Jimi Hendrix cassette

A friend of my cousin has a cassette recording of 4 songs, secretly taped at a Jimi Hendrix performance he attended. (Venue unknown at this time) :blink

He has agreed to make a digital copy for me. :stunned

I'm freaking out! :w00t

What year?

I only say that as cassette machines/cassettes were not all that common in the the time period of say, 1968-1970. As far as I have read, anyhow.

I have heard of things like this popping up from time to time. Actually, there was a taper who never put his stuff from the early 70s out there before who is now sharing.

I'll try to find out the year and venue.... i literally just found out about it. My cousin is arranging direct communication for me. I didn't want to be too aggressive with the questions. Believe me, I'm dyin' to know more. Hopefully by the end of today I will have some song titles and other more usefull info to share.

fingers crossed, hoping for something exciting

Since I am the one guy on here who sort of remembers cassettes coming out, I didn't think this was possible either, but as it turns out the first cassette came out in 1962 (if the web is to be believed.) So I would say that by late in Jimi's career someone would have had a recorder. This is very cool. It is probably an audience kind of thing.

Dave Alvin recently wrote (or at least recorded) a song about seeing Jimi was a boy. I don't know if that is true or not (he is about 6 years younger than me) and the song isn't one of his best, but it is kinda cool to think about. Needless to say I was NOT cool enough to go see Hendrix before he died. Musicians didn't tour quite as much back in those days, or if they did, they didn't come to Cleveland so much.

LouieB

What is even more surprising is that a cassette tape that old would even be playable. I still have the first cassettes I got (around 1977) and a few years ago I tried to play some of them. The tapes snapped almost immediately. I suppose it also depends on the brand. The ones I have are cheap. I did manage to digitize a tape from the early 1980s a few years ago, but I think it was due to the fact that it was in a case, and was a more expensive brand of tape.

I suppose my initial doubts also had to do with what I have read about early tapers in the Grateful Dead tapers books I have. If I recall correctly, it was really not until the near mid-70s when the use of cassettes decks began to be used more than reel to reel decks. Of course, as a result the quality went down, due to the limitations of cassette tape.

The quality would also depend on the use of microphones. That is, if the taper used internal or external microphones.

The back story on this tape may be better than the actual tape, if this is an audience tape by a real bootlegger.

Tapes that are of good quality should be archival and last for a long time, but of course this doesn't always happen. It is amazing what surfaces on tape and how good the quality is. Hopefully this one will turn out to be kick ass.

LouieB

You never know this could be a real find, looking forward to hearing what it is. Maybe some Dylan or Beatles cover, a fantastic version of Voodoo Chile, the mind boggles at the possibilities.

Well, Crap! Found out our man is GOING ON vacation - not coming BACK FROM. The suspense is killing me, but will have to wait 2 whole weeks before I find out anything tangible.

Sorry for being a "Rock Tease"! :hmm

Not to be a killjoy, but Hendrix was so widely bootlegged, it's unlikely to be something no one else has. Check the site A-man posted, or even db.etree.org, and you can see there are multiple sources of many, many shows and even motel room recordings. I wouldn't get too excited about it yet.

I only say that as cassette machines/cassettes were not all that common in the the time period of say, 1968-1970.

Not that it is known for its high fidelity but the Velvet Underground's Live at Max's Kansas City album was recorded on a portable cassette recorder in 1970.

Not that it is known for its high fidelity but the Velvet Underground's Live at Max's Kansas City album was recorded on a portable cassette recorder in 1970.

Bridget Polk (Berlin) had that cassette machine due to her association with Andy Warhol. He often taped everything going on around him.

The songs were recorded on a mono recorder using a simple ferro musicassette in a small venue, resulting in tape hiss and an audience often drowning out the more quiet bits of music.

I would think it is going to be from one of these shows.

January 1969

Fri 11 - Dorton Arena - Raleigh, N.C. sup (Fat Mattress)

Sat 12 - Spectrum-Philadelphia.

Fri 18 - Ellis Auditorium Amphitheatre - Memphis, Tennessee.

Sat 19 - Sam Houston Auditorium - Houston, Texas.

Sun 20 - Memorial Auditorium - Dallas, TX. sup (Cat Mother - Fat Mattress)

Sat 26 - Forum - Inglewood, California. sup (Chicago Transit Authority - Cat Mother)

Sun 27 - Oakland Coliseum - Oakland, California. it's a jammin happening in the big Oak. sup (Fat Mattress - Jefferson Airplane) Jimi Jams with Noel, Mitch, and Jack Cassidy of the Jefferson Airplane during the concert.

May 1969

Fri 2 Cobo Hall - Detroit, Michigan. sup (Fat Mattress - Cat Mother)

Sat 3 - Maple Leaf Gardens - Toronto, Canada. the cats

Sun 4 - War Memorial Auditorium - Syracuse, N.Y.

