Hard, Soft & Squishy

Favorite Style of Wilco  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Style of Wilco Songs Do You Prefer?

• Hard (Rock Tunes)
    • Soft (Mellow Tunes)
    • Squishy (Experimental Tunes)

I thought about making a 3 CD Best of Set for Wilco and organizing them as;

Hard (the rock tunes ie; nothingsevergonna, Monday, heavy metal, box of letters)

Soft (the mellow tunes ie; jesus etc, either way, sky blue sky, how to fight loneliness)

Squishy (the experimental songs ie; misunderstood, Bull Black, IATTBYH, ALTWYS, Spiders, You are my face)

Perhaps 10-12 songs per album.

Kind of like what Tom Waits did with Orphans.

If I get a good track list then I can make album artwork for each one

My tastes are fairly wide so I can't say I really gravitate towards one style over another. For that reason my Wilco mix would probably have a bit of everything on 1 disc.

While many people debate albums I have taken to making my own playlists/cds and the three options you are contemplating are three of the many mixes I've made throughout the years. I don't have them written down and many of them were done on my old computer, which no longer functions. If you can wait a couple days I can post them later if you want. Note: I haven't done artwork and I haven't added any songs off the latest album to any mixes as of yet.

I tend to like all 3, as each one certainly has merits. However, I would classify Bull Black Nova as experimental - it's pretty tense and dissonant in the best way possible. I voted for "Squishy" as I do really like when they lay on a nice bit of noise during the songs.

Each album has each element you've identified, so it seems senseless to separate them.

Sometimes a person can only be in the mood for a certain kind of sound. You Are My Face is quite different than Either Way although they are on the same album. You can listen to the released album, but you can also create a different vibe by reassembling song orders to conform to a mood you are in or would like to create.