Your favorite 80's American "college rock" band

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your favorite 80's underground band?

• R.E.M. (the I.R.S. years)
    • Hüsker Dü
    • Minutemen
    • Meat Puppets
    • Camper Van Beethoven
    • Pixies
    • Sonic Youth
    • Violent Femmes
    • The Replacements
    • other (please specify because we wanna know!)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest McGuffin

Voted Replacements. Had my REM fixation in the very late 80s and early 90s. They started to decline with Out of Time. What's the Frequency is their last decent tune if you ask me. Everything subsequent to that I don't like.

• 8 months later...

Doing a search for "Dukes of Stratosphear" I came across this thread. And I loved reading it so much that I thought that I would bump it.

Hopefully, you all will enjoy reading it again as much as I did. (And maybe some of you who have not yet chimed in, will do so.)

Love,

Todd

I can't believe Camper Van Beethoven didn't get any votes. :ohwell

I voted for R.E.M., but by the time I was actually in college ('86-'90), I listened to Camper way more often.

3 pages and absolutely no love or mention of Dinosaur Jr?

Really WTF people?

seriously, i never get why on this type of thread there's always somebody who complains about the bands people have named so far

maybe - just maybe - nobody on the first three pages mentioned Dinosaur Jr because nobody who has posted so far liked Dinosaur Jr as much as other 80s American college rock bands

just a guess

so that's WTF

for me, it was the dBs, Feelies and REM

I realize that SY may have been the most groundbreaking and REM the most influential, but the band that I actually listened to the most: Violent freakin Femmes.

Daaaaayyyyyy ...

(BTW, I just missed actually being in college in the 1980s - started in 1992 - so maybe my opinion is not as relevant)

Mats first, REM second. First heard the Replacements in high school when Let it Be came out. A (very) alternative station played "Gary's Got a Boner". I thought, "There is a band who understands what it is like to be male and 15 years old." I was hooked.

I agree with an earlier post that after What's the Frequency, Kenneth? REM hasn't put out much that I have wanted to listen to.

• 1 year later...