list of essential country tunes that her legendary father Johnny gave her in 1973, and filtered through her own unique, sophisticated perspective.

Known primarily for her stellar songwriting, Cash showcases her incredible voice on The List — her first-ever covers record. As a result, the album is Rosanne Cash like you’ve never heard her before as she embraces her heritage and sings for the pure love and beauty of these songs which have shaped who she is as an artist.

The idea for The List came about while Cash was on tour promoting her 2006 studio album, the critically heralded, Grammy-nominated Black Cadillac — a reflective song cycle about the loss of her father, mother Vivian Liberto, and stepmother June Carter Cash. During the well-received multi-media event Black Cadillac: In Concert, Cash told audiences how, when she was 18, her father became alarmed that his daughter appeared to lack a deep understanding of country music (having been obsessed with The Beatles and steeped in Southern California rock and pop music). Johnny gave her a list of the “100 Essential Country Songs” and told her that it was her education and she should learn them all.

Through her stylish interpretations, Cash manages to transcend genre on The List, proving that these songs deserve a permanent place in the American Songbook. Produced and arranged by Grammy-Award winner John Leventhal (Cash’s husband, who also contributes striking guitar work throughout),

The List includes Cash’s covers of songs by The Carter Family (“Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow”), Hank Williams (“Take These Chains From My Heart”), Jimmie Rodgers (“Miss The Mississippi and You”), Hank Cochran/Patsy Cline (“She’s Got You”), Merle Haggard (“Silver Wings”), and Bob Dylan (“Girl From the North Country,” famously done by Dylan and Johnny Cash in 1969). The album also features a host of special guests whom Cash admires, including Bruce Springsteen (on “Sea of Heartbreak”), Elvis Costello (on “Heartaches by the Number”), Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy (on “Long Black Veil”), and Rufus Wainwright (on “Silver Wings”).

The List is the first album Cash has made since she underwent surgery in 2007 for a benign brain condition, from which she has fully recovered. When it came time to record a new album, Cash was happy to step back from the heavy themes of Black Cadillac and do a covers record that showcased her voice. It also has enabled her to finally share with the world the list of songs her father passed down to her alone.

The track-listing for The List is as follows:

1. “Miss the Mississippi and You”

2. “Motherless Children”

3. “Sea of Heartbreak” (w/ Bruce Springsteen)

4. “Take These Chains From My Heart”

5. “I’m Movin' On”

6. “She’s Got You”

7. “Heartaches by the Number” (w/ Elvis Costello)

8. “500 Miles”

9. “Long Black Veil” (w/ Jeff Tweedy)

10. “Silver Wings” (w/ Rufus Wainwright)

11. “Girl From the North Country”

12. “Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow”

I think I've heard of this obscure 'Long Black Veil' song that they are covering.

I haven't followed her career since the early '80s but always liked that she was country with an edge.

I read an older interview with her recently, that touched on how she lost her voice after child birth (a polyp went twangy due to the hormones) and couldn't sing at all. She had never considered herself a singer, merely a songwriter, until that happened. So this is a nice culmination for her.

Sounds like this will be a fun album. As with all older recording artists when you don't know what else to do:

1. Sing duets with lots of other people.

2. Cover well known songs.

I guess Rosanne is at that point in her career.

LouieB

Love Roseanne Cash. Looking forward to this release as I do all her releases, and to hopefully see her in concert whenever she tours for this new album. I had tix for her last tour but it was cancelled due to her brain surgery, so this is a wonderful turn-around of events since then. And to have a Tweedy offering be part of it is icing on the cake. :)