PIxies cancel Israel concert after deadly Gaza raid

Pixies call off Israel concert after Gaza raid

(AP)

JERUSALEM — The U.S. rock band Pixies has canceled a concert in Tel Aviv this week in the wake of Israel's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla.

The group's Tel Aviv promoter, Shuki Weiss, relayed a statement from the band announcing the cancellation "with great regret."

The band did not specify why it was pulling out of the gig, but organizers say the decision was related to last week's naval raid, which killed nine pro-Palestinian activists.

Various artists have recently come under heavy pressure from activists to boycott Israel because of its treatment of the Palestinians. Elvis Costello recently canceled a planned concert to protest Israeli policies.

Others, such as Elton John and Rod Stewart, are still planning to play Israel this summer.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h9_VQr7RPa67p3TydFvI036Rd0ugD9G5NPVG0

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for the Pixies. Not that their stand will change anything.

Agreed on both counts, but regarding the second one, you must draw the line somewhere, and surely the Pixies (admittedly small) act is better than Rod Stewart's or Elton John's lack of interest- which amounts to condoning these war crimes.

Agreed on both counts, but regarding the second one, you must draw the line somewhere, and surely the Pixies (admittedly small) act is better than Rod Stewart's or Elton John's lack of interest- which amounts to condoning these war crimes.

And -- Elton John just sang at Rush Limbaugh's wedding (his fourth marriage).

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20391620,00.html

I understand your point, remphish, but Israel is a functioning democracy and it's government (more or less) represents it's people. If some kid in Tel Aviv gets bummed out about the Pixies not playing, starts to ask questions, and comes to the conclusion that they aint's gonna get his vote, then the Pixies small protest will have been a success, and said kid will have received much more than a fond concert memory.

Neil Young didn't go to Kent State and play a show, he wrote "Ohio."

I understand your point, remphish, but Israel is a functioning democracy and it's government (more or less) represents it's people. If some kid in Tel Aviv gets bummed out about the Pixies not playing, starts to ask questions, and comes to the conclusion that they aint's gonna get his vote, then the Pixies small protest will have been a success, and said kid will have received much more than a fond concert memory.

Neil Young didn't go to Kent State and play a show, he wrote "Ohio."

I have also been very upset over Israel's action but this argument is kind of silly. It was not the university that killed the students it was the united states government.

As others have said plenty of bands play plenty of places where the governments are committing atrocities upon other populations and their own (like the one you mentioned, the united sates). Where is the call for bands to boycott the united states(outside of the state of Arizona)?

I feel bad for the young kids who just want to see a show. I understand it as a protest but it is slightly misguided. If the Pixies wanted to prove a point the should play Israel and state where there support lies during the show or play a rally before the show which supports their views etc...

I feel bad for the young kids who just want to see a show. I understand it as a protest but it is slightly misguided. If the Pixies wanted to prove a point the should play Israel and state where there support lies during the show or play a rally before the show which supports their views etc...

I feel bad for those kids too, but I feel worse for the people on the flotilla and their loved ones.

I see both sides of this. And I know that the Pixies and Elvis would never boycott the US for all the deaths this country has caused in Iraq and Afganistan. It's just a shame all around.

There are movements calling for boycotts of the US too, from the UK and Canada- you can google it. However, I find this comparison flawed because while there are powerful voices of dissention (ie hotly debated in major media outlets) in the US about the actions of the US government, there doesn't seem to be much from within Israel about the blockade in Gaza or their treatment of the Palestinians in the West Bank.

Israel might be a democracy but I am not sure how diverse or free their media is.

In fact, it can be difficult even in the US to be vocally critical of Zionism without being blacklisted either professionally, poliically or socially. I find this taboo especially strange as a new American. It feels to me like a weird new McCarthyism even among liberals.

I applaud the Pixies for making a silent protest.

However, I find this comparison flawed because while there are powerful voices of dissention (ie hotly debated in major media outlets) in the US about the actions of the US government, there doesn't seem to be much from within Israel about the blockade in Gaza or their treatment of the Palestinians in the West Bank.

