There's a new Grant Hart record?

I will always and forever be on the Hart side of Du

Grant Hart of H|sker D| Announces New Solo Album, "Hot Wax"

Con D'or Records and MVD Audio are proud to announce the release of Grant

Hart - Hot Wax on both CD and vinyl for worldwide distribution on October

6th, 2009. '80s alternative rock has gone down in the history of music as

one of the most fertile and influential musical movements ever - as judged

by the amount of notable bands that would subsequently "follow the leaders."

And one of the leading lights of the movement was unquestionably H|sker D|.

After the group's split, drummer Grant Hart moved out front with guitar in

hand, and also handled lead vocals on his solo releases. But Hart has spent

the last few years working on Hot Wax. Joining Hart on the disc is a diverse

cast of musicians from Godspeed You Black Emperor, Silver Mt. Zion, and Rank

Strangers with the tracks being recorded in both Montreal and Minneapolis.

Hart explains: "The song 'Narcissus, Narcissus' is my first attempt at

combining ancient Greek mythology and American rock-a-billy. By merging

those influences with an ice cream truck atmosphere I think I have found a

style that defines this period of my career. 'You're the Reflection of the

Moon on the Water' is one of the most organic rock and roll songs that I

have ever written. It's style owes a lot to my devotion for Patti Smith. It

was inspired by a comment made by a monk during the selection process to

find the next Panchen Lhama, who said of one candidate, 'He is the

reflection of the moon on the water but he is not the moon'." As a member of

H|sker D| (which also included singer/guitarist Bod Mould and mustachioed

bassist Greg Norton), Hart played on such all-time alt-rock classics as

1984's Zen Arcade and 1985's New Day Rising, while constantly criss-crossing

the U.S. with legendary explosive live shows. Since H|sker D|'s split in

1987, Hart has sporadically issued solo releases, and was also spotted as a

member of the group Nova Mob. He has found a place and function in visual

and dramatic art forms as well. Hot Wax will be Grant's sixth solo release

overall.

I'm firmly on the Mould side, but have enormous respect for all of them. Saw Grant a few months ago. The man can sing better than the CD releases of Husker Du ever revealed. He doesn't look well.

He sang some great tunes with Husker Du, in particular, "Books About UFO's" is pretty damn fabulous.

Have you ever heard the song "Grant Hart" by The Posies?

• 1 month later...

Grant Hart tour dates:

Nov 5 2009 9:30P Vaudeville Mews Des Moines, Iowa

Nov 6 2009 10:15P The Record Bar Kansas City, Missouri

Nov 7 2009 10:00P Replay Lounge Lawrence, Kansas

Nov 8 2009 9:00P Hi-Dive Denver

Nov 11 2009 8:00P TBA Los Angeles, California

Nov 12 2009 8:30P Silverlake Lounge Los Angeles

Nov 13 2009 9:00P Thee Parkside San Francisco, California

Nov 15 2009 8:00P Hemlock Tavern San Francisco, California

Nov 17 2009 8:00P Dante’s Portland, Oregon

Nov 18 2009 8:00P High Dive Seattle, Washington

Dec 5 2009 8:00P TBA Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dec 11 2009 8:00P Darkroom Chicago, Illinois

Dec 13 2009 8:00P Frankie’s Inner City Toledo, Ohio

Dec 14 2009 8:00P Horseshoe Tavern Toronto, Ontario

Dec 15 2009 8:00P La Sala Rossa Montreal, Quebec

Dec 16 2009 8:00P The Middle East Nightclub Cambridge, Massachusetts

Dec 17 2009 9:00P World Cafe Live Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Dec 19 2009 9:00P 92YTribeca New York, New York

Dec 20 2009 6:30P Record Collector Bordentown, New Jersey

Dec 22 2009 8:00P Grog Shop Cleveland Heights, Ohio

Feb 10 2010 8:00P The Troubadour Fortitude Valley, Queensland

Feb 11 2010 8:00P The Annandale Annandale, New South Wales

Feb 12 2010 8:00P Norfolk Basement Fremantle, Western Australia

Feb 13 2010 8:00P Northcote Social Club Northcote, Victoria

Feb 14 2010 8:00P Northcote Social Club Northcote, Victoria

• 10 months later...

Hot Wax just arrived. Giving it a first listen today.

