YHF tracks: Better studio or live?

I was just curious what you guys think... I have always had fun by trying to decide which I like better. The sounds on YHF are just awesome, and I know that they are the permanent artistic statement. However, I love what the band has done with them live..

PS: I just felt like some YHF discussion.. since there hasn't been nearly enough discussion about this record...ha

Studio. They are great live, but Heavy Metal Drummer and Jesus Etc are much better in the studio.

How about Jeff Tweedy solo versions? I am Trying to Break Your Heart wins in that fashion for me.

Studio. They are great live, but Heavy Metal Drummer and Jesus Etc are much better in the studio.

How about Jeff Tweedy solo versions? I am Trying to Break Your Heart wins in that fashion for me.

Yeah that's a pretty great version.. I mean it's basically the bare bones of the song

Studio, but really for me (and all of us uber-wilco freaks) any Wilco is good :lol. But another interesting discussion would be which studio versions do you like more?

I'm a big fan of the engineer demos personally... :music

Studio, and for me it's not even close. My favorite live versions of the YHF songs are either from the short-lived Bennett/Kotche tour or the Jorgensten/Bach lineup in 2002-2003. The six-piece's arrangements of the material are kind of hit (Ashes of American Flags) or miss (I'm The Man Who Loves You-- I think they play it too fast now and Pat's awful funk keyboards almost ruin the song) for me. The demos are great to listen to, but I really feel the definitive versions of all those songs are the versions on Yankee.

--Mike

Studio, and for me it's not even close. My favorite live versions of the YHF songs are either from the short-lived Bennett/Kotche tour or the Jorgensten/Bach lineup in 2002-2003. The six-piece's arrangements of the material are kind of hit (Ashes of American Flags) or miss (I'm The Man Who Loves You-- I think they play it too fast now and Pat's awful funk keyboards almost ruin the song) for me. The demos are great to listen to, but I really feel the definitive versions of all those songs are the versions on Yankee.

--Mike

I do love Ashes live.... I mean Nels' solo is pretty beautiful... however, I do love the sound effects of the Studio version (where the solo is now) Also, I don't know how to describe it, but the reoccurring sound effect right before "I'm down on my hands and knees"

I do love Ashes live.... I mean Nels' solo is pretty beautiful... however, I do love the sound effects of the Studio version (where the solo is now) Also, I don't know how to describe it, but the reoccurring sound effect right before "I'm down on my hands and knees"

I know exactly what you mean. That part and the piano break that comes right after it is my favorite few seconds of the entire album.

--Mike

I know exactly what you mean. That part and the piano break that comes right after it is my favorite few seconds of the entire album.

--Mike

It is truly awesome...that sound effect really drives home the desolate, shattered feeling that the song is trying to convey

'm The Man Who Loves You-- I think they play it too fast now and Pat's awful funk keyboards almost ruin the song) for me.

man, see I feel the opposite. I love the studio version, but I think that song is a live highlight (I know they play it every show, but it never gets old to me). So much energy and its fun to see Jeff romping around on stage ripping apart the solos and Glenn is just killing the drums on that song.

man, see I feel the opposite. I love the studio version, but I think that song is a live highlight (I know they play it every show, but it never gets old to me). So much energy and its fun to see Jeff romping around on stage ripping apart the solos and Glenn is just killing the drums on that song.

I agree with you.. I think the studio and live versions complement eachother nicely. There is nothing like seeing the band live, and watching the song unfold in front of you, plus the added energy of the live show. However, there are moments and details on the record that just can't be replicated.

1. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart - Love any version, studio, live, solo - each one has strong merits

2. Kamera - Studio Version, like the acoustic guitar version, simple, uncluttered

3. Radio Cure - Live Version, like how it builds

4. War On War - Both are great

5. Jesus, etc. - Studio version b/c of violins

6. Ashes Of American Flags - Nels solo makes the live version my favorite - it might be my second favorite live Wilco song

7. Heavy Metal Drummer - the live version has a lot of energy, but it comes across very cluttered, so I prefer the studio version

8. I'm the Man Who Loves You - Studio version hands down. I also like the demo versions. This song to me has never connected with me live. It is the perfect example of too many cooks in the kitchen. I do love the live versions 2002-2003.

9. Pot Kettle Black - Studio version, again I like the acoustic guitar on it.

10. Poor places - any version, my favorite Wilco song. I wish he'd also do it solo live more the May 2003 version is superb.

11. Reservations - solo acoustic version is favorite. The words seem to translate best unaccompanied by any other instrumentation than just Jeff's guitar and his voice.

That's my 2 cents.

Guest Runaway Jim

I'd rather listen to YHF studio than a recording of a live show with YHF songs.

But come on, nothing beats seeing a live show. Give me anything off of YHF live over studio.

Guest Jules

(I'm The Man Who Loves You-- I think they play it too fast now and Pat's awful funk keyboards almost ruin the song) for me.

--Mike

Agree 100%. I never understood the faster pace. The album version almost swings. Love it.

1. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart - I think the live version is way better

2. Kamera - Live, rockin' version

3. Radio Cure - Live Version

4. War On War - Both

5. Jesus, etc. - Studio version

6. Ashes Of American Flags - Live version edges out studio by a little

7. Heavy Metal Drummer - Both very good

8. I'm the Man Who Loves You - Studio version

9. Pot Kettle Black - Both

10. Poor places - Studio*

11. Reservations - Studio*

* Whenever these two are played in conjunction with Spiders live, that trifecta is very hard to beat