Amazing Studio Albums

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are a character. I'm only vaguely familiar with the VU's stuff and not so much Lou. Good joke. On a side note, what's wrong with recording on a 4 - track? I think that's what Ween used for their first couple of records... granted i wouldn't put any of thier first couple of records on a list of this sort anyways. I guess i get your point. I also think the joke might be on me... but whatever, it always makes me happy to make people smile.

Nah, not you specifically, just me being a general smartass. Welcome to VC. :cheers

In all seriousness, a lot of the albums already mentioned would be pretty high on my list. I don't have much further to add other than small bursts of stupidity. :stunned

Son Volt --- Trace

Bruce Springsteen --- Born to Run

The Beatles --- Abbey Road, Revolver

The Clash --- London Calling

U2 --- Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree

Wilco --- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Prince --- Purple Rain

[/i]Also:

Little Feat Waiting for Columbus

ed. oops. WFC isn't studion. My b.

But still probably the finest live recording ever...that or Warren Zevon's Stand in the Fire

Muse - The Resistance

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Pixies - Doolittle

Oh, I see what you did there.

? I've analyzed my 4 selections and can't find a common connection. I agree with a lot of the lists on here, just wanted to show some love for those.

? I've analyzed my 4 selections and can't find a common connection. I agree with a lot of the lists on here, just wanted to show some love for those.

You posted a list of albums you dig, thus fulfilling the original intent of the thread, which had been forgotten after numerous pages worth of comments about what is or isn't art.

You posted a list of albums you dig, thus fulfilling the original intent of the thread, which had been forgotten after numerous pages worth of comments about what is or isn't art.

Ah, I thought that that may have been what you meant.

It's ok though, I usually make mistakes on February 5th.

(getting off topic again)

I've always felt that Zappa's albums had an outstanding sonic quality, like Apostrophe, Overnite Sensation, One Size Fits All, and Joe's Garage. They just sounded so "thick" to me. Part of the appeal to discovering his catalogue was the incredible production.

Seconded, as you could probably guess from my avatar. :lol

I would add Waka/Jawaka & Grand Wazoo to that list.

Other greats:

Bruce Cockburn - In The Falling Dark, Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws & Stealing Fire

... and a whole buncha others!

Yeah, I'm kind of at a loss here. Every non live album I like is an amazing studio album. Is there some kind of limit we are looking for? Like great production values?

Exactly. For me an amazing studio album, apart from resonating with my inner being and all that, should have (a) all solid tracks, (b ) a coherent theme or "vibe", and (c ) some really masterful production work.

A few that I think qualify:

60s - Astral Weeks, Rubber Soul, Hwy61

70s - Loaded, DSOTM, Ziggy Stardust, The Original Soundtrack, A Night At The Opera, Exodus

80s - Avalon, Brothers In Arms, Sheffield Steel, Straight Outta Compton

90s - The Score, The Slim Shady LP, The Ghost Of Tom Joad

00s - At Dawn, 10 New Songs, YHF

These are just my weird picks. The Score (Fugees) would probably be my prime example of a fully realized studio album with outstanding songs and perfectly crafted production. But there are other criteria, like if you feel that the album should sound "live" and raw- in that case I'd point to something like Blood On The Tracks, Nebraska, Tom Joad...

Hey Terrapin, I don't want you to think I was bagging on your thread or anything. I was just confused by what definition of amazing we are going by. Lammy's makes the most sense I guess, basically an album you sit and listen to from beginning to end with no thought of even wanting to skip any of the tracks? That's still a tough one for me, I rarely skip tracks on any albums but I am lazy.

definitely Born to Run

of course YHF

Squeezing Out Sparks

Exile

London Calling

East Side Story

Basement Tapes

Perfect From Now On

Daydream Nation

Imperial Bedroom

Hollywood Town Hall

Good News for People who Love Bad News