Okay, first listen:

Solid. Obvious highlights include "You're the Reflection of the Moon On the Water" (beautiful lyric) and "I Knew All About You Since Then" (bitter and catchy).

Overall, not as great as his last one -- Good News For Modern Man -- but certainly not a throwaway. It'll take a couple of listens to fully sink in. But I am liking it. No regrets.

• 3 months later...

I've been listening to a lot of Huskers (and Grant and Bob solo) recently. As I mentioned in the NP thread, I got the new bio of Husker Du and read it over the holidays. I thought it was decent. Grant and Greg were interviewed extensively for it but Bob is writing his own book so he wouldn't be interviewed for this one. I appreciate that the author focused on the music and not the drugs and sex. The book is much more focused on the early days and pays pretty short shrift to the last couple of albums.

• 4 weeks later...

Grant Hart in house fire

Musician Grant Hart suffers house fire

The Hüsker Dü veteran is out of the hospital and sorting through the damage at his South St. Paul home.

Twin Cities musician Grant Hart suffered a two-room fire at his home in South St. Paul and was temporarily hospitalized Wednesday, but friends say the Hüsker Dü veteran is doing alright now and sorting through the damage.

The South Metro Fire Department responded to an emergency call at the house at 2:43 p.m. and arrived to find fire and smoke coming out of a window. Friends said Hart, 49, is happy that his two cats survived. The home originally belonged to his late father and his mother, 86. Among the items lost were a favorite guitar and some gear, said Hüsker Dü attorney and friend Doug Myren, but Hart is "still picking through everything and doesn't know how much of his other gear might have been hurt by smoke damage."

Reps from First Avenue and the Turf Club said they were interested in holding benefits for Hart if needed. Hart played 7th Street Entry on Christmas and came straight off a European tour to perform at First Ave's 40th-anniversary party in December.

Yes, good to know that Grant is OK. And also, his cats. :wub

that article was a bit hairy (no pun intended) with the initial details, as only one of the cats was found right away. the other one that was lost eventually was found on Friday out wandering around in the cold cheers.gif

• 1 month later...

Listening to Good News for Modern Man right now and just hoping that he doesn't wait another 10 freaking years before putting out another record, damnit.

I think that Grant's solo stuff is just as good as Bob's, and more consistently good.

(Maybe that's partially due to the 10-yr. layoffs, but I could still do with another shot of Grant songs a lot sooner.)

Love ya, Grant and glad to hear that you're doing okay!

• 1 year later...

Interesting - and all over the palce - interview with Grant from last month:

http://blogs.village....php?print=true

Didn't get to read the whole thing (yet). But I am waiting with bated breath for the new album to be released. Always good news when there is new Grant material in the offering.

And glad to read that he's doing okay.

• 9 months later...

Grant Hart kindly answers questions submitted by his friends on Facebook:

Q: Ryan Garn asks "Will we see a vinyl release of The Argument? Also how has the filming of Every Everything been going?"

A: WE WILL SEE VINYL. IT WAS CREATED WITH THAT AS THE PRIMARY LISTENING FORMAT. I HAVE ENJOYED MOST OF THE TIME SPENT ON SHOOTING THE DOCUMENTARY. I HAVE TRIED MY BEST TO NOT GET TOO INVOLVED. TO LET IT BE ABOUT ME RATHER THAN BY ME. I DON'T ARRANGE TRIBUTES TO MYSELF. I LIKE FILM AS AN ART FORM. I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE ONE SOMETIME. MY WORK FOR CHRIS LARSON IN THIS GENRE HAS BEEN QUITE REWARDING.

Q: Danny Wilk asks "In anticipation of the release of "The Argument," here's my (double) question:
Where would you rank "Green Eyes" out of all of the Husker Du songs you composed, and where would you place "Think It Over Now" among the solo material you've written? I rank them both EXTREMELY high!"

