Umphrey's Mcgee covers WIlco last night for Valentines Day

i'm not really a fan of any of those jam bands, but i guess this is ok. i mean it's basically note for note the same as the original only the singing is relatively boring.

i would have enjoyed it more if they made it their own a little more

i'm not really a fan of any of those jam bands, but i guess this is ok. i mean it's basically note for note the same as the original only the singing is relatively boring.

i would have enjoyed it more if they made it their own a little more

I understand what you are saying, but Umphrey's is known for covering songs exactly as they originally are.

p.s. Jam bands aren't that bad

I understand what you are saying, but Umphrey's is known for covering songs exactly as they originally are.

p.s. Jam bands aren't that bad

i used to listen to jam bands, like moe and i've even seen UM before. i don't think they are bad, i just kind of get bored with them.

i like songs more than jams.

...that being said, i still love the grateful dead because i feel they wrote songs and jammed to them, not the other way around

i used to listen to jam bands, like moe and i've even seen UM before. i don't think they are bad, i just kind of get bored with them.

i like songs more than jams.

...that being said, i still love the grateful dead because i feel they wrote songs and jammed to them, not the other way around

I agree. With that being said, I think that Wilco (If they played frequent covers) could do a great Dead song.

Also, I'm not a big Jam band guy. I've seen UM like 23 times and I've been to a few Phish shows. I missed the Dead and Jerry because I was too young. But yeah, I only like 3 jam bands I guess. It is a genre of music with a lot of shitty bands in my opinion.

Also, I'm not a big Jam band guy. I've seen UM like 23 times.

So you're not a big jam band guy? I kid, I kid...I can dig some UM, Phish and Grateful Dead. I went through a big Phish, Widespread Panic and String Cheese Incident phase back in high school. Friends who rode in my car must have been so annoyed to have to always listen to 17-minute jams...

Maybe the just like the song and enjoy playing it and aren't worried about making it their own.

exactly. The reason they played it was because there was a fan poll on the UM website during the days leading up to the Valentines Day show. All of the potential covers all had to do with hearts, love, relationships, jesus, etc. ;) But anyways, the fans chose the Wilco song. So hell yeah.

exactly. The reason they played it was because there was a fan poll on the UM website during the days leading up to the Valentines Day show. All of the potential covers all had to do with hearts, love, relationships, jesus, etc. ;) But anyways, the fans chose the Wilco song. So hell yeah.

It's got an innocent enough melody but I'd hardly call IATTBYH a Valentine favorite...

I'm wondering aloud what's the point of a cover like this? Sure, it's a well done copy but so was Van Sant's "Psycho" remake and that's arguably the most idiotic idea in film history. Admittedly trying to put a spin on a song and mangling it (like Norah Jones) isn't the way to go either.

Obviously there is a bunch of different reasons to cover songs, but I'm pretty sure the UM are fans of Wilco and just wanted to do it for fun and to entertain themselves and the audience. Not everything a band puts out has to be an artistic statement, sometimes it's fun just to play music that you like, regardless of if you wrote it or not.

It's got an innocent enough melody but I'd hardly call IATTBYH a Valentine favorite...

Well, If you are gonna keep butting heads on the issue, lets just drop it. At least UM makes an effort to cover songs and change it up once in a while for the fans. God only knows if the pretentious Jeff Tweedy would ever play a popular cover more than once a year. :thumbup

Fellow Chicago band appreciation society?.

I think you're right, Dude. I missed the show, but if I recall correctly Glenn opened for UM down here in Indy a couple of years ago.

Imo UM stands out from many bands of the genre simply because those dudes have some serious chops.

Well, If you are gonna keep butting heads on the issue, lets just drop it. At least UM makes an effort to cover songs and change it up once in a while for the fans. God only knows if the pretentious Jeff Tweedy would ever play a popular cover more than once a year. :thumbup

you really don't need to take these discussions too seriously, the cover itself is great. I just think you lost a whole lot of your credibility by attacking Jeff Tweedy without provocation and unjustfully.

you really don't need to take these discussions too seriously, the cover itself is great. I just think you lost a whole lot of your credibility by attacking Jeff Tweedy without provocation and unjustfully.

Ok guy. I wasnt really attacking him per say, just trying to get a rise out of you. In all, subject dropped. :cheers

There's actually a little backstory on how they chose this:

http://www.jambands.com/news/2010/02/17/wilco-welcomes-peter-buck-and-bill-frisell-receives-valentine-from-umphrey-s-mcgee

Meanwhile, Wilco’s Chicago neighbors Umphrey’s McGee paid tribute to Jeff Tweedy and company at Baltimore, MD’s Ram’s Head Live! on Valentine’s Day. Before the show the group asked fans to vote on what cover to play as part of its ValUMtines Day Song Poll. Wilco’s “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” won, and the band debuted the song at the start of its second set. Below is a list of the ValUMtine's Day Songs.

Poll results as posted on Umphrey’s McGee’s homepage:

Wilco, “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart”—25.3%

Prince, “I Would Die 4 U”—20.6%

Death Cab for Cutie, “I Will Possess Your Heart”—12.4%

J. Geils Band, “Love Stinks”—2.1%

Stone Temple Pilots, “Sour Girl”—9.1%

Beck, “Think I’m in Love”—8.8%

Roxy Music, “Love Is the Drug”—7.2%

Def Leppard, “Love Bites”—5.3%

Kiss, “Love Em’ and Leave Em‘”—3.9%