New LA'S album?!?!?!

SOURCE

From May 28, '09. Surprised that somebody didn't post about this earlier. (I didn't, did I?):

La's Lee Mavers' second album plan revealed

Mavers working on album with Babyshambles' Drew McConnell

The La's' Lee Mavers' plan to record the second La's album has moved on a step, with Babyshambles bassist Drew McConnell confirming that he had been recruited to record it with the elusive Liverpudlian.

Mavers has been gigging sporadically with McConnell for the past few months. On Tuesday (May 26) night) the duo played a house party together in aid of Instigate Debate.

After the gig, McConnell explained that the pair are auditioning for a guitarist and drummer to complete the new La's line-up, and that they will make their live debut at the Tramlines festival in Sheffield, which takes place on July 24-27.

"At the end of that tour we're going to go in and record the second record, which is all written already," McConnell told BBC 6 Music. "We just need to find a drummer and a guitar player that can nail it down the same way I have."

The bassist added that Mavers is currently staying with him while they work on the band.

"He saw me playing double bass and asked me if he could have a jam with me. The next day he came round to my house. A month later he's still there... As a musician I feel really honoured. I must have done something good in a past life."

The La's' eponymous debut album was released in 1990.

It would be good news if it did happen.

Curious if any of you all have heard any more news on this.

One hit wonders....!!!

LouieB

Either you're being sarcastic, or you've never heard the album.

If you haven't heard it, you should; it's a stone-cold classic.

Nope...didn't hear the album, but I do like the song. Despite the album being great they will always be known for that, since it was after all their "hit". To atone for being slightly sarcastic I just purchased the CD for 2 bucks on Amazon...

LouieB

Nope...didn't hear the album, but I do like the song. Despite the album being great they will always be known for that, since it was after all their "hit". To atone for being slightly sarcastic I just purchased the CD for 2 bucks on Amazon...

LouieB

It's a very wise $2 that you just spent, Louie. Unless, of course, you are not a fan of Beatlesque BritPop; in which case you will regret parting with your hard-earned 8 quarters. But if you do like that kind of thing... oh, you will be so happy!

:thumbup

I won't regret spending 2 bucks (plus 2.50 for shipping). I am sure it is a fine album, but the single, which is great, is what they will always be remembered for, not this album, no matter how good it is.

LouieB

I won't regret spending 2 bucks (plus 2.50 for shipping). I am sure it is a fine album, but the single, which is great, is what they will always be remembered for, not this album, no matter how good it is.

LouieB

they had another minor hit with 'timeless melody'.

LouieB

Very true, but I agree with those above - it's an amazing album. Pure pop awesomeness.

P.S. I saw you walk by me after the Sunday night Wilco show but didn't get a chance to say hello. :ohwell

they had another minor hit with 'timeless melody'.

And, I remember hearing "Feeling" on the radio, too. That's what finally pushed me over the edge to purchase the album.

But this thread is about the prospect of a NEW La's album. I mean, this could be really freaking amazing. (Unless it's a money grab, in which case it could suck.)

Very true, but I agree with those above - it's an amazing album. Pure pop awesomeness.

P.S. I saw you walk by me after the Sunday night Wilco show but didn't get a chance to say hello. :ohwell

I will give it a chance...I just never really imagined they could top the sound of the single, which is in fact amazing.

Hello!!! Who is this? If I know you well and didn't say I, apologies are in order...!!

LouieB

I will give it a chance...I just never really imagined they could top the sound of the single, which is in fact amazing.

Hello!!! Who is this? If I know you well and didn't say I, apologies are in order...!!

LouieB

we met briefly at a pre-livingroom show party a couple years ago and I reckognized you. We do not know eachother well, though that's mostly my fault since I also passed you by in the tent at pitchfork. I'm very shy in real life.

we met briefly at a pre-livingroom show party a couple years ago and I reckognized you. We do not know eachother well, though that's mostly my fault since I also passed you by in the tent at pitchfork. I'm very shy in real life.

Hey I am shy too....

You should have said hi at Pfork, I was giving discounts to people I knew.... :D

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I listened to the entire La's CD. Not bad but the single still outshines the rest. Actually there is a second song on there that has gotten some airplay.

Not sure these guys need a follow-up.

LouieB

There She Goes is one of the best singles of the past two decades for sure, but I certainly think Timeless Melody and the epic Looking Glass are just as good. I pretty much love everything on that disc though. Way too many bands have aped the sounds of 67-69, but The La's do 65 as well as anybody.

--Mike

There She Goes is one of the best singles of the past two decades for sure, but I certainly think Timeless Melody and the epic Looking Glass are just as good. I pretty much love everything on that disc though. Way too many bands have aped the sounds of 67-69, but The La's do 65 as well as anybody.

--Mike

Yea, I agree. I am not sorry I bought it, since I had not heard it. As Brit-pop/power pop goes, it is top notch. Strangely in context There she goes is less impressive, but alone it is a masterpiece of the kind of radio fare that no longer exists.

LouieB

Ican't decide it "There she goes" is an insidiously sweet love song to heroin (as strongly rumored and theorized about) or a lovely song about obsession with a girl.

Either way...it is simply sublime

There she goes

There she goes again

Racing through my brain

And I just can't contain

This feeling that remains

There she goes

There she goes again

Pulsing through my veins

And I just can't contain

There she goes

(There she goes again)

There she goes again

(There she goes again)

Racing through my brain

(There she goes)

And I just can't contain

There she goes

There she goes again

She calls my name

she pulls my train

No one else could heal my pain

And I just can't contain

There she goes

(She calls my name)

There she goes again

(She calls my name)

Chasing down my lane

(She calls my name)

And I just can't contain

There she goes

(There she goes again)

There she goes

(There she goes again)

There she goes

There she goes

There she goes again

Racing through my brain

And I just can't contain

There she goes

There she goes again

Pulsing through my veins

And I just can't contain

There she goes

(There she goes again)

There she goes again

(There she goes again)

Racing through my brain

(There she goes)

And I just can't contain

There she goes

There she goes again

She calls my name

she pulls my train

No one else could heal my pain

And I just can't contain

There she goes

(She calls my name)

There she goes again

(She calls my name)

Chasing down my lane

(She calls my name)

And I just can't contain

There she goes

(There she goes again)

There she goes

(There she goes again)

There she goes

Another album rumour. This will never see fruition and the longer John Power and his insipid BritPop songwriting stays out of the public domain the better.

Whoa kind of harsh. I mean the album is uneven and all, but not that bad. However I do think he is going to want to get paid for it, if in fact he ever gets it together.

LouieB

Whoa kind of harsh. I mean the album is uneven and all, but not that bad. However I do think he is going to want to get paid for it, if in fact he ever gets it together.

LouieB

I am not even ragging that much on the La's album which I find to be a bore for the most part. I was taking a dig at the bass player, John Power, and his post La's band called Cast. As despicable as Oasis without the charm of Noel. Brit guitar pop by numbers. Awful shite.

I was just messing with you. The term "public domain" means that it is music that is not subject copyright restrictions, not that it is music that is seeing the light of day.

I don't have a clue who is in the Las and I would be happy to never know. Just isn't important.

LouieB

I was just messing with you. The term "public domain" means that it is music that is not subject copyright restrictions

LouieB

Ah right, I knew that and what that term means. I wondered why you had highlighted it in my post.

Here...do what the song suggests and "walkaway" when in close proximity of Cast.