A: I KNOW THAT GREEN EYE'S HAS BEEN "OUR SONG" FOR MANY COUPLES OVER THE YEARS. THAT IS THE SECOND MOST FLATTERING THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME VIA MY SONGS. YOUR SECOND SONG, "THINK IT OVER NOW" IS A SURPRISE. THEN WE WERE MAKING "GOOD NEWS...." THE LAST SONG, "LITTLE NEMO" ENDED WITH A WILD SONIC COLLAGE THAT WAS GROUNDED WITH A BASSLINE. ONE DAY I HAD THE INSPIRATION TO "BOOK END" THE RECORD BY STARTING IT WITH A SONG THAT FEATURED THE BASS LINE FROM THE SOUND COLLAGE. THAT BECAME "THINK IT OVER NOW"

Q: Gene Davidov asks "Hey Grant. Spasibo for great memories in mpls back in the 80ies. Is there possibility Huskers will reunite for a tour? You would make million people so happy. Husker veggies waiting. Thank you"

A: DOBRE UTRA TOVARICH! NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I DO NOT THINK THERE IS MUCH HOPE OF A REUNION. I WILL SPARE YOU AND THE READERS OF THIS INTERVIEW THE DETAILS. THERE ARE REASONS TO DO IT AND REASONS TO NOT DO IT. THE ONLY REASONS TO DO IT WOULD BE TO GET RICH. IF THERE WAS A REASON BEYOND THAT, IF IT COULD BRING AWARENESS TO SOME CAUSE WE SHARE CONCERNS ABOUT OR DO SOME TREMENDOUS GOOD I WOULD BE ALL FOR IT. NOBODY HAS EVER LOVED BOB MOULD LIKE I HAVE. I
SCALED GREAT HEIGHTS WITH HIM MUSICALLY. OUR ADMIRATION FOR EACH OTHER,NEVER PHYSICAL, BROUGHT FORTH A NEW WAY OF MUSIC. WOULDN'T THERE BE UNFAIR PRESSURE ON THE TWO OF US IF WE MADE MUSIC LIVE AGAIN?

Q: Peter Kramer asks "Would touring with a full band be out of the question?"

A: IT WASN'T OUT OF THE QUESTION IN DECEMBER WHEN I TOURED WITH THREE LADS FROM THE WEST OF IRELAND. IF THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE AGREES, THEY WILL BE DOING THE TOURS FOR U.S.,EUROPE AND EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Q: Christopher Sieving asks "Greetings Mr. Hart. Thank you for so many years of amazing music. As a songwriter you've always been known for a vast array of influences (as again shown by your adaptation of Milton); what are your major influences as a drummer? Personally, I've always heard more of a jazz influence in your drumming than a hardcore influence, especially because you play drums as if they were a lead instrument, even in a guitar-dominated musical form. Thanks for your time, and best to you always."

A: I WISH I HAD THE STICKWORK TO GIVE JAZZ IT'S DUE. I GUESS I NEVER LOOKED AT IT LIKE A LEAD INSTRUMENT, BUT I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF IT AS A RHYTHYM SECTION WITH THE BASS, EITHER.WHEN YOUR TRAINING IS LIMITED TO WHAT YOU TEACH YOURSELF, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.THE HARDCORE STYLE WAS LIKE A SPEEDED-UP POLKA. I PLAYED ENOUGH POLKA BY THE TIME I WAS FOURTEEN TO LAST THREE LIFETIMES! WOULD IT BE CORRECT TO SAY I DRUMMED LIKE A VOCALIST?

Q: Melissa Sharkey asks "i didnt download Hot Wax but i was poor so i rented it from the library in Auckland. As i checked it out the young cute librarian said "this is a great album" ...and it is."

A: THANK GOODNESS THE PLAN IS WORKING. WE SENT CUTE LIBRARIANS ACROSS THE GLOBE TO INFLUENCE LISTENERS. AS TWO MINNESOTANS, I AM LOATHE TO SAY A WORD AGAINST PRINCE. HIS REVOLUTION IS NOT LIMITED TO MUSIC. WILD AS HELL, SEXY BUT NOT SWISH, HE SHOWED THE WORLD THAT A STRAIGHT MAN CAN LOOK JUST AS SEXY IN LACE PANTIES AS ANY SECRET VICTORIA EVER TOLD HER BEST FRIEND AND CONFIDANT. PRINCE WAS A DUDE BEFORE THE WORD WAS RUINED FOREVER.

