Now I remember why I was an independent all those years.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm kind of looking foward to the footage of tea baggers crying and wailing and "Fearing for our country".

Too late. The Star Tribune has a poll today: What Do You Think of Obama Now? The two options and current results are:

40% He delivered a remarkable achievement and fulfilled his promise of change.

50.9% This is the change I feared, and why I don't approve of the job he's doing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of looking foward to the footage of tea baggers crying and wailing and "Fearing for our country".

and a mass exodus to Canada.

I doubt they will be going there....they have socialized medicine there already. They need to go somewhere that people die in the streets for lack of healthcare, since that is basically what they want.

LouieB

I doubt they will be going there....they have socialized medicine there already. They need to go somewhere that people die in the streets for lack of healthcare, since that is basically what they want.

LouieB

I was just thinking that. I made a faux pas. (sp?)

LouieB

:rolleyes

Oh, like they would fit in there. Maybe Argentina is a better choice. Oh, but they speak Spanish! How inconvenient. Australia?

Well, I guess Somalia it is. Just don't tell 'em about all the black people.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't think anyone wants people to die in the streets, for any reason. Good bit, though.

Okay, then: They need to go somewhere where uninsured and underinsured people die in massive amounts of debt quietly in their homes, leaving their equally stretched relatives saddled with the burdens of that debt that more privileged people will never know. Hopefully, that place also has lots of people who can't afford to go to the doctor for preventative care, and are forced to go to the ER instead of primary or urgent care, where they are again saddled with massive amounts of debt.

Well, I guess Somalia it is. Just don't tell 'em about all the black people.

:rotfl

I was going to revive this thread yesterday afternoon, but didn't want to jinx it.

So here's my thought: :dancing

Okay, then: They need to go somewhere where uninsured and underinsured people die in massive amounts of debt quietly in their homes, leaving their equally stretched relatives saddled with the burdens of that debt that more privileged people will never know. Hopefully, that place also has lots of people who can't afford to go to the doctor for preventative care, and are forced to go to the ER instead of primary or urgent care, where they are again saddled with massive amounts of debt.

Good grief.

Really? Do you think that's not happening just because it isn't happening to you?

Nope.

Did you know that people will still be dying in massive amounts of debt despite this "landmark" bill?

Not to mention I'm pretty sure you have no idea what has happened to me so you probably would be best at keeping your point of view focused on yourself. I've been in debt due to medical bills and I did what a person should do. I paid them off slowly and at my own pace.

But you do a nice job of painting a sad story. You should run for congress.

Nope.

Did you know that people will still be dying in massive amounts of debt despite this "landmark" bill?

Not to mention I'm pretty sure you have no idea what has happened to me so you probably would be best at keeping your point of view focused on yourself. I've been in debt due to medical bills and I did what a person should do. I paid them off slowly and at my own pace.

But you do a nice job of painting a sad story. You should run for congress.

get bent

Guest Speed Racer

I did what a person should do

So did I - I supported (and support) a bill that would help keep more people out of that situation in the future, and help to insure/properly insure many people in our country who currently are not properly insured. I'm sorry for the position you were in, and I think it is an avoidable position that we as a country should take care of, and I think that we did. I don't think the bill is perfect, but I never think a bill is perfect.

Actually, many that already have Medicaid/Medicare still go to the ER for their primary care because they either don't utilize preventative care and thus wait for their chronic conditions to have acute exacerbations or they don't want to deal with the inconvenience of making appointments.

Guest Speed Racer

Actually, many that already have Medicaid/Medicare still go to the ER for their primary care because they either don't utilize preventative care and thus wait for their chronic conditions to have acute exacerbations or they don't want to deal with the inconvenience of making appointments.

Therefore we should keep others who currently don't have Medicaid/Medicare from having low-cost access to preventative care?

Therefore we should keep others who currently don't have Medicaid/Medicare from having low-cost access to preventative care?

That conclusion draws more heavily on other premises. I was just pointing out that expanding coverage doesn't really solve the problem.

Guest Speed Racer

I was just pointing out that expanding coverage doesn't really solve the problem.

For the people who don't currently have coverage, it does a lot more than not expanding coverage does. Healthcare reform should be about choices, first and foremost - namely, providing an affordable choice to people who don't currently have one.

from what I've heard, liberals are upset about abortion issues, lack of universal single payer, conservatives are upset all around. yay!

No one person is completely happy in a compromise. That does not preclude it from being the best, most workable solution at the time.

For the people who don't currently have coverage, it does a lot more than not expanding coverage does. Healthcare reform should be about choices, first and foremost - namely, providing an affordable choice to people who don't currently have one.

And when given the choice, about 2/3 of people choose against complying with medical treatment, which in the long run is not affordable regardless of who is paying.

Guest Speed Racer

And when given the choice, about 2/3 of people choose against complying with medical treatment, which in the long run is not affordable regardless of who is paying.

So?

There are a number of problems with the health care system in the United States, and this bill was not intended - and never claimed to intend - to address everything. The problem you are continually bringing up today has little to do with allowing people equal access to care, but is rather something that should be, and often is, addressed at the community level.