Actually, this isn't true. There is plenty of dissent within Israel about their treatment of the Palestinians, the blockade, etc. One Israel's most influential newspapers, Haaretz, regularly questions government policies.

Where dissent on Israel is constantly suppressed, sadly, is in the United States. AIPAC has browbeaten the mainstream media and the politicians into absolute compliance with their agenda.

Where dissent on Israel is constantly suppressed, sadly, is in the United States. AIPAC has browbeaten the mainstream media and the politicians into absolute compliance with their agenda.

Helen Thomas.

there doesn't seem to be much from within Israel about the blockade in Gaza or their treatment of the Palestinians in the West Bank.

Israel might be a democracy but I am not sure how diverse or free their media is.

Without getting too much into this, things are different in the West Bank and Gaza, since the Palestinian government is run by different organizations in each. The Palestinian Authority in the West Bank is not viewed as a terrorist organization, whereas Hamas is viewed as such. Is it or isn't it? Honestly I don't know, but Hamas takes a much different tact on the existance of Israel.)

Also there are plenty of people in Israel who are interested in peace with the Palestinians. It is a very diverse and relatively free society. That does not mean that their government is any different than OUR government, which also supports useless war and unjust policies.

Never has a situation cried out for non-violent resistance as much as this one. The Palestinians can not beat the Israelis by the use of violence. I don't support the killing in this situation, not for one second, but in general Hamas is NOT adverse to violence. And the Israeli's can spin this situation to their advantage because violent resistance was clearly evident on one of the ships. Arms are being smuggled into Gaza, perhaps not by this flotilla, but through other channels. Non-violence is the only way to truly turn the tide and bring about a two state solution.

LouieB

It is a very diverse and relatively free society. That does not mean that their government is any different than OUR government, which also supports useless war and unjust policies.

Maybe this has no bearing on how different the Israeli government is from the American one, or their attitudes on war, but Israel is the only country in the world that has a mandatory military draft on all its citizens.

Maybe this has no bearing on how different the Israeli government is from the American one, or their attitudes on war, but Israel is the only country in the world that has a mandatory military draft on all its citizens.

It sees itself as constantly under siege, so this is hardly surprising.

Incidentally, Switzerland has compulsory service for all males. There are many other countries with compulsory service in some form.

On a personal note, though I am a pacifist by nature, I have long advocated mandatory service for Americans. I think a couple of years spent in service to my country would likely have put me on a different path (a better one, presumably), and I believe such service would be of enormous good to both the nation and its youth. However, I also believe that under a system of mandatory service, it would be necessary to make it far more difficult for the government to send troops into combat (i.e., it could only be for defense against a direct military threat to our territory by another sovereign state, or a very small number of other clearly defined purposes).

Actually this is not exactly true either, which is why pegging Israel is some sort of society that has no diversity is totally inaccurate. Ultra-orthodox Jews do not have to serve in the military.

The ONLY country in the world that has a manditory (military) draft? I will leave it to someone else to debunk this.

LouieB

Incidentally, Switzerland has compulsory service for all males. There are many other countries with compulsory service in some form.

lThanks for debunking this statement..I didn't read your post before I answered.

LouieB

Actually this is not exactly true either, which is why pegging Israel is some sort of society that has no diversity is totally inaccurate. Ultra-orthodox Jews do not have to serve in the military.

The ONLY country in the world that has a manditory (military) draft? I will leave it to someone else to debunk this.

LouieB

lThanks for debunking this statement..I didn't read your post before I answered.

LouieB

Unique though for drafting men and women - all it's citizens.

pegging Israel is some sort of society that has no diversity is totally inaccurate.

in my post I questioned the diversity of viewpoints that seem to be lacking coming out of Israel. But I am open to the possibility that the Western media fails to represent non mainstream view points that exist in Israel.

I feel like I am being misquoted and my words twisted when you imply that I think it is a homogenous society.