Q: Melissa Sharkey asks "we are off to see bob mould in a few weeks here in Melbourne .... are you thinking of touring Australia?..also ..my pal thinks you are great and that ..he has this pet theory that you and Prince sound so similar when you sing...have you ever considered writing songs for him?he should cover you .Prince cant write ihts anymore but you can .it would be a good lucrative partnership"

A: PRINCE STILL HAS SOME SURPRISES FOR US, I AM SURE. HE HAS ONLY BEGUN HIS SECOND ACT. PERHAPS. HE IS A BADASS. DO NOT FORGET. I REPEAT, PRINCE IS A BADASS. AND SO AM I.

Q: Tom Holter asks "What was your favorite record released in 2012?"

A: TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST WITH YOU TOM, I WAS SO BUSY THIS YEAR I DID NOT LISTEN TO ENOUGH NEW RELEASES TO MAKE A HONEST ANSWER POSSIBLE. I DID FIND THE NELSON GASTALDI ALBUM ON ROARATORIO A DELIGHTFUL AIRSCAPE. I RECOMMEND IT FOR ALL LOVERS OF EXPERIMENTAL COMPOSITION.

Q: Paula Warner asks "Did you in fact end up playing a conch shell on any of the songs, as you thought you might? Aaaaaaannnnd...how close are you to the actual release date? You know very well how excited I am about this album! And the fella who said he thinks you play drums like a lead instrument? Yeah. I've thought for a long time that you're a really melodic drummer. No one, I repeat, NO ONE drums like you!"

A: HELLO PAULA, I DID NOT FIND ANY SATISFACTION WITH RESULTS FROM CONCH EXPERIMENTS. BY SPEEDING THE TAPE UP I COULD GET A NICE RUMBLE OUT OF A CONCH BUT NOTHING THAT WOULD BLEND WELL WITH OTHER SOUNDS.

Q: Paul Wogan asks "Hey Grant! I'm a huge fan of Husker Du and Nova Mob. Who was the best musician technically in each band and why?"

A: I WOULD SAY THAT BOB WAS THE BETTER MUSICIAN TECHNICALLY. WHEN HE HAD THE WILL TO TAKE HIS TIME AND NOT JUST STICK WITH THE FIRST THING THAT POPPED INTO HIS HEAD HE COULD BE ABSOLUTELY GREAT. TOM MERKL WAS BY FAR THE BEST MUSICIAN I EVER PLAYED WITH, BESIDES A TWO SONG LIVE BIT WITH PHILIP GLASS REAL NATURAL. NOTHING PHONEY, GOOD TASTE. SOMETIMES TOO BUSY.

Q: Paula Warner asks "What is the strangest/most exotic musical instrument you have ever played?"

A: THE STRANGEST WOULD BE THE CATERPILLAR ZITHER, DESCRIBED IN "IMPRESSIONS OF AFRICA" BY ROUSSEL.

Q: Michaal Milo Campo asks "what do you think of the recent greg ginn Black Flag "reunion" and the keith morris lead FLAG thang?"

A: IF I WOULD HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE GENE VINCENT WHEN I WAS TWENTY I WOULD HAVE BEEN CRAZY HAPPY. BUT SOMEHOW THE REUNION FAD SEEMS TO BE ENERGIZED BY MID-LIFE CRISIS.I AM SURE BOB WOULD AGREE WITH ME ON THIS, I WOULD RATHER HAVE GRANT HART FANS COMING TO MY OWN SHOWS THAN HUSKER DU FANS. OR NOVA MOB FANS. I WANT PEOPLE COMING THAT DON'T FEEL LIKE THEY ARE SETTLING FOR SOMETHING LESS. MY SHOWS ARE NOT COMPROMISES WITH THE PAST. MY SHOWS ARE AS MUCH ABOUT THE FUTURE AS I CAN MAKE THEM.AND THE FUTURE IS RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I HAVE RUN INTO BANDS HAVING A BAD TIME OF IT REUNITING FOR A TOUR. BUMMED OUT AND DISCOURAGED. WHAT DID THEY DO IT FOR IF IT DID NOT MAKE THEM HAPPY TO DO IT?

Q: James Friedman kinda asks "Did you ever get into Jay Reatard?"

A: I AM SORRY AND I FEEL A BIT STUPID ABOUT THIS, BUT I HAVE NO MEMORIES OF EVER HEARING ANY OF JAY'S MUSIC. WHERE SHOULD I START?

