I have not seen all the nominees, but Esperanza Spalding in the same category with Justin Bieber?? Mind boggling. Artistically these two aren't even on the same planet.

Congrats to both the Numero Group for Light on the South Side and Archeophone for Fisk Jubiliee Singer...not in the same category.

LouieB

Band of Horses for Best Alternative Music album is ridiculous. There are a thousand albums better than that one, most notably High Violet, which received no nominations.

Why is there such a difference between the Oscars and the Grammys as far as identifying quality art? Katy Perry for Album of the Year is like nominating Transformers 2 for Best Picture. There is not a mainstream music awards show that one can even begin to take seriously.

Why is there such a difference between the Oscars and the Grammys as far as identifying quality art? Katy Perry for Album of the Year is like nominating Transformers 2 for Best Picture. There is not a mainstream music awards show that one can even begin to take seriously.

Agree with everything you said.

The Grammy nominations are so out of touch with real music fans tastes, always have been I suppose. Heck, these people don't even know what genre albums belong in. Anyone remember when Jethro Tull won an award for Hard Rock/Heavy Metal song of the year? I wouldn't trust these guys to tie their own shoes let alone pick nominees for the year.

If they ever do nominate a good band, they are usually way late to the party and the band is not even at their peak. Wilco is a perfect example. Their first nomination was for AGIB, nothing for BT, ST or YHF. Then they continue to get nominated for SBS and W(TA).

I believe this is the first time Arcade Fire has been nominated and most would agree that this album is worthy of nomination but not as good as some of their previous work. I'd be willing to bet that their next album is nominated even if it is subpar.

The other tendency is to nominate acts way past their prime that make a comeback, like Robert Plant, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan, etc.

Guest Speed Racer

If they ever do nominate a good band, they are usually way late to the party and the band is not even at their peak. Wilco is a perfect example. Their first nomination was for AGIB, nothing for BT, ST or YHF. Then they continue to get nominated for SBS and W(TA).

I believe this is the first time Arcade Fire has been nominated and most would agree that this album is worthy of nomination but not as good as some of their previous work. I'd be willing to bet that their next album is nominated even if it is subpar.

The other tendency is to nominate acts way past their prime that make a comeback, like Robert Plant, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan, etc.

The easy fix for this would be to have two new categories: "Growers," for nominating albums and acts previously snubbed, and "Second Wind" for the comebacks. :lol

Unfortunately, nobody is going to watch a music awards show with nominees that aren't huge sellers or nostalgia acts that the Average Joe knows.

They should include the huge sellers, just with categories like "Worst Popular Album (min. 500K copies sold)". That would be an awesome awards show. Include the most worthy albums for best of and slam the worst talent out there at the same time.

Realistically though, the Oscars will throw a high grosser in there from time to time that might not be as worthy as some others, but it's always at least a respectable movie. I wish the Grammys could at least find some middle ground.

They should include the huge sellers, just with categories like "Worst Popular Album (min. 500K copies sold)". That would be an awesome awards show. Include the most worthy albums for best of and slam the worst talent out there at the same time.

Realistically though, the Oscars will throw a high grosser in there from time to time that might not be as worthy as some others, but it's always at least a respectable movie. I wish the Grammys could at least find some middle ground.

The problem, though, in comparing the Oscars to the Grammys is the pool of potential nominees. The world of music is too expansive. At least with the Oscars, most people would still have heard of smaller movies that were nominated. That's not the case with music. It would be one top-seller in a field of nominees that the vast majority of people never knew existed.

The only category I'll care about kids' music. Our favorite, Justin Roberts, got a much deserved nominated. He's up against Pete Seeger and They Might Be Giants. Most voters will probably vote based upon name recognition.

I did not know about Justin Roberts until last night. My kids are too old for kids music anymore so this name didn't ring a bell, but it turned out one of my musician buddies, Gerald Dowd is his drummer and I ran into him last night at a Chris Mills show. It is really fun to know someone who actually played on a grammy nominated album. Hope this guy Justin Roberts wins.

Pete Seeger?? Really? Big fan, but he can barely sing anymore. He has put out great children's music over the years.

LouieB

Gerald is a great showman. He entertains the kids as much as anyone during Justin's shows.

He is a great showman. If anyone is in the Chicago area, he is part of Robbie Fulks' band and their end of year show is always a hoot.

I guess Dave Max Crawford is also on this album. Again my kids are grown so buying this isn't much of an option, although I do have some young neices now, so I may pick it up for them.

Louie

B

Band of Horses for Best Alternative Music album is ridiculous. There are a thousand albums better than that one, most notably High Violet, which received no nominations.

I agree with you. And High Violet is my album of the year.

But, I loved that Band of Horses disc. I really don't think it being nominated is a travesty or anything.

• 1 month later...

I don't really care about the Grammy's but Colbert's show on his picks was priceless with The Black Keys and Ezra from Vampire Weekend facing off in a "Sell out off" (pointing out what commercials have featured their songs).

Ezra: I'll knock those ironic glasses right off your face!

Dan Auerbach: "Bring it Cape Cod"!

(or something like that)

http://www.colbertnation.com/home