IMing -- I don't get it

Oh, I disagree. I cannot imagine IMing with my co-workers, simply because so much can be misconstrued - unlike in phone conversations. In an email, I can state my whole question and, if the recipient is at his or her desk, receive an instantaneous reply. If I want to have a two-way conversation, not simply seek an answer to my question, there is absolutely I would consider IM an appropriate (or convenient) avenue for that. I would spend probaby 5 minutes having a 2-minute conversation, 3 minutes of which were confirming that the "yes" was referring to Question A, and the "that" in "That needs to be done by Friday" was referring to Item C. Instead, I can spend 10 seconds walking to my coworker and two minutes conversing, for a net loss of 2:20.

My experience with IMs and e-mails, having reviewed a random sampling of our company's e-communications daily for the past 3 years, is that IMs are silent phone calls, and people lose their inhibitions with IMs. Internally, they're for gossip and, well, "chat." E-mails are for longer communications - mostly for business.

if you IM or email me, there's a really good chance I will respond and answer whatever question you have. If you call and leave a voicemail, it goes into the black hole and is often ignored. I stare at my computer screen for the majority of my day. If a message pops up, it takes two seconds for me to respond and get back to what I was doing (or not doing). If you call, I might not pick-up (because there are annoying sales people that won't take no for an answer and only know how to reach me via phone/don't get the hint when I ignore an email) if you leave a voicemail for me and you don't pick up the phone right when I call you back, there is no physical reminder flashing at me that I need to address something. Because I have such a hefty workload and intense deadlines, if I don't address something immediately, it goes into a black hole and will forget it. Asking are you there in an IM, is a quick way to find out if someone is available right away to answer a question. There is an immediacy that comes with IM (and text messages) that one won't necessarily get with email or voicemail. If you send me an email, there's a really good chance I will see it even when I am not physically at my computer.

My workplace is small enough that I just walk to someone else's office if I have a question or need something. I only use IM for chats with friends or family that I don't work with. Google Chat is a great way to have a quick conversation with my wife, rather than us both being on the phone at our respective offices. Same goes for friends who work or live out of town.

Email works for this, too, but chat allows for immediate conversations.

I also love using IM during conference calls. you can bitch about your boss/coworkers in cognito with your (trusted) friends in real time!! :lol

I totally get this and do it quite frequently (e.g. "Are these people serious?" "How could this stupid a-hole get paid more than me?!", etc.).

Although the danger in this is when you are about to do you well-prepared very serious presentation, and your frind IMs you something about your boobs. Thenright as you are saying, "Thank you for taking the time" you spit out a quick giggle. Happens to me all the time.

Oh, I disagree. I cannot imagine IMing with my co-workers, simply because so much can be misconstrued - unlike in phone conversations. In an email, I can state my whole question and, if the recipient is at his or her desk, receive an instantaneous reply. If I want to have a two-way conversation, not simply seek an answer to my question, there is absolutely I would consider IM an appropriate (or convenient) avenue for that. I would spend probaby 5 minutes having a 2-minute conversation, 3 minutes of which were confirming that the "yes" was referring to Question A, and the "that" in "That needs to be done by Friday" was referring to Item C. Instead, I can spend 10 seconds walking to my coworker and two minutes conversing, for a net loss of 2:20.

Many things get misconstrued on the phone from tone to pronunciation. If your recipient isn't actively checking his/her e-mail, then you have a delayed response. If you and your recipient used IM, and if your recipient is at desk, (s)he will see the notification without actively looking for inbox; if (s)he isn't at the desk, then (s)he will not receive it until (s)he gets back. IMs are for long distance communication, and convenience. If they're in close proximity, of course you'd walk to talk to your coworkers.

Also, factor in the possibility that people prioritize conversations differently from urgent to secondary.

who are you again?

just some hot chic that IMs you while you're on your bike or when Spawn is within earshot.

--

how long do i have to wait to change my name back to isadorah, :stunned oh wait, you were just being funny.

If you can't have IM software on your computer, you can still log into your Gmail and use the Google Talk feature that way.

I don't work but Jay and I use Google Talk to communicate throughout the day while he's at work. I absolutely hate talking on the phone, mainly because as soon as I pick up the phone, my kids want my attention or start fighting and it's really hard to carry on a conversation sometimes. When I did work, I would use AIM to talk to coworkers. I was a benefit rep and we would be on the phone a lot with various employees and it was easy to just IM a quick question to a coworker without having to put the phone on hold and get up and walk to their desk. We would also use AIM to chit chat with each other as standing around at someone else's desk for something that was not work related was frowned upon.