Wed 7 - University Of Alabama - Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Fri 9 - Charlotte Coliseum - Charlotte, N.C. sup (Chicago Transit Authority)

Sat 10 - Charleston Civic Center -Charleston, West Virginia. sup (Chicago Transit Authority - Fat Mattress)

Sun 11 - State Fair Grounds Coliseum-Indianapolis, Indiana. sup (Chicago Transit Authority)

Fri 16 - Civic Center - Baltimore, M.D. sup (Buddy Miles Express - Cat Mother)

Sat 17 - Rhode Island Auditorium - Providence, Rhode Island. sup (Buddy Miles Express - Cat Mother)

Sun 18 - Madison Square Garden - N.Y.C. sup (Buddy Miles Express - Cat Mother)

Fri 23 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington.

Sat 24 - Sports Arena - San Diego, California.

Sun 25 - Pop Festival Santa Clara, California. sup (Taj Mahal - Loading Zone - Fat Mattress, and more)

Fri 30 - Waikiki Shell, Honolulu, Hawaii.

June '69

Fri 20 - Newport Pop Festival - Devon shire Downs. California. sup (Ike & Tina Turner - Joe Cocker - Taj

Mahal - Edwin Hawkins - Spirit - Don Ellis)

Sun 29 - Denver Pop Festival Mile High stadium - Denver, Colorado. sup (Three Dog Night - Joe Cocker)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience breaks-up as Noel quits the band.

August 1969

Mon 18 - Woodstock Arts & Music Festival - New York. The Concert, to end all concerts!

September 1969

Fri 5 - 13th Street Festival-Harlem-New York City. sup (Sam and Dave - Big Maybelle)

Wed 10 - Salvation Club-New York City.

December 1969

Wed 31 - Fillmore East - Debut of Band Of Gypsy's

January 1970

Thu 1 - Fillmore East - N.Y.C sup (Voices of East Harlem)

Wed 28 - Winter Festival for Peace, Madison Square garden - N.Y. sup (Dave Brubeck, Judy Colins, Peter Paul and Mary, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Ritchie Havens, The Rascals, Mother Earth and more)

April 1970

Sat 25 - L.A. Forum - Inglewood, California. sup (Ballin' Jack - Buddy Miles Express) the start of the cry of love tour.

Sat 26 CAL EXPO - Sacramento, California. sup (Blue Mountain Eagle - Buddy Miles Express)

May 1970

Fri 1 - Milwaukee Auditorium, Wisconsin. support - (Oz)

Sat 2 - Dane County Coliseum - Madison, Wisconsin. sup (savage Grace, Oz)

Sun 3 - St Paul civic center - Minnesota.

Mon 4 - Village Gate - New York. sup - (Johnny Winter) benefit for Timothy Leary

Fri 8 - Field House University Of Oklahoma. sup (Bloodrock)

Sat 9 - Will Rogers coliseum - Fort Worth, Texas.

Sun 10 - Hemisphere Arena - San Antonio, Texas.

Sat 16 -Temple University - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. sup (The Grateful Dead, Steve Miller band, Cactus)

Fri 22 - Cincinnati-Ohio -

Sat 23 - Kiel Auditorium - St Louis, Missouri.

Sun 24 - Veterans Memorial Auditorium - Columbus, Ohio.

Sat 30 - Berkeley Community Theatre - Berkeley, California. sup (Tower of Power)

June 1970

Fri 5 - Memorial Auditorium - Dallas, Texas.

Sat 6 - Sam Houston Coliseum-Houston, Texas. sup (Ballin Jack)

Sun 7 - Assembly Center arena-Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Tue 9 - Memphis, Tennessee.

Wed 10 - Roberts Municipal Stadium - Evansville, Indiana.

Sat 13 - Baltimore Civic Center - Baltimore, Maryland. sup (Ballin Jack - Cactus)

Fri 19 - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Sat 20 - Swing Auditorium - San Bernardino, California. The night I saw Hendrix.

Sun 21 - Ventura County Playgrounds - Ventura, California.

Tue 23 - Monmouth Gardens-Denver, Colorado.

Sat 27 - Boston Gardens, Massachusetts. sup (The Illusion - Cactus)

July 1970

Sat 4 - Atlantic Pop Festival - Gainesville, Georgia. sup (Rare Earth -Chamber Brothers - Lee Michael - Jethro Tull - Cactus - Cat Mother - Rotary Connection)

Sun 5 - Miami Hai Alai - Fronton, Florida.

Fri 17 - Randall Island Festival - Downing Stadium - NY. sup (Grand Funk - Jethro Tull - Stepenwolf - John

Sebastian)

Sat 25 - Sports Arena - San Diego, California. sup (Cat Mother)

Sun 26 - Sicks Stadium - Seattle, Washington. sup (Cactus - Rube Tuben - The Rondonas)

July 30 - Rainbow Bridge, Island of Maui, Hawaii - two shows both recorded and filmed.

So Chicago opened for Hendrix a couple of times - weird. Altho I guess no weirder than Hendrix opening for the Monkees...

That was not the Chicago of today, but rather when they were actually a rock band.

Reading through the list of gigs Jimi did supports my post about musicians not getting around quite as much in the past as they do now. Wilco performs about as often in one year as Jimi did in his entire career.

LouieB

Reading through the list of gigs Jimi did supports my post about musicians not getting around quite as much in the past as they do now. Wilco performs about as often in one year as Jimi did in his entire career.

LouieB

He didn't even want to do a lot of those shows. I didn't list the overseas shows.