REM - New Song Free Download "Discoverer"

http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1250

Listened to it back-to-back several times now and like it a lot. Plenty of urgency and energy on this. It couldn't be anyone but REM but there's enough new stuff lurking in the background to make it interesting. Not to be too much of a muso but Bill Rieflin's drums kick like a mule and aren't a million miles away from something Bill Berry would play. Definitely hints of "Finest Worksong" and it wouldn't sound out of place on "Green", "Document", "NAIHF" or "Accelerate". Sounds like a great opening track. A very live feel and it's easy to imagine the band opening a show with this track. My wild, hairy guess from what I have heard from the dub-mix and the interviews is that "Collapse Into Now" is going to be a really diverse, multi-faceted album.

pretty decent lead off track. chorus is kind of unforgettable (until the very end, which the outro is great), but i love the intro and the production sounds WAY better than Accelerate (interesting considering they're both Jacknife Lee, who i'm not that fond of).

• 1 year later...

Time flies... it's been a year since this event, I remember receiving the download link in my inbox, and also remember the expectation and the excitement over the March 2011 release.

Check the track "Turn you inside-out" from Green, it's very similar to Discoverer.

Some people report that the reprise of Discoverer at the end of the CD is actually better than the actual song.

This thread just reminded me how irritated I was when I recieved the vinyl in the mail with no download coupon. I have listended to the album maybe 6 times on the old Technics but havent fully embraced it still a year later because I don't have a digital version(or as I put it in my email to R.E.M..."my record player in my car broke"). I buy my music. I don't file share or any of that stuff if I want a release I buy it and usually on vinyl if its available. This was the only time in the last few years I can remember being screwed by buying the vinyl...unlike our friends at Wilco who give you a cd and download when u buy their record. So pretty much out of spite I havent bought the cd or digital and my email to R.E.M was not answered..and yes I now realize they had some other stuff going on this year but still throw a freakin coupon in the sleeve!

This thread just reminded me how irritated I was when I recieved the vinyl in the mail with no download coupon. I have listended to the album maybe 6 times on the old Technics but havent fully embraced it still a year later because I don't have a digital version(or as I put it in my email to R.E.M..."my record player in my car broke"). I buy my music. I don't file share or any of that stuff if I want a release I buy it and usually on vinyl if its available. This was the only time in the last few years I can remember being screwed by buying the vinyl...unlike our friends at Wilco who give you a cd and download when u buy their record. So pretty much out of spite I havent bought the cd or digital and my email to R.E.M was not answered..and yes I now realize they had some other stuff going on this year but still throw a freakin coupon in the sleeve!

Apparently those people were busy emailing Baseball Project fans that's why you didn't get a response :)

About the CD ever since Jacknife Lee is (was) producing, the last two albums (three if you count the Olympia) have been awfully loud so you're doing a favor to your ears by just buying the vinyl.

I haven't bought the vinyl of Accelerate (it's pricey at over $30, but I have wanted to, since it was mastered differently and sounds better than the CD).