Another victory for the forces of evil

No, you're right. The biggest problem is that these factions are moving the wrong ways. In the Republican Party, especially. The moral wing keeps moving further right and the economic wing keeps moving further to the left. Leaving someone like me wondering what in the hell to do.

See, this is what happened to me in 1988. Go to the light!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no consistency in this regard. Strict constitutionalists and diehard small government conservatives go as far as their morality will allow and then will abandon it at that point. It's the same with the legalization of marijuana and abortion, in my opinion. Their morals supercede their political beliefs.

The legality of civil marriage seems far more straightforward that either of these.

The legality of civil marriage seems far more straightforward that either of these.

But they are still issues where the government can be seen as unduly interferring in the day to day lives of people. For many, the right to be free from government manipulation ends at their paycheck.

Hey, if you don't wanna pay the gym fees, you can't use the gym.

I've had discussions about gay marriage with conservatives in the past and got the whole 'if we let gay people get married, what's next? Humans and their pets?' theory. I always found that line of thinking completely insane and then yesterday read about the guy from Myrtle Beach who was just sentenced to three years in prison for having sex with some lady's horse. Apparently she caught it on video.

This article slayed me. My favorite quote: "I didn't mean to do it". :lol

I've come around on this topic.

I am conservative, but I don't care if gays get married. Now, if you get in my cab and start making out, we might have a problem, but marry away!

What is that even supposed to mean? Isn't that something that kind of applies across the board? I know it's a toss-off statement, it just seems superfluous and kind of forced.

Reference to a story in NYC yesterday where a cabbie tossed a coupla dudes out of his cab after they were either hugging or making out. Said cabbie is gonna get it from the Taxi & Limousine Commission.

I mean, there are a lot of places in this land of ours where you can belittle, minimize or otherwise disrespect gay people without fear of retribution, but holy shit, New York City is NOT one of them.

Guest Speed Racer

I mean, there are a lot of places in this land of ours where you can belittle, minimize or otherwise disrespect gay people without fear of retribution, but holy shit, New York City is NOT one of them.

I am still shocked when people actually thinks it's alright to do or say stuff like that - so shocked that when it happens in person I can barely speak up. At a luncheon we had with clients last year, right before the election, one woman at my table started talking about the evils of homosexuality and how the gays were conspiring to undermine god's plan for all of us. Now, I don't have "GAYWAD" stamped on my forehead, but everyone at the table looked at her, looked at me, and all rummaged through their purses and pockets for their Blackberries until an elderly client of ours smiled and said, "You sure are right; fall is the best season of the year, hands down!" and someone else thankfully chimed in about pumpkin carving.

We didn't invite her this year, and she still came back. :mellow

I am still shocked when people actually thinks it's alright to do or say stuff like that - so shocked that when it happens in person I can barely speak up. At a luncheon we had with clients last year, right before the election, one woman at my table started talking about the evils of homosexuality and how the gays were conspiring to undermine god's plan for all of us. Now, I don't have "GAYWAD" stamped on my forehead, but everyone at the table looked at her, looked at me, and all rummaged through their purses and pockets for their Blackberries until an elderly client of ours smiled and said, "You sure are right; fall is the best season of the year, hands down!" and someone else thankfully chimed in about pumpkin carving.

We didn't invite her this year, and she still came back. :mellow

Wow, I wish I had the power to totally mess up god’s well laid plans. You know, Speedy, you and your people could ransom the universe’s entire future for like, I don’t know, an infinite supply of just like, the most heavenly bacon.

My neighborhood is crazy gay friendly, and yet this happened a couple of years ago. (Long story short, a lesbian couple was refused service in a convenience store because they were too cuddly with each other in line).

If this stuff happens in JP what chance is there for the rest of the US?? (I was in JP just a few weeks back actually.)

LouieB