Q: Tom Sanford asks "Hi Grant, The remixed/remastered edition of Last Days of Pompeii was an unexpected - and very welcome - surprise. I always felt the original mix was-- with all due respect--a little flat and and gutless... In other words, the mix did not match the intensity of the performances and the overall excellence of the material therein. In some respects I'd even go as far as to say the mix sabotaged some of the tracks (eg 'Over My Head'). The special edition addresses all of these issues...and then some!
Can you talk about your feelings regarding the original Pompeii mix and any specific concerns that necessitated the remix/remastered special edition?"

A: WHEN WE WERE WRAPPING UP THE FIRST,THE ORIGINAL MIX WE WERE ATTEMPTING TO GET THE SECOND HALF OF OUR RECORDING BUDGET FROM ROUGH TRADE INTERNATIONAL.
WHEN THIS WAS NOT FORTHCOMING WE WENT INTO DEBT TO FINISH THE MIXING, BUT THINGS LIKE ALBUM EQ'S AND ENGINEER HOURS WERE LACKING. WE LEFT SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS ON FIXING THE EQ IN MASTERING, BUT IT WAS NOT DONE. ROUGH TRADE WENT BANKRUPT SHORTLY AFTER THE RECORD CAME OUT AND WE GOT OUR SECOND HALF OF THE ADVANCE IN CASSETTES OF THE RECORD. THE NEW ROUGH TRADE HAS NO SUCH PROBLEMS. THEY ARE AN HONEST COMPANY. INTERNATIONAL WAS A BIT DODGY.

THE REASON FOR THE REMIX IS SELF-EVIDENT. THE NEW MASTER SOUNDS BETTER. ONE THING I MUST OWN UP TO ABOUT THE RECORDING OF THAT RECORD. TOWARDS THE END I WAS DRINKING. THE ONLY PROBLEM IT HAD ANY EFFECT ON WAS A DRINKING PROBLEM. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A PROBLEM PUTTING THE ARTIST BEFORE THE ART.

Q: Julio Cesar Magalhaes asks "i would like to ask to mr. grant: your lyrics follow a 60s model of packing loads of information, with seconds meanings and lots of hidden references to many forms of art on some verses, but keeping it all simple and of easy access for many. Would like to ask you if and how the influence of your friendship with the late William Burroughs affected this aspect of your songwriting?

A: I WOULD HAVETO SAY THAT WILLIAM INFLUENCED ME MORE AS A MAGICIAN THAN AS A WRITER. I LEARNED TO BE OPEN TO UNCONVENTIONAL MEANS OF PROCURING A WORD. HIS CUT-UP METHOD IS BUT ONE OF MANY WAYS TO LET THE UNCONSCIOUS GUIDE YOU AND YOUR WORD CHOICES OR EVEN THE VARIETIES OF MEANING. DREAMS ARE ALWAYS TELLING YOU SOMETHING. THE ABILITY TO READ THEM COMES WITH EXPERIENCE. OPENING ONES SELF UP TO THE INFORMATION COMING IN IS CRUCIAL. RECENTLY I MADE USE OF THE BURROUGHS/GYSIN CUT-UP METHOD, OR MY PARTICULAR VERSION OF IT. IT IS AMAZING HOW WELL IT WORKS WHEN YOUR MATERIALS ARE OF THE RIGHT FLAVOUR.

Q: Tom Sandford asks "One more thing. Why don't you ever come to Toronto?"

A: I AM SORRY TO NEGLECT YOU ONTARIANS.I HOPE TO BRING THE BAND THERE VERY SOON.

Q: Bernard Meisler asks "Hi Grant! You and the Nova Mob stayed at my apartment on 20 Clinton Street in 1990 when I was subletting from Kevin Johnson. You guys stole all my pillows for the van. My question for you: can I have them back now?"

A: SORRY TO SAY I CANNOT REMEMBER THIS EVENT. HAVE YOU ANY IDEA HOW I CAN MAKE IT UP TO YOU? HAVE YOU REPLACED THEM YET? I AM VERY SORRY ABOUT THIS SELFISH OVERSIGHT. WERE THEY HEIRLOOMS?

Q: M.a. Ross asks "I've been a fan of your lyric writing for quite some time. Your single for "2541" is one of my favorite EP's by you. With "California Zepher" a close second.

