What are you hearing?

Do you ever listen to an album and then read reviews and ask yourself, "are they listening to the same album I am?" For me, it is usually after I listen and love and album and then the review just trashes it. For example, I have always loved Dino Jr. "Without A Sound" and I don't understand when every album review kicks it as being weak and the worst dino jr. record. How is that possible? Anyway, anyone ever had this experience where you are just completely 180 from conventional wisdom?

Do you ever listen to an album and then read reviews and ask yourself, "are they listening to the same album I am?" For me, it is usually after I listen and love and album and then the review just trashes it. For example, I have always loved Dino Jr. "Without A Sound" and I don't understand when every album review kicks it as being weak and the worst dino jr. record. How is that possible? Anyway, anyone ever had this experience where you are just completely 180 from conventional wisdom?

I identify with what you're saying.

The experience I have far more often is when an album is praised to the heavens by critics, and I think it's shit.

Yep – for me, this seems to be true more often than not. Nowadays, it might be considered fashionable to bash Pitchfork, whose opinion I once trusted, but for the last few years, my reaction to the bands for which they sing their praises is tepid at best, and yet I often find myself enjoying the bands they’ve panned or reacted to with indifference.

When I discovered The Beatles records my favourites were With the Beatles and Beatles for Sale. I didn't read the press then. After, I've read that critics usually take them as their weakest albums. It always pissed me off.

As for my experience with critical praises of albums I didn't *get* first (or still don't get now), it seems that pretty much every record was deserving it. It just took me some time (and musical culture) to get it. I'm more wise now in that department. On the other hand, I still think a lot of people listen to praised records by principle, without necessarily understanding them. They follow as much as they trust, and don't enough learn to judge by themselves. I totally understand people refusing to believe the hype for that reason. You need to get it, not to follow.

I don't read Pitchfork. Last time I checked their home site, I didn't know (even hadn't heard of) most of the bands and artists mentionned in their best-rated list, and it just discouraged me. There is too much music out there. I can't listen to everything.

Is the love of music only motivated by what's best, or what deserves highest ratings? No way for me.

now playing: Neko Case, Middle Cyclone. It's beautiful and don't care what Pitchfork has to say about it. Really.