Time for more pedals

So I've got some extra xmas money to spend and a birthday coming up in a few weeks so I think it's about time to look at getting some more guitar pedals.

Right now I've got a pretty basic setup (that I actually like quite a bit) either my Jazzmaster or Strat ->Boss DS-1 ->Big Muff ->Line 6 DL-4 ->Fender Pro Jr. There's not a lot of crazy stuff going on there, but I like it. Anyway, I'm looking to get a couple more things. I've lined up a TU-2 from a friend so I can add a tuner into the works and I'm probably going to get an Ernie Ball volume pedal at some point pretty soon, but I'd like to add a compressor and possibly a noise-suppressor/gate (to get rid of some single coil hum).

So in terms of compressors I was mostly looking at the Boss CS-3 and MXR-102/132 compressors, and am not really decided on which route to go. Any advice there would be helpful.

In the noise suppression/gate department I was looking at the ISP decimator, MXR smartgate, and EH XO pedal (leaning to one of the first two since they seem a little more adjustable).

So yeah, if you've got any suggestions/personal experiences that would be awesome.

I've heard good things about the Barber Toner Press, but also check out the Guyatone ST-2; it also has a switch (though not a blend knob) for adding the uncompressed signal back into the mix for a more natural sound. I like it a lot, and my friend who's a studio engineer loves it to tears. Everybody's tastes and needs are different, though, so check it out for yourself.

I think the Keeley is a straight Ross clone (albeit with true bypass and not 30 years old) and it's pretty magical (so I'm told), but you can also find other manufacturers making Ross clones or check out BYOC and make your own.

You might also look into Analogman's BiCompRosser, which allows you to switch between a Ross clone and an Orange Squeezer clone. I'd like to nab one of these because I am perpetually unsatisfied with my compressed tone, but I am also poor so I will not be getting one anytime soon (also the waiting list makes me think that no one will be getting one anytime soon).

I've used the Boss CS-3, but I really don't like it. Nels Cline uses one, but he doesn't do as much chick'n pick'n as I do so that brings me to my next point: I suck. Also, different compressors are good for different things and what works for country, doesn't work for rock, doesn't work for jazz. Speaking of which, a lot of Nashville players swear by the Boss CS-2, which you might be able to snag on Ebay.

Also, I hear good things about the Celmo Sardine Can Compressor. It has a switch on it that makes me want it.

I've used the MXR DynaComp for many years and it is very nice. I can't remember why I don't use it more. I should dig that out. I think it didn't quite have the spit that I was looking for. Or to get that spit I had to squash the sound so much that I sucked out a lot of the guitar's natural sound. Still, you might like that.

I like the Marshall ED-1, but I think I'm the only one. I got carried away with the attack knob and annoyed the hell out of my (ex)bandmates.

Also check out the Line 6 compressor. It has three different compressor models and a built-in noise gate. I used one fairly regularly for a while, but mostly because I moved and I was too lazy to dig out my other compressors out of boxes when I had gigs.

I don't know if any of this helped, but hopefully I gave you a few more options to investigate.

Cheers!

. Also, different compressors are good for different things and what works for country, doesn't work for rock, doesn't work for jazz. Speaking of which, a lot of Nashville players swear by the Boss CS-2, which you might be able to snag on Ebay.

100% correct...compression can be a tweak, or a full on effect. most of them ultimately sound different from the others...

only compressor i use live anymore is the EH soul preacher...very good at what it does, but wont do everything...

so which ones would you suggest for the country/ chicken pickin' thang? (other than the cs2)

The Marshall ED-1 is a good all-around compressor and will get a good country sound, but I just realized that it's no longer made (or at least MF and zzounds no longer carry it).

A lot of folks like the Orange Squeezer for country. I've never used one so I can't say anything. I know that BBE made a squeezer clone, but I think they discontinued it (apparently a lot of my compressor knowledge is outdated). The BiCompRosser has a squeezer clone in it, and you get a nice Ross clone as well.

On the telecaster discussion page I frequent, some people love the Danelectro Surf & Turf. And it's only 30 bucks.

I like the DynaComp for country. Speaking of which, the Keeley is a Ross clone, which is a clone of the original script-logo DynaComp, so there aren't a lot of designs out there. I have a non-Keeley Ross clone that was my number 1 for a number of years; it's got a good country sound with the compression all the way up, but I used it mostly for the indie rock.

Actually, it's hard not to get a good country sound with the compression dimed on any compressor. You might also like the Squeeze setting on the Line6 Constrictor, and the built-in noise gate might be worth the (relatively reasonable) price of admission.

Anyway, check out the Keeley (though the classic voodoo has already surfaced that the old Keeleys are better than the new ones) if you have the cash to drop. But there are really a lot of good options. Just like with overdrive, compression is highly personal and dependent on your amp and your guitar. Try a few out in the store with your amp and guitar (or ones just like them) at volumes that you want to play and see which ones speak to you.

• 8 months later...

So I just got back from buying a new wah wah pedal but I'm kind of worried. I have used the Crybaby for over 20 years but they just don't seem to hold up and I'm getting tired of buying new ones. I just bought a VOX Wah Wah for the first time. Guy at the store said he liked them better. Less noise, sturdier, smoother sweep.

I'm actually more concerned about the change in tone I might get as I have a gig next Friday so don't have time to really adjust.

Any thoughts or preferences on the Vox vs. the Crybaby? I am having second thoughts and thinking about returning it and going with the tried and true.

So I just got back from buying a new wah wah pedal but I'm kind of worried. I have used the Crybaby for over 20 years but they just don't seem to hold up and I'm getting tired of buying new ones. I just bought a VOX Wah Wah for the first time. Guy at the store said he liked them better. Less noise, sturdier, smoother sweep.

I'm actually more concerned about the change in tone I might get as I have a gig next Friday so don't have time to really adjust.

Any thoughts or preferences on the Vox vs. the Crybaby? I am having second thoughts and thinking about returning it and going with the tried and true.

I don't use a wah anymore but I think I went through 3 or 4 crybabies before throwing in the towel. no durability at all.