Happy Record Store Day!

I apologize for the plugginess of this, but the store I work at (Laurie's Planet of Sound in Chicago) should have plenty of the Kicking Television vinyl and Pat (and John I think?) will be DJing from 5-6. Drop in, say hi, bring a beverage and have a good time! Wilco have always been so great to indie stores, and the one I work at specifically. Of course if you can't make it to my store, go buy SOMETHING at an indie store today! anything from a cheap-o 7" to a super-cool Kicking Television box set!

Lined up about 45 minutes early with a bunch of other geeks outside of Ear X Tacy here in Louisville. By the time the doors opened there were probably 50 people in line. The whole RSD display was one big table in a corner of the store and within seconds of opening it was mobbed. People were grabbing up records by the armload. I initially couldn't find KTV then I noticed it was behind the counter, so I focused on that first then swept back and got the DBT 7", the Ted Leo 7", the Stones 7" with an excellent "Exile" outtake on it, got the new Dr. Dog on vinyl, the Springsteen 10" and the two Joe Strummer lps. That was it for me. Some customers literally had $500 and up worth of vinyl. It was pretty over the top. Good to see so many people enthusiastic about vinyl, and for the record the average age was probably around 40, so it was certainly more than just hipsters and youngsters.

Lauries was an absolute mob scene and I arrived around 5 PM. Hopefully these folks will continue to patronize the place after this is over.

Oh yea, and to the VCer who got me to buy him some stuff last year and then didn't pay me. Feel free to send a check if you get a chance.

LouieB

I went to one up here in Appleton, WI and it was pretty packed too. I was actually very shocked how crowded it was. Spent way too much money, but it was worth it. I got Mississippi John Hurt's "Today" and John Fahey's "The Yellow Princess" and five other records too. I wish I could have found the 7 inch record of "Paperback Writer/Rain" by The Beatles, but the store said they did not have it.

Hopefully, people will continue to buy at record stores.

Twist and Shout in Denver was packed with a line snaking all the way around the store. Looked like they sold out of the blue vinyl Chronic town fairly quickly (grabbed one myself). They had tons of the kicking television boxes but I couldn't make myself spend the $65 on it. I did end up buying a ton of stuff though.

Lauries was an absolute mob scene and I arrived around 5 PM. Hopefully these folks will continue to patronize the place after this is over.

:wave Nice seeing you, Lou! I'm glad I happened to be in Chicago this weekend so I could support Laurie's on RSD! And then today I picked up the items I had on hold at Strictly Discs here in town. An expensive, but satisfying, couple of days.