Jay Farrar & Mark Spencer 2010-06-03

Caught Jay Farrar and Mark Spencer at the Birchmere last night. Jay was on an acoustic guitar all night, and Mark alternated among acoustic, electric, pedal steel and keyboard. They played mostly newish songs, although they pulled out a few from Sebastopol, along with the obligatory Windfall and Tear Stained Eye from Trace. Jay seemed to be in a pretty good mood, and even told a joke or two, sort of. ("Some of these songs mention God in the lyrics. When I think about what God looks like, I picture Willie Nelson.")

The highlight of the evening was an acoustic duet of "Still Be Around"--Jay said they'd not played it before (?). It was the last song of the main set and got a standing ovation from a good part of the crowd. They had a very short applause-filled encore break, then came back for 2 more. The whole show was done by 10 pm, which is pretty awesome for us old dudes who have to go to work the next day.

I don't have a complete set list, but here's what I remember. I'm sure I missed a few, and these are mostly out of order:

Down to the Wire

The Picture

When the Wheels Don't Move ("This one goes out to British Petroleum")

Feel Free

Dynamite

Cocaine and Ashes

Pushed Too Far

Big Sur

No Turning Back

Dust and Daylight

Roll On

Methamphetamine

Bandages and Scars

Afterglow 61

Outside the Door

Tear Stained Eye

Damn Shame

Still Be Around

Girl Made in Japan (Buck Owens cover)

Windfall

Sh*t. I had no idea this was even happening. I would have been there.

Yeah, Jay doesn't exactly have a publicity machine. The gig was listed in last Sunday's Post as a coming attraction, but overall not a lot of hype. Surprisingly, the place was pretty full--good for him. But the merch table was unspeakably lame--a bunch of Allison Moorer (opening act) T-shirts, and some American Central Dust CDs. Come on, Jay--I'm more than willing to shell out $25 for a T-shirt, but you have to do your part.

I am going tonight. Looking forward to it, but I am kind of bummed that "Jay Farrar Solo" apparently means "Jay Farrar with Mark Spencer." I've got nothing against Spencer, but I always prefer one dude and his guitar. Oh well. :(

"Still Be Around" is one of my favorites, and I saw Jay do it years ago in Madison. I remember he switched around some of the pronouns, which seemed weird at the time. "If it breaks in two will you put it back together?" etc.

Yeah, Jay doesn't exactly have a publicity machine. The gig was listed in last Sunday's Post as a coming attraction, but overall not a lot of hype. Surprisingly, the place was pretty full--good for him. But the merch table was unspeakably lame--a bunch of Allison Moorer (opening act) T-shirts, and some American Central Dust CDs. Come on, Jay--I'm more than willing to shell out $25 for a T-shirt, but you have to do your part.

I get most of my concert tips from the local music blogs - City Paper, DCist, WaPo's Click Track, etc. - and didn't see one mention of it. I would think that they'd at least make a small mention of it, but everyone was too busy covering Paul McCartney getting the Gershwin Prize at the White House...

I heard Jay Do "Still be Around" back a few years ago at Joes Pub...Looks like a good setlist though..Was going to go tonight in Hoboken but am still recovering from a trip earlier in the week :unsure

come on remphish. meet me at Maxwell's. I'll buy you some beers. I'm heading out there by myself. My wife is staying home with my son.

come on remphish. meet me at Maxwell's. I'll buy you some beers. I'm heading out there by myself. My wife is staying home with my son.

Thanks for the offer! I just got back from Peru this week, hiking Machu Picchu...I am taking the wife out for the 2nd Anniversary tonight! Must do it another time! Next time I owe you a beer! We seem to go to the same concerts quite oftent! :dancing

Caught Jay Farrar and Mark Spencer at the Birchmere last night. Jay was on an acoustic guitar all night, and Mark alternated among acoustic, electric, pedal steel and keyboard. They played mostly newish songs, although they pulled out a few from Sebastopol, along with the obligatory Windfall and Tear Stained Eye from Trace. Jay seemed to be in a pretty good mood, and even told a joke or two, sort of. ("Some of these songs mention God in the lyrics. When I think about what God looks like, I picture Willie Nelson.")

The highlight of the evening was an acoustic duet of "Still Be Around"--Jay said they'd not played it before (?). It was the last song of the main set and got a standing ovation from a good part of the crowd. They had a very short applause-filled encore break, then came back for 2 more. The whole show was done by 10 pm, which is pretty awesome for us old dudes who have to go to work the next day.

I don't have a complete set list, but here's what I remember. I'm sure I missed a few, and these are mostly out of order:

Down to the Wire

The Picture

When the Wheels Don't Move ("This one goes out to British Petroleum")

Feel Free

Dynamite

Cocaine and Ashes

Pushed Too Far

Big Sur

No Turning Back

Dust and Daylight

Roll On

Methamphetamine

Bandages and Scars

Afterglow 61

Outside the Door

Tear Stained Eye

Damn Shame

Still Be Around

Girl Made in Japan (Buck Owens cover)

Windfall

i wish he would play the south. saw him solo in '03 and it was so damn good. his songs work well in that context. i love artists whose songs boil down to solo acoustic...tweedy, neil young, etc.