I've read "Husker Du: The Story of the Noise Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock" by Andrew Earles. Which was quite thorough and an interesting read. And I also read "See A Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody" by Bob Mould with Michael Azerrad. And that book was also a compelling read.

My questions are have you read these books and is there anything in them that you'd like to say about these books?"

A: IT WAS NOT THE MEMOIR THAT PATTI'S "JUST KIDS" IS. THERE WERE PARTS OF BOB'S BOOK THAT I HAVE ISSUES WITH. HE SHOULD HAVE USED A DIFFERENT SONG TITLE FOR THE TITLE OF THE BOOK. ANY IDEAS FROM THE FANS?

Q: Avril Taylor asks "2541 is one of my favourite songs of all time. It sounds pretty personal to you though. Is it weird for you that personal things to you become very significant and personal for complete strangers?"

A: I DON'T PUBLISH SONGS THAT I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO HEAR. I HAVE TAKEN STEPS TO PREVENT ANYBODY FROM EVER HEARING "MY FEELINGS OF INADEQUACY" AND
"MY DADDY'S PEE-PEE".

Q: Andie McGrath asks "which european country had the best smack?"

A: SINCE NO COUNTRY I EVER USED IN HAD ANY LOCALLY PRODUCED OPIATES, I FEEL THAT YOUR QUESTION CAN NOT BE GIVEN A SIMPLE ANSWER. IT IS A QUESTION OF DISTRIBUTION. SINCE I WAS PRETTY MUCH ON MY OWN THERE WAS ALSO THE ADDED FACTOR OF LUCK. AMSTERDAM ,FOR EXAMPLE, IS KNOWN FOR DOPE. THAT IS BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE REDUCED TO SELLING ON THE STREET TO FINANCE THEIR OWN USE.THIS MAKES IT VERY VISIBLE. HOWEVER THE BEST IS NOT SOLD ON THE STREET.

"BUILD A BETTER MOUSETRAP AND THEY WILL BEAT A PATH TO YOUR DOOR" IS THE WAY IT WORKS. THE BEST IS SOLD FROM RESIDENCES, TO A SELECT CLIENTELE. NOT EASY TO CRASH INTO THAT SCENE.

BUT A SIMPLE ANSWER WOULD BE SWITZERLAND AND SARDINIA. I DO NOT RATE COUNTRIES ON THIS FACTOR ANYMORE. BUT IT'S LIKE ANYTHING ANYWHERE. IT'S WHO YOU KNOW AND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE TO SPEND. PROBLEM IS JUNKIES USUALLY BUY THE FIRST DOPE THEY FIND.

Q: China Cat Sunflower asks "are there any chances of you coming to Argentina???"

A: I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A TRUSTWORTHY BOOKER THERE. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY? WOULD YOU LIKE TO THROW A BIG PARTY?

Q: Herman Victoor asks " I saw you twice (in Belgium) and both times you played electric guitar. But on 'Ecce Homo' you played on an acoustic guitar. Why...? And would you consider playing live on an acoustic guitar again? Of course, the main thing is you keep touring... I would come and see you even if you played accordion."

A: THOSE KIND WORDS ARE VERY GRATIFYING. I PLAYED THAT SHOW FROM ECCE HOMO WITH AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR BECAUSE TOM AND I HAD LEFT OUR OTHER GUITAR PLAYER IN THE LAST TOWN WE PLAYED.IT WAS THE VERY FIRST TIME I HAD PLAYED GUITAR FOR SIX MONTHS. THAT'S WHY THE MATERIAL IS SO BASIC. I HAD NO ELECTRIC WITH ME. I WAS PLAYING DRUMS UP TO THAT POINT AFTER OUR OLD DRUMMER LEFT MID TOUR A MONTH BEFORE. I WOULD RATHER ADAPT THAN BE STRONG ARMED WITH ULTIMATUMS.

Q: Barry Lowe asks "Hey Grant. Do you ever see yourself playing as part of a band again and more importantly would you ever consider an anniversary tour for The Last Days Of Pompeii, say for example a 25th anniversary in 2016?"

A: I HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING PLAYING AGAIN WITH TOM. WE WILL SEE. I AM PLAYING WITH THREE FINE GUYS FROM IRELAND. FIVE SHOWS ALREADY AND WE ROCK!

