Lamborghini Offers No-Interest Financing

This is hilarious

‘Tis the season to buy a Murciélago with zero-percent financing. Lamborghini of America introduced a new Lamborghini Retail Finance Plan that allows customers to buy a Lamborghini Murciélago LP640-4 with zero percent financing for 60 months.

With the new financing deal, Lamborghini hopes to allow more automotive enthusiasts to get behind the wheel of one of the rarest and fastest cars on the plant. Purchasing a car that has a base price of over $350,000 normally requires some serious wealth – now, all it requires is a solid credit score (although we’d still recommend a serious amount of wealth behind your name).

Through the Lamborghini Retail Financing Plan, Lamborghini customers with a credit score over 700 can finance their LP640-4 purchase for 12 years at 5.9% APR with 10 percent down. To give you an idea of how astronomical the payments are on a bare bones Murciélago LP640-4 with a pricetag of $354,000, this roughly equates to $35,000 down with payments of $3096 per month for 12 years. After 12 years, interest payments alone amounts to an astounding $126,824.

For those with a more significant income and a credit score of over 740, Lamborghini is also offering zero percent financing for 60 months with a larger down payment. Assuming a 25-percent down payment ($87,500) a monthly payment through this financing plan would be approximately $4400 a month for 5 years. Once again, this assumes you’re picking up an LP640-4 with no options -- ordering a car to your tastes can push that price point over the $450,000 mark.

The new Lamborghini Retail Financing Plan is offered at select Lamborghini dealerships across the country and is available on all 2009 and 2010 Lamborghini Murciélago models.

I don't understand why that is hilarious.

Considering that most people that are in the market for such a vehicle (ultra luxury sporty cars, as classified by Automotive News) aren't that concerned about payment plans. Don't get me wrong; I can buy stuff outright and choose no interest when I can to make my money work for me, but I am not sure that the $$ that they make on not paying the interest is enough to make someone say, "gee, I'll buy this instead of a Ferrari". Financing like this is designed to get conquest purchasers. This type of vehicle is an emotional purchase, not a practical one.

So they shouldn't offer anything to try to entice buyers? I think anyone would want to try to make their money work for them, regardless of how much they have. People don't get rich or stay rich by just throwing their money around.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't see how a company offering a finance plan is hilarious.

EDIT: I guess I am being a little argumentative. :P

So they shouldn't offer anything to try to entice buyers? I think anyone would want to try to make their money work for them, regardless of how much they have. People don't get rich or stay rich by just throwing their money around.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't see how a company offering a finance plan is hilarious.

EDIT: I guess I am being a little argumentative. :P

I wonder what percentage of Lamborghini buyers finance them in the first place. Seems to me most buyers would just have their accountant make a bank transfer to the dealer (or walk in with a briefcase full of bills) and be done with it.

I wonder what percentage of Lamborghini buyers finance them in the first place. Seems to me most buyers would just have their accountant make a bank transfer to the dealer (or walk in with a briefcase full of bills) and be done with it.

I'm sure some do. Plus, maybe a nice financing offer will get some people to consider it or finally make the plunge if it's something they really want.

I'm sure some do. Plus, maybe a nice financing offer will get some people to consider it or finally make the plunge if it's something they really want.

I predict six months from now there'll be a lot of ragged out Lamborghinis on the auto repo auction market.