Amazing Studio Albums

and i quote... "Do you think those illustrators might be disenchanted because they are artists doing things they don't consider to be art?"

and i repeat "Is it still art if the "artist" doesn't view it as art?"

seems to me that were going round in circles now.

a lot of you have orange cat pictures next to your name. it's kinda confusing me...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

and i quote... "Do you think those illustrators might be disenchanted because they are artists doing things they don't consider to be art?"

and i repeat "Is it still art if the "artist" doesn't view it as art?"

Thank you for repeating that which I've already read, but you'll notice that it doesn't directly address my post at all. :thumbup Should I repeat a phrase of mine I enjoyed, too?

i guess i would agree with that. pretty much 100%. and that kinda brings up back to art being subjective. which does make a list of superior studio albums just a list of peoples favorite studio albums. verying interesting. i guess this was a pretty pointless thread. sorry to waste everyones time.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't think a piece of art's definition/meaning/worthiness ends with the creator, though. If the illustrator finishes a project, and hates it, but someone looks at it, and forms some sort of connection to it, then it's a piece of art.

To me, at least.

An excellent point I almost brought up myself in regards to the thread itself (once you create a thread, it's in the hands of everyone else to do with as they wish). I doubt Cryptique's clientele read and reread his amazing technical writing (no offense), but there are certainly a lot of people who wear idiotic designs on t-shirts every day that they enjoy very much; whether their creator enjoys them or not doesn't matter at all.

I don't think a piece of art's definition/meaning/worthiness ends with the creator, though. If the illustrator finishes a project, and hates it, but someone looks at it, and forms some sort of connection to it, then it's a piece of art.

To me, at least.

:rotfl

"I don't think a piece of art's definition/meaning/worthiness ends with the creator, though. If the illustrator finishes a project, and hates it, but someone looks at it, and forms some sort of connection to it, then it's a piece of art.

To me, at least."

This is pretty much Mr. Tweedy's view as well isn't?

"I don't think a piece of art's definition/meaning/worthiness ends with the creator, though. If the illustrator finishes a project, and hates it, but someone looks at it, and forms some sort of connection to it, then it's a piece of art.

To me, at least."

This is pretty much Mr. Tweedy's view as well isn't?

Probably. He's awesome, I consider myself fairly awesome, so it all makes sense.

And Art Garfunkel just won the thread.

if art really is just a form of visual comminication... we have the sender, the message, the receiver, and feedback. so i would have to agree that art does not end at the artists intentions.

I think this answers the original thing I was making fun of. An illustrator has no intentions. What ever company they work for has an intention, the dude drawing isn't trying to communicate a damn thing. And if the person looking at it gleans some connection from it, that hasn't got anything to do with the person who illustrated the thing.

Guest Speed Racer

And if the person looking at it gleans some connection from it, that hasn't got anything to do with the person who illustrated the thing.

That's an incomplete argument. If my intention was to visually communicate the despair I felt after my mother's death, and a viewer gleans from my work a joyful message, does that negate the viewer's connection? Does that mean she didn't adequately experience the "art" of it because she did not connect with my intention?

But if the company has an intention, then that qualifies as the sender. The company is communicating, they just do it through someone else's ideas/skills. The illustrators intentions are to represent the company's intentions as clearly as possible. So the connection someone gets from it has a lot to do with the person who illustrated it.

thanks for getting us back on track, Dude. Have a caucasian on me.

Edit: this is a semi sarcastic comment, fyi. while i appreciate the dude's commitment to my original post, i feel that this thread has become so derailed it will never be a fragmeent of its former self. especially in light of recent discussion concerning the proliferation of prolific art... prolific art garfunkel.

thanks for getting us back on track, Dude. Have a caucasian on me.

:stunned It was a bit of a joke nomination. MMM was actually recorded on a 4-track in Lou's apartment, which probably disqualifies it for that alone, not even getting into what's on the record itself.

you are a character. I'm only vaguely familiar with the VU's stuff and not so much Lou. Good joke. On a side note, what's wrong with recording on a 4 - track? I think that's what Ween used for their first couple of records... granted i wouldn't put any of thier first couple of records on a list of this sort anyways. I guess i get your point. I also think the joke might be on me... but whatever, it always makes me happy to make people smile.