Q: David Peterson asks "Thank you for the wonderful music Grant. "So Far From Heaven" is my favorite song. HOT WAX sounds great in my taxi. If you could have lunch with John Milton, what would you talk about?"

A: IT DEPENDS ON IF HIS CONSCIOUSNESS WENT ON TO THINGS AND DEVELOPED AFTER HIS DEATH. I GUESS HIS IMPRESSIONS OF GALILEO WOULD BE ONE THING WE COULD DISCUSS. ALSO I WOULD ASK HIM HOW HE MANAGED TO KEEP HIS HEAD AFTER THE RESTORATION.ALSO IF HE WROTE "PARADISE RESTORED" TO OFFSET CONTROVERSY AFTER "PARADISE LOST".

Q: Patrick Rose asks " Grant, you have been releasing music for many years. Throughout that time the music industry has changed immensely. What do you see as changing for the better or the worse?"

A: THIRTY YEARS AGO YOU COULD DEPEND ON QUALITY MORE THAN TODAY. TODAY TOO MANY WANNABEES RECORD IN THEIR BATHROOM AND THINK IT SHOULD STAND NEXT TO "SGT. PEPPER". THERE IS AN ELITIST ANTI-ELITISM THAT GIVES SNOT-NOSED TEENAGERS A PASS FOR ANYTHING. WHEN I WAS A SNOT-NOSED TEENAGER THINGS WERE DIFFERENT! WE DID NOT WORSHIP TECHNOLOGY. SMALLER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. FASTER IS NOT ALWAYS TIME-SAVING. UNLESS YOU WANT TO MAKE A CRAPPY SOUNDING DIGITAL "RECORD" AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE.THINK THINGS ARE ALRIGHT TODAY IF YOU SEEK WISE PEOPLE, THEY ARE HERE.

Q: Thax Douglas asks "What's your favorite color?"

A: TODAY THE FIRST FAVORITE THAT COMES TO MIND IS A MEDIUM SHADE OF BROWNISH BLUE. OR THE WHITE LIKE A POET'S WHISKERS.

Q: Berni Sarazine What was the first record you bought with your own money? (money you earned vs allowancce, etc....when it's money you earned you tend to be choosier, I have found) ps love you hon"

A: "DOT RECORDS GOLDEN INSTRUMENTALS"

Q: Tom McGee asks "Grant, saw you perform in Galway in 2011 and then Dublin in 2012. What sparked two Irish tours within such a short amount of time? Not complaining, both were brilliant. Do you have any intention of touring again with the band you put together for the 2012 dates? Thanks for coming here."

A: OH YES, I LOVE PLAYING WITH THESE GUYS. THEY LET ME MAKE MUSIC RATHER THAN GETTING BOGGED DOWN ADMINISTRATING A BAND'S BUSINESS. THEY MAKE IT A JOY WITH THEIR SELF STARTING WAYS.

Q: Jason Seiple asks "What bands and albums have you been enjoying lately? I always love to hear about what music the musicians that I enjoy listening to are enjoying."

A: MY LISTENING HABITS ARE ABNORMAL. I LISTEN TO EMBARRASSINGLY LITTLE.

Q: John Redgrave asks "Hi grant What were your musical influences growing up. I have noticed a lot more love in your music in the last few years... Do you have a lover now or is it part of growing older and life experience.?"

A: I SOAKED IN EVERYTHING FROM THE LUTHERAN HYMNAL TO AL JOLSON. ROCK AND ROLL CHANGED MY LIFE. NO LOVER RIGHT NOW. I AM ENJOYING BEING %100 OF ONE PERSON RATHER THAN %50 OF TWO. I FALL IN LOVE ONCE A DAY AT LEAST. FORTUNATELY I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOWS ABOUT IT WHEN IT HAPPENS. LIFE EXPERIENCE SHOULD MAKE ME THE MOST BITTER, CK-ING MONSTER THERE IS. I TRY TO GET PAST THINGS.

Q: Gareth Murden asks "Grant, what is your favourite ever B side?"

A: "WIPE-OUT" BY THE SURFARIS

• 1 year later...

914%2B7EJLeuL._SY606_.jpg

Saw the Grant Hart documentary the other night and enjoyed it.  When I last saw Grant he sort of distanced himself from it which seems a little weird given that so much of it is just Grant talking.  But I suppose you can edit something to give a different spin on things.