The Tallest Man on Earth

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! I was lucky to see him open for Bon Iver back in December here, but was out of town for the most recent appearances. It's seemed like he's been in Wisconsin quite a bit over the past 6 months or so. I guess he's touring in the U.S. pretty vigorously - hopefully earning fans as he goes.

he's also playing bardens boudoir in london on 9th september

i can't fucking WAIT.

• 7 months later...

i'll preface this by saying i love TTMOE. he's great, music is excellent.

that said, i think it's funny how some bands are required to "change" their direction every album these days, and some don't and no one complains about it. weird how that works.

true... but with a voice like his and keeping it strictly solo acoustic there's not really TOO much change that can be made in his case i'd argue. plus it's only his 2nd album ;)

new album 'The Wild Hunt' due April 13th on Dead Oceans

mp3 of 'King of Spain' (which he's been playing live for a long time and is a total highlight):

http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Tallest%20Man%20on%20Earth%20-%20King%20of%20Spain.mp3

US tour in April/May :dancing

Hell yes. Yet another bit of supporting evidence for my 2010 Music > 2009 Music theory.

• 2 weeks later...

Wed Apr 14, 2010 Buffalo, NY The Ninth Ward -

Thu Apr 15, 2010 Winooski, VT The Monkey House -

Fri Apr 16, 2010 Montreal, QC Petit Campus -

Sat Apr 17, 2010 Toronto, ON El Mocambo -

Tue Apr 20, 2010 New York, NY Highline Ballroom -

Wed Apr 21, 2010 Cambridge, MA Middle East Downstairs -

Thu Apr 22, 2010 Philadelphia, PA World Cafe Live Upstairs -

Fri Apr 23, 2010 Washington, DC Black Cat -

Mon Apr 26, 2010 Chapel Hill, NC Gerrard Hall -

Wed Apr 28, 2010 Atlanta, GA The Earl -

Thu Apr 29, 2010 Birmingham, AL The Bottletree -

Sun May 02, 2010 Austin, TX Stubb’s BBQ (Indoor) -

Tue May 04, 2010 Phoenix, AZ Rhythm Room -

Wed May 05, 2010 La Jolla, CA UCSD - The Loft -

Sat May 08, 2010 Brookdale, CA Historic Brookdale Lodge -

Sun May 09, 2010 San Francisco, CA The Independent -

Tue May 11, 2010 Portland, OR The Mission Theater -

Wed May 12, 2010 Vancouver, BC St. James Hall -

Fri May 14, 2010 Edmonton, AB Brixx -

Sat May 15, 2010 Calgary, AB Local 522 -

Mon May 17, 2010 Salt Lake City, UT Kilby Court -

Tue May 18, 2010 Boulder, CO Fox Theatre -

Wed May 19, 2010 Denver, CO The Bluebird Theater -

Fri May 21, 2010 Iowa City, IA The Mill -

Sat May 22, 2010 Northfield, MN Carleton College -

Sun May 23, 2010 Minneapolis, MN Varsity Theater -

Tue May 25, 2010 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theater -

Wed May 26, 2010 Bloomington, IN The Dome House -

Thu May 27, 2010 Fort Wayne, IN The Brass Rail -

Fri May 28, 2010 Chicago, IL Lincoln Hall -

• 1 month later...

So I'd heard about this guy a while back, around the time his debut disc Shallow Graves came out, but the immediate Dylan comparisons were a bit of a turn-off (that makes it sound like I don't like Dylan--not the case)...anyway, it was a while before I eventually checked the album out, and I didn't give it much of a chance at first. I think partly this was because the tracklisting was all messed up when I originally downloaded it, and there wasn't much flow to the album. I eventually got the tracklisting figured out and started really getting into it, but this wasn't until this past December or January. And then his next album, The Wild Hunt, which is due out in ten days time, leaked back in February. And it's really fantastic. It isn't a huge departure from what he's done previously--if anything, it seems like he's honed his craft to an even sharper point. There was a dark mysteriousness to the first album that's gone on the new one, which disappointed me at first, but in its place is an even stronger collection of songs, IMO. There's been a real leap in the quality of melodies, the lyrics are just as strong as before, and his voice (a point of contention for many, I'm sure) hasn't lost an ounce of that unique rawness. It's been a long time since I've been this captivated by just a guy and his guitar, and there's a timelessness about all these songs. They certainly don't feel like they were recorded in the past few years, but almost like they're long-lost relics that have just surfaced.

I'll be seeing him on Sunday at Sasquatch! at the end of May, and he's playing here in Vancouver a couple weeks prior to that. Don't have tickets to the latter show yet, but I really need to get on that. Anyone checked out his self-titled EP? It's his one release that I've yet to hear.

i'm a huge fan myself.

anyway, to answer your question:

i mean, the self-titled EP is easily as good as the debut album, just shorter. one song ("Into The Stream") is actually a repeat. if you are trying to complete your discography, there is a free track he donated to the Yellow Bird Project online (called "A Field Of Birds") and the "King of Spain" single from the new album has 2 b-sides. one is a cover of "Graceland" and another is a gorgeous, gorgeous balled called "Where I Thought I Met The Angels."

-justin

• 2 weeks later...